Pear Shapes and Jeans! Advice please!

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    What is mom jeans? To be honest I can't see any difference.

Mom jeans = high waisted, back pockets spaced at a weird angle, loose legs . They make your butt look wide and flat
    Aha OK thanks for the info. I'll put that in my mind when I shop for jeans
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Skinny=no. Boot leg midrise or straigh leg midrise. Old Navy, Torrid, Lane Bryant.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans don't look good on ANYONE who has any sort of shape to their body (except maybe banana shape).

If you have nice hips, or a butt etc it just makes you look fat even if you aren't (like a sausage). They are the worst "fashion" invention ever. They should be going out of style soon, they have over stayed their welcome.

I'm somewhere between hourglass and pear shaped (.68 hips to waist ratio, I think I lack enough boobage for be hourglass), and I quite personally prefer boot cut and flared leg jeans. I think they even us out better.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK but I find either UNIQLO or Levis jeans to be the best for my shape. Particularly the Levi demi-curve jeans- they are fantastic and really worth the money. Sad I have to replace mine soon as they are getting baggy!
  • abranch87
    abranch87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow pear shape 16/18 and I have the same issue because my actual waist size is 33inches. Forever 21 seems to fit good enough at times and i usually order from ALLOY.com(they have inseams from 29-37) which makes all the difference when getting a good fit. I was told by my grandma to buy jeans that fit my thigs and butts and take them to the cleaners and have them take it in.
  • EHabel10
    EHabel10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Levi's 'Bold Curve'. I find mine at Macys.com
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Levis supreme curve - love, love, love them.. sometimes I'll get away with a bold curve since they dont make a lot of designs for supreme just yet.
    i love skinny jeans - no reason why us pears cant wear (and look cute) in them !

also, id check out pzi jeans, ive heard good reviews about them (havent had a chance to try yet though )

good luck !
  • debdelilah
    Options
    There is a style going on, in junior's sizes especially, that the jeans are "hipsters" - they fit below the waist, they hug your legs tightly at the thigh and top of the calf, and they flare out at the ankle. They definitely feel tighter than standard pants putting them on - you have to kind of tug to get them up - but once they are up they are comfortable, and they button below the waist. Possibly you are buying a size too large, because of not being accustomed to the style. The way you described the jeans - so loose at the waist that they might fall down - makes me think this might be the case. They sit low at the hips, so if you buy a loose size, they will slide down to a point of indecency.

Alternatively, you can buy the even numbered missy sizes and avoid this style. It is kind of hard to find junior jeans that don't fit this way.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to invest in a pair of Levi Curves. I will go give them a try after what everbody has said!
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and wear Levi's curvy or have recently bought a pair of seven for all mankind. They were hideously expensive but fit like a glove - no belt needed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans don't look good on ANYONE who has any sort of shape to their body (except maybe banana shape).

I beg to differ. Anyone can wear any style. It's all a matter of how you wear it. You can't get much more eye-popping shape than Sofia Vergara and she rocks the hell out of them.

67097PCN_Sofia14.jpg

I'm somewhere between pair and hourglass. I'm not nearly buxom enough up top to be considered a true hourglass. I love how skinny jeans emphasize the curve of my hips. My calves a little on the skinny side compared to my thighs and quads, so I like how skinnies look best with boots. (At least in the cold months. I'll wear 'em with heels in the warm months.)

I'll even wear obnoxious print ones.

IMG_5504.jpg

I have no brand loyalty or suggestions beyond "try on EVERYTHING."
  • Lyreth_5389
    Lyreth_5389 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a style going on, in junior's sizes especially, that the jeans are "hipsters" - they fit below the waist, they hug your legs tightly at the thigh and top of the calf, and they flare out at the ankle. They definitely feel tighter than standard pants putting them on - you have to kind of tug to get them up - but once they are up they are comfortable, and they button below the waist. Possibly you are buying a size too large, because of not being accustomed to the style. The way you described the jeans - so loose at the waist that they might fall down - makes me think this might be the case.

maybe....but I'm a pear shape and this happens to me no matter the style. I only have one pair of jeans in my skinniest size that fits decently: Levi's signature bootcut. The rest of the time I walk around either muffin-topped or with a kangaroo pouch around my waist. I'm definitely going to have to check out the Levi's bold curve.

I look ridiculous in skinny jeans and have never ventured outside of a dressing room in them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    maybe....but I'm a pear shape and this happens to me no matter the style. I only have one pair of jeans in my skinniest size that fits decently: Levi's signature bootcut. The rest of the time I walk around either muffin-topped or with a kangaroo pouch around my waist. I'm definitely going to have to check out the Levi's bold curve.

I look ridiculous in skinny jeans and have never ventured outside of a dressing room in them.

The problem is that most junior jeans are cut for teenagers or younger who haven't developed hips yet. Once you have hips and a more defined waist, like pears and hourglass shapes have, it's difficult to wear juniors.

But it's not difficult to get a little dart put in the waist to make them fit properly if you have a tailor or can sew. Even as a very skinny child, I had that problem with jeans, and my mom used to add elastic to the back of my pants to keep them from gapping.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Levi's 529 Curvy Bootcut jeans.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love Michael Kors. His jeans are designed for curvy women and cut in just enough for my waist line. I love boot cut but that's because I hate squeezing in and out of jeans. I like them to be comfy. I sometimes find them on sale at discounters like TJ Max. Basically, you have to look around.

Monica

P.S. Some Levi's fit too but you have to try all their styles until the right style fits you. :)
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thread!

I've been shopping for new jeans and it's horrible...I find that the waist is always way too big, and most pairs fot snug in the thighs and butt. I do have some muscular legs...but the difference between the waist and hips is rediculous.

The biggest problem though...the back pockets!! The jeans looks absolutely adorable on the rack. I put them on and the back pockets are on my hamstrings. WTH???

Does anyone else have this issue? I am trying to figure out what type of shape the jeans manufacturers are making clothes for.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Target Fit 4, which has a mid-rise waist and a curvy cut through the hips and thighs. I've had pretty good luck with them, and Calvin Klein.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The Gap and New York & Co. have lots of styles to choose from and I can always find something that fits me there. No matter how skinny I get, I still hate the way I look in skinny jeans. Slim fit or straight leg is as skinny as I get.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I love Lane Bryant Venezia jeans. I'm a total pear and they look/fit great. Most other brands are just too big in the waist. I definitely think pears should stick to boot or regular cut. We have too much hip/thigh weight to look good in skinny jeans (Sofia included).
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've been buying Silvers and they fit really well. There are a bunch of different styles, so you do have to see what works best for you. The Aiko style is a not-so-low-it-shows-your-butt-crack and is a bootcut with nice slim hips. Very flattering jean and I'm totally a pear, my measurements are like 32-27-36.