How do you measure portions?

Options

Replies

• pickledginger
    Options
    Those little cups applesauce comes in? they're great portable and disposable half-cup measures.

I am generally cooking just for me, so I measure carefully when cooking then don't sweat details of how big each serving was. Or, if I am having yogurt and frozen berries, I just divide package size by the number of servings it'll make.

I have a good food scale, and cups, spoons, etc. They all get used.

If I had to eyeball it, though, I worked enough summers in food service that I can come very close.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups and spoons most of the time. Sometimes I trust my eyesight, but mostly don't trust it.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Food scale and measuring spoons.
  • Bess_74
    Options
    At home I use a cheap food scale and plate everything with measuring cups or tablespoons...no more serving spoons for me! When I can't measure & weigh I estimate. Heres my favorite guide to help you estimate more accuratley:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Food scale mostly, but when measuring I use measuring cups and spoons.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use dry measuring cups for dry things, liquid measuring cup for liquids, and measuring spoons for tiny amounts - the same as I do when I am cooking or baking.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    First I try to figure out what I'm having for the day and figure out how much I can have of certain things. Then I use a kitchen scale or measuring cups to get to that amount. If I don't eat it all I will try to measure it again to and subtract it from the initial qty. By doing this I can stay under my calories for the day.

If I'm eating something with a bone or other inedible parts I will weigh it out first then weigh the remains when done and enter the difference. That way I don't have to de-bone something that is too hot and burn my fingers or cools too much while doing that.

When making a huge batch of something I take measure everything enter it as a recipe and then I take the total weight and divide it to the calorie content I want for each portion (MFP is a huge help for this). Then I weigh out the portions (usually freezing most of it for later) to that.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Scale and for liquids a measuring cup, while I am at home.

When eating out I use common sense (which has improved from continously weighting things at home). Sometimes I eat at caffeterias or restaurants where I can find out how much food weigths and I rely on that number. I trust them. In the worst case they will give me less food than they say that it weights. :))
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I mainly use measuring cups and plastic containers. Using the measuring cups instead of a serving spoon, might not look classy but for every day portion control it works for me. We do a lot of freezing of meals and left overs. i found the glad and ziplock containers come in very easy to use sizes that automatically preportions.
    we buy our meats in bulk cause it's cheaper and the scale is useful for portioning before freezer bagging.
    I tried using those plastic containers that are like plates with sections. For me they didnt' really work well cause i could pile "up".

http://www.dietriffic.com/2007/05/07/a-visual-view-of-serving-size-using-everyday-items-2/

has "eye balling" tricks for portioining if you are out and about.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I can't eyeball it. Just not talented like that. I have a lot of measuring cups and I use a food scale. I find most of the time I get more food. Knowing I can't estimate well I tend to under estimate. Every now and then I'm surprised when something measures out to WAY less than I would have allowed.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale and several sets of measuring cups and spoons. I'm a cooking pro and pretty good at eyeballing it, but actual measuring tools are essential.
  • minsooky
    Options
    I use a food scale, it's easier that way. More accurate too.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    dinner I put onto a breakfast small size plate
    and I use small sized bowl 1/2 cup for soup etc
  • runnerkristin
    runnerkristin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use an electric kitchen scale for most things, which I adore for its accuracy. I use measuring cups and spoons for most liquids.

I'm terrible at judging portion sizes and the scale and cups means I'm not lying to myself about how much I'm eating and gives me consistency in my portions.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I use a scale that counts in ounces & measuring cups. It seems to work well.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I use all the above, scale, measuring cups and spoons. In fact I'll be taking them with me to Thanksgiving dinner.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Scales :)
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    i use food scales
    put my plate on, zero it
    add the starchy's, zero it
    add the meat, zero it
    i dont weigh my veggies. i weighed them the first time and i have about the same amount every time. plus not so much change if u are 10g out with those.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Depends what it is. I mostly guesstimate. Using a scale... sounds like too much work to me lol.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Scales, I weigh EVERYTHING!

ditto. i also use measuring spoons/cups.