Can you lose weight without weighing yourself?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    absolutely NOT. there's no way you can lose weight unless you are stood on a scale.

care to explain why not?

because you NEED to know you are losing weight. how can you lose weight if you don't know you are losing weight?? The only way to monitor this is to be stood on a scale every waking moment of your life.

( if you think i am being dumb, then all i will say is that you started it)

Reported: insulting/attacking.
    You might want to seek counseling to address why you think its ok to attack people online.
    Wow. Welcome to the internet. Besides, I think the poster was just being dryly sarcastic, a humour lost on many people.
    They're both from the UK, I bet she gets it.

Nah.....I doubt it. "Dryly sarcastic" ended and "45 year old internet bully” began when he implied that his 6 year old niece was smarter than her.

Seriously? Someone reported that as an insult? Wow! That's insane!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    absolutely NOT. there's no way you can lose weight unless you are stood on a scale.

care to explain why not?

because you NEED to know you are losing weight. how can you lose weight if you don't know you are losing weight?? The only way to monitor this is to be stood on a scale every waking moment of your life.

( if you think i am being dumb, then all i will say is that you started it)

Reported: insulting/attacking.
    You might want to seek counseling to address why you think its ok to attack people online.
    Wow. Welcome to the internet. Besides, I think the poster was just being dryly sarcastic, a humour lost on many people.
    They're both from the UK, I bet she gets it.

Nah.....I doubt it. "Dryly sarcastic" ended and "45 year old internet bully” began when he implied that his 6 year old niece was smarter than her.

serious..you're defending someone, an adult who thinks you need scales to lose weight?? I am a-s-t-o-n-i-s-h-e-d.

Exactly! And YOU are criticizing an adult that thinks they need a scale to lose weight, someone that weighs themselves after every meal and after going to the bathroom. …If you can’t read between THOSE lines, go ask your 6 year old niece. Maybe she can explain it to you.

Well, I guess that I will follow your logic and conclude it's not possible to lose weight without a set of scales, then...
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I found that weighing more than once a week makes me frustrated. My weight bobs up and down daily, so once a week gives a more accurate indication of my progress.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale! How you feel and how your clothes are fitting are much more important than a number on a bathroom appliance.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you eat only food whose calorie content you know.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't weigh myself. I know I'm losing inches, because I do get my measurements taken periodically. I'm more concerned with losing inches and bettering my health than the numbers on the scale. Becoming scale obsessed, as I was for awhile, leads to obsession and feeling terrible about things, at least in my experience.
  • iloveandy1
    Options
    it sounds like you have an eating disorder??
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    serious..you're defending someone, an adult who thinks you need scales to lose weight?? I am a-s-t-o-n-i-s-h-e-d.
    [/quote]
  • IGotUrPistola
    Options
    If you use the scale too much, you'll seriously go crazy.
    Weight changes a lot throughout the week/day. You might be gaining muscle so you might gain weight, so you don't really need to freak out if you gain.
    Weight your self every week.
    It's all about your physical appearance than what the scale tells you.
  • ronwmiller
    Options
    Weighing yourself has a psychological effect and some people can do it without a scale or weighing themselves at all. It's about good habits and discipline. For those that have trouble losing weight or aren't as disciplined they need the scale. I would compare your body to your checking account and ask the question. Would you be wiling to just put things in and take things out all month and hope for the best? For most of the us the answer is no. We need more assurance than that.

If you're going to weigh yourself there are a few key tips to remember.

- Weigh yourself at the same time everyday (For me this is first thing in the morning after I get up; this should also be the least you'll weigh during the day)
    - Record what you weigh. The reason that many people don't want to weigh themselves is that they only look at what they weigh on that day. If you have what you weighed from the last month and your weigh is slowly declining as it should if you're taking the right steps this will feel fantastic.
    - Have realistic expectations about how quickly you'll lose weight. It wasn't gained overnight and it won't be lost overnight.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without checking the scale often, just keep logging, see how clothes fit or you could even take a photograph each month to check progress visually
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I actually only weigh in like once a month :) Make sure to take measurements and pictures as well though because sometimes your body can change without really affecting the scale. The scale will fluctuate a lot through the day and even throughout the week over reasons you can't control.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is yes. The scale is intended to only be a tool to track progress. Coming from a girl with a history of eating disorders I can tell u the scale can be ur friend and enemy. My suggestion as to where u r now, yes stop weighing yourself so often. The mindset u r falling into is where ed's sneak in and tks over. I only weigh about once a week. Weighing before meals cheats our bodies. Weighing after going to the bathroom cheats our goals. This number isn't what matters. I know a girl who is a size six but weighs 185. I know another girl who is only 140 and wears a 10. Does that weight number mean much? No. Fitter people weigh more due to muscle mass. Think of it this way. Would u rather trash the scale (so to speak) and be fit or obsess over the scale, else muscle mass and be "skinny fat" as Pauline Nordin calls it. That number alone is no indication of your fitness level or your size. Take alone my size 6 friend would be considered obese. She spends 2 hrs a day at the gym. I don't think so. Just keep on track if u don't weigh as often and u will b fine.
  • chrtyA
    chrtyA Posts: 39
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday and I would get upset when I was working so so hard and the scale was not moving. When I was trying to lose weight after my firstborn and was getting in good shape but the scale wouldn't move like I wanted it to, I decided to stop weighing myself and concentrate on being healthy and pushing myself as hard as I could and 6-8 months later I weighed myself and I was less than my original goal weight. Now that I am just getting started pushing myself and trying to lose weight after my second pregnancy twins I weigh myself 1-2 times a week. I have learned not to even think about weighing myself on or around "that time of the month" as it is always up water weight 5-6 pounds. It can be depressing when you think you should have lost and you haven't even if you are working hard. It takes time and I reccomend not weighing yourself everyday maybe everyother week or every week maybe even once a month but not everyday.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I think I need to cut down on my scale usage. I noticed that I weigh myself before and after each meal now, as well as every time I finish using the bathroom :/

Do you guys think it's possible to lose weight without using a scale very often? I was thinking of only weighing myself every 1-2 weeks now.

Thanks in advance!
    <3 Lulu

yup!

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

The goal is to get away from the scale when you reach maintained. I have not used the scale all this year. It was hard for me to get away from it even when I was first in the maintenance phase of this journey. I have such freedom now letting go of the scale and simply going by how I look in the mirror and how my clothes fit. I know when I've been eating extra at social events and vacations and can see and feel it a little when I get back. It takes a long time to lose that little bit because once you get lean you can't eat at a deep deficit anymore, so I've learned that if I just ignore the scale I already know what to do, focus on exercise and calories and things fall into place.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I focus on inches lost, not weight! I've gained like two pounds since I've started but I do look stronger so I'm slowly learning to not rely on the scale. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I, also am recovered from an ED and I used to do the same thing. It's easy to fall back into those habits, unfortunately. I find that weighing myself once a day, in the morning, before I eat and after I pee works for me. That way I can monitor my weight without going nuts about it. I also record my weight once a week in a log book and also measure myself at least every few weeks. Other than that, I stay away from it. This is coming from someone who has 4 scales, scattered throughout the house, so it's an accomplishment for me to only weigh once a day!
  • shabnaum
    shabnaum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should allow the scale to define your weight loss goals. Sometimes, you may gain a pound or two or lose a pound or two --when you increase muscle mass or water weight, your weight will go up, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're gaining fat on your body. I think it's best to "weigh" yourself based on a measuring tape and tracking your body through pictures, rather than the scale. When you see your inches going down, that will motivate you to keep going forward and meet your fitness goals.
  • shabnaum
    shabnaum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! My weight has been fluctuating since I have started weight training with heavier weights but the inches keep going down.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you don't have to weigh yourself everytime you eat. you could have a meal or two that wind up adding on a ton of extra water weight. only to lose that weight by the next day. the one positive thing about standing on that scale every day. it might keep you from grabbing that 'one more won't hurt'