Lifting, gaining weight, losing curves, getting bulky?

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
Hope this helps some women's qualms about weight lifting. Yes, you may weigh a little more. Yes, some parts of your body might get a little bigger. You're not going to turn into a man, though, and you won't lose your curves.

Back story for anyone who doesn't know... I lost 25 pounds doing mostly cardio from Dec 2010 to June 2011 and got to my inital goal weight. Started strength training in July 2011, using machines at the gym. Between July and October 2011, I lost about ten more pounds. Took a break from logging when I got to about 125, and gained a little back, but my clothing size didn't change so I didn't care. Continued running and strength training. Quit the gym in July 2012 and bought a weight bench for home, and was amazed at what a difference free weights made. Putzed around for a few months and started Stronglifts 5x5 in late September. Just finished week 8 on Friday.

Here's comparison photos from one year ago to now. I'm benching 85, deadlifting 135, squatting 127, rowing 95 and overhead pressing 65, and still running 2-3 times a week. I think I might have been a little less than 130 in the 2011 pics - maybe 128? -but I wasn't keeping good records of my fluctuations then.... I didn't log any weight change from October to December 2011.

IMG_5485-copy.jpg

IMG_5469-copy.jpg

IMG_5468-copy.jpg

My legs, particularly my quads, are bigger now. Sometimes that's a bit of a pain when finding jeans that fit properly. But personally? I think they're hot. My husband loves them. I love that I can lift and carry heavy things, and run up steep hills. And I'd much rather have bigger, stronger, firm legs than thinner, weaker and jiggly ones.

And I can't get over how my waist has shrunk. I was never one to believe that weight lifting would make me look like a man. I knew that any woman who looks extremely muscular has worked very, very hard to look that way and it wasn't going to happen accidentally or overnight to me. But I did think that losing body fat and getting muscular might make me lose my curves and look more boyish. I never thought it would give me MORE curves!

IMG_5495.jpg

In particular, having lost weight through severe calorie restriction in my mid 30s, and being so disappointed that at my goal weight, I still had back fat rolls, double chins, and a cellulite ridden droopy *kitten*.... looking like this at 40 is particularly sweet.

But best of all, I used to be sooooo accident and injury prone. I'm hypermobile, and I was always spraining a wrist or ankle, or twisting my back weird and end up walking hunched over like a question mark for a week. I was afraid of lifting at first because I thought I'd hurt myself. But strengthening my muscles has made me into Iron Man... err... Girl. I haven't had any problems since lifting. Ok, one little tiny stress fracture, but that was a running problem, not a lifting one. :wink:

Edited to add: Best of all part two: Eating 2000-2300 calories a day. :love:

Replies

• mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely incredible, and thank you for posting this - since I started lifting regularly over the past few months, the change to my shape has been very significant. I have to constantly convince my girlfriends that they shouldn't be scared of the weights section - maybe I will point them at this thread!
  • catsinbooks
    catsinbooks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! I'm the same as you - no misconceptions that you'll get bulky without putting in lots of effort, but was worried about looking too "straight up and down".

And I agree - your thighs are amazing! You look healthy and lovely.

Thanks for the inspiration!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Ya know its reading your blogs and seeing your progress that made me try the whole scary lifting thing! Ive been using an aerobic step as a bench (dont laugh... some of us really are clueless :tongue: ) but Im going out this week to get a bench! The weightloss has stalled but the shrinking all over hasnt so I guess something is going right.
    Fabulous at 40 is a complete understatement for you!
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    Excellent post, and excellent work! You look great!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

But best of all, I used to be sooooo accident and injury prone. I'm hypermobile, and I was always spraining a wrist or ankle, or twisting my back weird and end up walking hunched over like a question mark for a week. I was afraid of lifting at first because I thought I'd hurt myself. But strengthening my muscles has made me into Iron Man... err... Girl. I haven't had any problems since lifting. Ok, one little tiny stress fracture, but that was a running problem, not a lifting one. :wink:

This was one of the reasons I took up lifting, and I've noticed the same positive results as you. I was a little hypermobile and was always falling over and dropping things. Lifting seems to have really improved my strength and balance. I was worried about it because I do get joint pain, but if anything, the lifting seems to have helped my bad back/hip/knees. I'm still obese so haven't had the visual results that you have had, though. You look great!
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Holy crap you look great!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lorina, I've been reading your posts for close to a year now... but it still amazes me the progress you're always making. You kind of set the bar for the, "Once you reach your goal... there's a new goal to be met!" whatever it might be.

Plus I can't even believe you ever had cellulite anywhere on that body! That's the REAL hope! ;)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You look awesome. You've successfully accomplished a body "re-composition" which everyone says is really hard to do.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You look great!

Thanks for the perspective. I've been doing CrossFit for 7 months and was just texting my BFF last night about the good news/bad news from my closet--my booty will rock some skinny jeans this week, but a different, smaller sized pair probably won't fit again. I'm loving my muscles though so it is definitely worth it!

Keep up the good work!
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Great job! Loved reading your story :)
  • renatka13
    renatka13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You look great! well done!
    just one question - are you driniking any protein shakes?
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
    Plus I can't even believe you ever had cellulite anywhere on that body! That's the REAL hope! ;)

I wish I had better before pictures of my backside... I was down 20 pounds and about 140 when I took my first progress pics from the back. And... holy F... I just compared some of those photos to now and I can't believe it's just five pounds difference. Granted, five pounds and more than a year and a half, but still... five frickin' pounds.

IMG_9961-copy.jpg

IMG_9948-copy.jpg

I have a few dimples in my *kitten* still (especially in Kohl's dressing rooms!!!) but less now than I did as a 110 pound teenager. :drinker:
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You look even more amazing than in 2011. Thanks for posting. I much prefer lifting to pounding out hours of cardio, lol. I will focus more on it in addition to boot camp, mtn biking, and stationary bike. Who knows what curvy changes will happen to this 60 year old bod?
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    YOU ROCK!!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Lorina, you are an inspiration to many, thanks for your posts and your determination...you sure look sassy lady ; )
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    You look great! well done!
    just one question - are you driniking any protein shakes?

Rarely. I have some powder that I have once in a while, but I'm most likely to use it mixed with milk and poured on breakfast cereal. I love cereal, but like getting a little more protein than a typical bowl has.

I do like protein bars. They satisfy my desire to eat candy. :laugh:
  • danc3oflife
    Options
    You look amazing.... It is possible, thanks!
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!
  • CraigCooke
    CraigCooke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Super stuff!!!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of weights myself — like you, I ran for a time, did some races, got addicted, then injured, then switched it up with circuit training. Now I'm CrossFitting, and loving every lift, every WOD, every crazy day.

My biggest conundrum has been figuring out where my "maintenance" calories should be. I fell to my goal weight when I was injured, but as soon as I started circuit training and doing weights, it bounced back up 5-8 lbs. And that's where I've stayed for 10 whole months. My clothes still fit in the right places, my waist is tighter, so I'm happy. But I find myself STARVING every Friday through Monday after doing 4 days of CrossFit, and I'm beginning to think I'm just not getting enough calories in per day to carry me through.

So how long have you been doing 2,300 calories/day? And I assume you're not adding back in exercise calories w/lifting (so that's your maintenance #)...?

P.S. CrossFitters (at least where I am) don't focus on #s (except heavy weights), so they keep telling me "don't worry about calories, just eat clean." And I get that...but I'm a little anal. I need a number to guide me, at least for a while.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!