Going HIIT

Options
OK - so I regularly go for a steady state run at about 6mph for 30 minutes, but I am gathering that I would be better to introduce some HIIT to keep metabolism working faster for longer than just going out for a run.

How do I approach this and can anyone point me to an article to show me what to do?

Do I just take my 30 minute run and divide it into 1 minute steady run / 30 seconds sprint until my 30 minutes are covered or is there another profile I need to follow?

Also, I like to break a run up with push-ups, step-ups on a log or park bench, half pullups if I can find a branch etc to chage things up. My heart rate really goes up then - so am I already doing a bit of HIIT there?

edit: spelling

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself an expert on this or anything, but I do a bit of HIIT, either on the treadmill or the elliptical. On the treadmill I start with a 5-10 minute warm up of steady running, building up the pace. Then I do 1 minute sprints and 1 minute jogs. I start with slow-ish sprints and build up the pace as I go on. I've found that it's greatly helped improve my steady state cardio speed. As for breaking your run up to do other exercises, I don't see any problem with that - I'm not sure if it counts as HIIT, maybe.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I found a great article about this earlier this week- http://www.trimmedandtoned.com/a-hiit-workout-routine-to-burn-belly-fat-fast. No, this is not a scientific journal- it's an ARTICLE with exercise theory based on generalized exercise physiology. Just wanted to throw that out there before someone got on my case. :-)
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Steady state cardio is a waste of time IMO. Unless you REALLY need to burn a **** load of calories.. But then just eat less.

Watch this video. High Intensity Exercise is the best kind of "cardio" you can do. Weather it's lifting, sprinting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2PdJFbjWHEU#t=3727s
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Steady state cardio is a waste of time IMO. Unless you REALLY need to burn a **** load of calories.. But then just eat less.

Watch this video. High Intensity Exercise is the best kind of "cardio" you can do. Weather it's lifting, sprinting...

^Put on a raincoat, because the cardio lovers are about to spit all over this. Steady state cardio is good for heart health and endurance, as well as mood elevation/stress relief for some people. JUST SAYING. I have to con myself into steady state cardio, but don't hate just to hate.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    I wouldn't do more then 15-20 minutes and only about 3 times a week. I do my HIIT on a stationary bike, after I do about an hour of Weight lifting, I normally only do 10 minutes, 10 Intervals of 15sec High intensity and 45secs Low intensity, I really lost a good amount of body fat when I was in the desert, I did HIIT everyother day after lifting and doing steady pace cardio in the mornings everyday
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I look forward to introducing this into my week.
  • jenhelle
    jenhelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think your intervals into your run can be considered HIIT if the intensity is enough.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    "Steady state cardio is a waste of time IMO."

I love seeing the followers of the next thing state that its the ONLY thing and anything prior is a waste of time. If you're doing serious HITT training then you won't be able to do it every day as you're going to need recovery time. LISS training is great for the heart, fantastic stress reduction and can be done almost every day. I generally mix sprints into my running but will never give up regular running. Balance people, balance.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Hey, I do HIIT or a sprint workout usually twice a week. My workouts go a little something like this:

1. Warmup 15minutes including some steady state running, some high knees, butt kicks, walking lunges, side steps etc. and some surges at about 80-90%. With HIIT it's important to do a really good warm up because the working componant is short and intense. As a good rule, the shorter the workout the longer the warmup

2. Working componant. This varies greatly from week-to-week but to do a true HIIT running workout you basically will be dealing with 2 componants: the sprint (work) and the active recovery (recovery). Now where you can vary it to cater to your fitness level is the ratio of work to recovery. A beginner may want to start with a 1:2 ratio i.e. 30 sec work, 1 minute recovery. Intermediate can do a 1:1 ratio i.e. 30seconds work, 30seconds recovery. Advanced can do a 2:1 ratio, 30 seconds work, 15 seconds recovery. The times and ratios can be varied to suit your mood, goals and fitness level. You can make the work componant as long as you'd like. The important thing and what provides the distinction between HIIT and interval training is that the working componant is an all out effort. This componant should probably go anywhere between 5 minutes to 20 minutes but no longer (if you can go longer you're not working hard enough).

I like to mix my workouts up with HIIT and sprint training where the recovery portion is an actual recovery not active recovery.

3. Cool down. Jog or walk until your heart rate comes down a bit

4. This is where I would usually do any strength training such as pushups and abs

5. Stretch
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    When it comes to interval training make sure you get your work to rest ratio correctly. When utilizing your phosphate system your work to rest ratio should be about 1:6, Meaning, if you're doing a 5 second (100% effort) sprint you should give yourself 30 seconds rest. If you're training emphasis is on the lactate system it should be a 1:2-1:4 ratio so if you were to do a 15 second sprint (90% effort) you should give yourself a good 45 seconds of recovery time. I personally do 15 seconds work, 45 seconds recovery around 6-8 times. After the 3rd time it's a LONG 15 seconds if you're doing it correctly.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

^Put on a raincoat, because the cardio lovers are about to spit all over this. Steady state cardio is good for heart health and endurance, as well as mood elevation/stress relief for some people. JUST SAYING. I have to con myself into steady state cardio, but don't hate just to hate.
    "Steady state cardio is a waste of time IMO."

I love seeing the followers of the next thing state that its the ONLY thing and anything prior is a waste of time. If you're doing serious HITT training then you won't be able to do it every day as you're going to need recovery time. LISS training is great for the heart, fantastic stress reduction and can be done almost every day. I generally mix sprints into my running but will never give up regular running. Balance people, balance.

Of course this is all my opinion. I do some jogging once in a while for pleasure also. So I understand that completely. But for a fitness and weight loss point of view, I think its a waste because it's not intense enough to cause an adaptive response.

Did anyone watch the video? It's explains why you get a superior "cardio" work out when going high intensity. I don't see how steady state cardio is good for the heart if it's not intense enough to stimulate improvement. Often times for beginners jogging is hard and intense. Then they become adapted and continue with the same intensity no longer causing stimulus for improvement.

The only thing I see in steady state cardio doing is unnecessary wear and tear on the joints, especially for endurance jogging. I doubt I would ever do a 5k or anything like that. I value the health of my joints. Most people doing steady state "cardio" are doing it to burn calories, and I think they are wasting their time. I don't believe that it burns much in the way of calories unless it goes on for hours and hours and then most machines and gizmos greatly over exaggerate what is actually burned.

From the research I've read, and that video I linked, there is an "afterburn" effect that can go one for a few hours after a high intensity work out that gives very similar results as a much longer steady state cardio. The video explains it much better than I can. So to me, doing intense sprint intervals for about 15-20 mins beats the hell out of jogging for 2-3 hours. Not to mention that we get stronger and faster from doing intervals with the opposite being true with steady state cardio causing some lean tissue wasting issues when it's taken overboard. With HIIT, you can't go overboard, because you're already going to failure and you're forced to rest. This saves the joints and stimulates change.

That's just what I think though. Steady state cardio is just another pitfall people think is necessary for weight loss and constant cardio improvement, when it does neither effectively.

A favorite quote from a YouTube channel I frequent.

"This is all just advice. Do what ever the **** you wana do!" -TMW
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    But for a fitness and weight loss point of view, I think its a waste because it's not intense enough to cause an adaptive response.
    I'm not sure what that means. Steady state cardi most certainly does produce an adaptive response. You become more efficient at the exercise due to changes in the cardiorespiratory system and muscles, and can do it progressively longer and faster.
    The only thing I see in steady state cardio doing is unnecessary wear and tear on the joints, especially for endurance jogging. I doubt I would ever do a 5k or anything like that. I value the health of my joints.
    huge myth, search on pubmed -- running a 5K will not damage your joints if you don't already have joint problems and in fact provide some protective effect
    From the research I've read, and that video I linked, there is an "afterburn" effect that can go one for a few hours after a high intensity work out that gives very similar results as a much longer steady state cardio. The video explains it much better than I can. So to me, doing intense sprint intervals for about 15-20 mins beats the hell out of jogging for 2-3 hours.
    No, sorry. You aren't burning as many calories in 15 minutes of HIIT, even with the supposed afterburn, as you would on a 3-hour steady state run. Not even close. You will burn many many more times the calories on a long run. And you can do steady state cardio every day, whereas you need a day or two of rest between true HIIT sessions, so your total calorie burn for the week from 3 HIIT sessions of 15 minutes would be just dwarfed by 5-6 days of longer runs.