Dear Vegetarians and Vegans,

Options

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Nah, each to their own I figure, however non meat products are awesome... no one can deny that! :D

And quite frankly, no one can deny that a properly cooked pork or beef steak is one of lives tastier pleasures! :D

However, if I had to choose one or the other, meat would loose, I love meat I do, but veggies and that variety in taste would be too good to give up for just meat...

I was brought up on meat, and eat daily more than dose usually, in fact I love biltong (I guess jerky to you americans?) I eat biltong almost daily, if I have 500g I will love it, if I have 50g I will love it, in fact I would eat biltong for the rest of my life if I could and not care... that is the only meat product I could lol... :D

When we were little, our culture gave as biltong when we had a toothache! No dummy or soothing cream, we ate meat to get better haha :D
  • undeludedwish
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since I was 14 (although I've been considering stopping recently) and I completely agree with you. I believe the reverse is also true - respecting meat eaters not forcing meat eating on vegetarians/vegans! We all have to make the decision for ourselves.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    please can omnivores not tell me to eat bacon because it tastes good or shove pepperoni pieces/mozzarella sticks in my face (happened before!

This has happened to me more times than I can count. The first major holiday that I went veggie, my family (extended family) put bacon in EVERYTHING. I was going in thinking, I could have a piece of bread with cheese, mashed potatoes, veggies. Nope, everything had bacon.

Then another time a cousin gave me a bowl of veggie soup, and was waiting for me to eat it because he also put a scoop of beef stew on the bottom. I've had people order pepperoni pizza knowing I don't eat it, then told me to pick it off or just "man up and eat it anyway" Or they would just put meat on my plate and told me to eat it "because you are human, and that is what we do".

Annoying. And I never ONCE told them not to eat meat.

Ugh! I'm offended on your behalf and just don't understand it.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

* Inability to Digest- they lack the enzymes to actually break down protein

Aww I feel special. I'm mentioned on this thread. Yes, we exist. Though it's not the inability to "digest", for me it's the inability to break down certain amino acids. if my body can't break them down, they build up in the blood and are toxic.

fun times :)

But I'm essentially a vegan now, because I'm a little weird and I can't consume dairy without picturing someone sucking milk out of a cow's udders. so yeah...ew.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    please can omnivores not tell me to eat bacon because it tastes good or shove pepperoni pieces/mozzarella sticks in my face (happened before!

This has happened to me more times than I can count. The first major holiday that I went veggie, my family (extended family) put bacon in EVERYTHING. I was going in thinking, I could have a piece of bread with cheese, mashed potatoes, veggies. Nope, everything had bacon.

Then another time a cousin gave me a bowl of veggie soup, and was waiting for me to eat it because he also put a scoop of beef stew on the bottom. I've had people order pepperoni pizza knowing I don't eat it, then told me to pick it off or just "man up and eat it anyway" Or they would just put meat on my plate and told me to eat it "because you are human, and that is what we do".

Ugh! I'm offended on your behalf and just don't understand it.

agreed!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

There are sadly self-righteous jerks on both sides :(
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You are lucky to live in a place where you can get fresh, humanely and healthfully raised animal products.

I am not a vegetarian despite the fact that I am scared of the meat produced and sold in this country. The animals are treated poorly and they are raised in environments that are not healthy or humane. Eating something that was treated like **** is basically eating **** in my opinion. But, I enjoy meat and mass produced is what I can afford. If we ever can afford space or money for a deep freeze, I fully intend to purchase meat differently. Until then, I guess I'll have to take my chances. I don't like to be bullied about my choices either though.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Aww I feel special. I'm mentioned on this thread. Yes, we exist. Though it's not the inability to "digest", for me it's the inability to break down certain amino acids. if my body can't break them down, they build up in the blood and are toxic.

But I'm essentially a vegan now, because I'm a little weird and I can't consume dairy without picturing someone sucking milk out of a cow's udders. so yeah...ew.

I don't have milk, purely because I do not like the taste... in just about anything... Then learning how they are treated solidified my choice now I will never have milk again ever more than likely... It is shameful, and to be honest, not needed and not tasty by one bit haha :D cheese I love still though...
  • frando
    Options

When he told me about it, I was like 'seriously?' then I thought 'well people are lactose intolerant so it'd make sense' he was so worried that he'd passed it on to his daughter or son (thankfully he hasn't).
  • frando
    Options
    You are lucky to live in a place where you can get fresh, humanely and healthfully raised animal products.

I am not a vegetarian despite the fact that I am scared of the meat produced and sold in this country. The animals are treated poorly and they are raised in environments that are not healthy or humane. Eating something that was treated like **** is basically eating **** in my opinion. But, I enjoy meat and mass produced is what I can afford. If we ever can afford space or money for a deep freeze, I fully intend to purchase meat differently. Until then, I guess I'll have to take my chances. I don't like to be bullied about my choices either though.

It is sad that people are put in this situation but I do love the fact that if you could change it you would, you have my respect for that *hug*
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to say that concerns with some of the practices in the US food industry are shared by many of us even if we're not vegetarians. We live primarily off of what we hunt and the fish we catch ourselves, and are planning some other drastic changes because of it. Within the next two to three years tops, it is our goal to start raising our own and become 100% self susficient.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Can't agree more. Everyone is free upon action, choices and responsibilities. Let's also remind that as I vegan I also get constantly taunted because of these same choices. People find it useless and even weird sometimes. I think this is not so much about veganism, rather, respecting what everyone has to say. Tolerance goes both way, ideology doesn't :)

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
  • frando
    Options
    Also wanted to say that concerns with some of the practices in the US food industry are shared by many of us even if we're not vegetarians. We live primarily off of what we hunt and the fish we catch ourselves, and are planning some other drastic changes because of it. Within the next two to three years tops, it is our goal to start raising our own and become 100% self susficient.

My uncle is a great believer of game meat, he's got two freezers for what he's been given by a friend who works as a game keeper. I can't remember exactly what he said about it, but basically its constantly used muscle meat and it's eating what it's supposed to. He's training to use a rifle to go out with said friend to go rabbit hunting. I do love rabbit and venison and the odd pheasant.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

When he told me about it, I was like 'seriously?' then I thought 'well people are lactose intolerant so it'd make sense' he was so worried that he'd passed it on to his daughter or son (thankfully he hasn't).

i'm not sure what condition your friend is. But in my case, hardly anyone knows about it.... 1 in 200,000 people are born with my condition and most didn't live past infancy. The people in my age group are the first to make it to adulthood without suffering from neurological complications, or becoming mentally incapacitated.
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • frando
    Options
    Can't agree more. Everyone is free upon action, choices and responsibilities. Let's also remind that as I vegan I also get constantly taunted because of these same choices. People find it useless and even weird sometimes. I think this is not so much about veganism, rather, respecting what everyone has to say. Tolerance goes both way, ideology doesn't :)

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

From the times I spent with my vegan friends (one is still studying in uni the other is a fashion designer in London) they had lot of determination- I know I couldn't do it. Though I do like some vegan products- there's a range called 'Original Source' that have the best shower gels o-o Although I don't buy it because it's vegan it's a nice perk.
  • frando
    Options

i'm not sure what condition your friend is. But in my case, hardly anyone knows about it.... 1 in 200,000 people are born with my condition and most didn't live past infancy. The people in my age group are the first to make it to adulthood without suffering from neurological complications, or becoming mentally incapacitated.

He nearly didn't, issues with breast milk and replacement milk then they figured it out, it was a fascinating convocation when he explained it all.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mcz3xbngWO1qk5rvlo1_500.jpg
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hey, to each his own. Right?
    I would not try to convert anyone in one direction or another, but man I love to tease the vegetarians. Okay, one in particular. I used to work for a woman who was vegetarian, and I just like to give her a little grief now and again. All in good fun. Couldn't do it if I didn't absolutely adore her. Anyway, every time she caught a cold, or pulled a muscle, or had a headache, or whatever came up, I would say to her, "You know what you need? Meat!" But she would turn the tables whenever I had an ailment to complaint about and say, "Probably from all that meat you eat."
    Ironically, she ended up moving to Houston, TX. AND, I think she actually might eat some meats now, but I can tell you she'd never experienced eating it until then. She grew up vegetarian.
    Again, to each his own.
    Cheers!
    :drinker:
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post, and very well put.

It kind of irk's me that in some of the veggie threads people are so self richeous, Attributing weight loss and healthiness to a vegetarian diet (which in some cases it could be) rather than just eating better.
    Did you move to your vegetarian diet from a wholefood meat diet, or a bit of a normal, semi-junk diet.
    I'd worry you're jumping to the conclusion that vegetarian==good, rather than eatingbetter==good.
    I think you could achieve the same results but by incorporating red meat, chicken and fish.... just not junk versions of the foods.