Dear Vegetarians and Vegans,

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I am vegetarian. I don't like it when anyone tries to force their lifestyle choices on anyone else.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post, and very well put.

It kind of irk's me that in some of the veggie threads people are so self richeous, Attributing weight loss and healthiness to a vegetarian diet (which in some cases it could be) rather than just eating better.
    Did you move to your vegetarian diet from a wholefood meat diet, or a bit of a normal, semi-junk diet.
    I'd worry you're jumping to the conclusion that vegetarian==good, rather than eatingbetter==good.
    I think you could achieve the same results but by incorporating red meat, chicken and fish.... just not junk versions of the foods.

To me it's nice and simple, eat less, move more and make sensible choices.
    I agree with this. I am vegetarian. I don't like it when anyone tries to force their lifestyle choices on anyone else.

I'm starting to feel like the voice of the people! Ok, a bit dramatic, but voicing what I'm sure a lot of people have been thinking :3
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As a member of the very large and diverse group of people included in "vegetarians and vegans", I'm intrigued that the attitude of so many here is "live and let live".

That sounds so respectful of the right of life to be lived, and lived freely. It sounds... vegetarian.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    As a member of the very large and diverse group of people included in "vegetarians and vegans", I'm intrigued that the attitude of so many here is "live and let live".

That sounds so respectful of the right of life to be lived, and lived freely. It sounds... vegetarian.

Live and let live with a side of Wheatons law.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Live and let live with a side of Wheatons law.

Wheaton's? It doesn't exist on the forums here.
  • frando
    Options

As long as no one uses scare tactics to force their choices on others, I don't care what you call it =^--^=
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Not all vegetarians and vegans try and convert people. Personally, I've had tons of people question why I don't eat meat/eggs ect, than I question them. Or they say something stupid or make jokes about it.

So know that it's not just vegans that are pushy, we get a lot of crap from non-veg people. More than you'd think.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I believe veganism is about kindness, people are more likely to consider it when you present it from that perspective or offer them vegan food or tell them of any health benefits you've experienced.
  • frando
    Options
    Not all vegetarians and vegans try and convert people. Personally, I've had tons of people question why I don't eat meat/eggs ect, than I question them. Or they say something stupid or make jokes about it.

So know that it's not just vegans that are pushy, we get a lot of crap from non-veg people. More than you'd think.

I'm not surprised, I should have talked about that as well. I did point out that I've never forced meat on to them, I should have gone into more detail about it all. It does appear we have jerks on both sides!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I understand your point OP, for sure. I grew up vegetarian (not vegan, we did eat dairy and eggs) and quite honestly, it has never occurred to me to try to convert anyone over to my point of view. I still eat that way 99% of the time - once in a while, I may eat chicken or fish, usually when going out. There aren't many vegetarians in my life, but when it inevitably comes up (usually during a meal out or a meal over at someone's home) I frankly am sick of hearing about how unintelligent and semi-retarded and judgmental I must be. I hear daily diatribes about vegetarians at work, where everyone now knows I am one. They only know because they ask why I'm ordering this and not that when we go out to eat, or whatever. I've even had people try to trick me into eating some meat when I was younger because they thought it would be hilarious. So I get your point about trying to shove one's choice of food down someone else's throat, so to speak.

I don't care what ANYONE else chooses to eat and I've yet to understand (from either side) why anyone would care. To each his own.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    I don't believe I have ever tried to convert anyone and I slip up occasionally so maybe I can't claim to be a veggie anymore.

I grew up on a farm and every meal that had meat in it was essentially a pet at some point... So when cooking or eating meat I think of the cow named Melenda who I bottle fed after her mother died and she followed me around until she was slaugthered and made into someones meal. Also the pigs, chickens, sheep, goats, geese, turkeys, ducks.... all had names and personalities and even knew a few tricks.

I'm sorry someone offended ya while spouting off their beliefs but seriously we all have them and sometimes get a little passionate about them. I once had a "friend" tell me he could never invite me to do anything with his family because vegetarians are a BAD influence on children. bahahaha Promoting veggies is tandamount to selling crack to some people.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to say that concerns with some of the practices in the US food industry are shared by many of us even if we're not vegetarians. We live primarily off of what we hunt and the fish we catch ourselves, and are planning some other drastic changes because of it. Within the next two to three years tops, it is our goal to start raising our own and become 100% self susficient.

My uncle is a great believer of game meat, he's got two freezers for what he's been given by a friend who works as a game keeper. I can't remember exactly what he said about it, but basically its constantly used muscle meat and it's eating what it's supposed to. He's training to use a rifle to go out with said friend to go rabbit hunting. I do love rabbit and venison and the odd pheasant.

My boyfriend is determined to get me into deer hunting.
    Deer jerky. Om nom nom! I once made a pizza with deer burger/sausage. Very interesting taste -- pretty tasty but very strong.

Anyways: Love this post. I love me some meat, and I joke around with my vegetarian friends...but they do the same with me. People need to slow down on pushing their agendas off on other people. Everyone likes different things. :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for the better part of my adult life, and it would never occur to me to convert anyone. Every once in a blue moon, I might even deign to cook meat for my ominorve husband. I won't eat it though. At the same time, I don't feel particularly compelled to justify my dietary choices to anyone. I have the blood work to show that I am healthy, and the long-term adherence to prove that vegetarianism is right for me. That's all that matters. For any of us.
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    ^ This. Absolutely! I make it a practice not to comment on people's eating habits- mainly because so many omnivores have sneeringly wanted to dissect my vegetarianism, but also because it is nobody's business. I have not eaten meat for 25 years, the choice is ethical and I respect each person's right to make their own choices.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Omnis are the majority. Why would omnis be so bothered by a small minority that enjoys sharing information regarding health on a health related site? I just see this as yet another veg bullying thread here on MFP however passive aggressive it might be. This is so unfortunate, unkind, and unnecessary.

I assume you are responding to a recent veg. thread from a new member. That kind of threads is not typical of the veg. members here at MFP. Why start a veg bashing thread under the guise of being offended (as if veg. members are constantly lecturing you and/or as if we have any power over what you choose to consume)? If you really don't care what veg. members think then move on to another thread. Starting this kind of thread is so unsupportive and mean-spirited and in the end you are guilty of the same preachy behavior you are condemning.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Omnis are the majority. Why would omnis be so bothered by a small minority that enjoys sharing information regarding health on a health related site? I just see this as yet another veg bullying thread here on MFP however passive aggressive it might be. This is so unfortunate, unkind, and unnecessary.

I assume you are responding to a recent veg. thread from a new member. That kind of threads is not typical of the veg. members here at MFP. Why start a veg bashing thread under the guise of being offended (as if veg. members are constantly lecturing you and/or as if we have any power over what you choose to consume)? If you really don't care what veg. members think then move on to another thread. Starting this kind of thread is so unsupportive and mean-spirited and in the end you are guilty of the same preachy behavior you are condemning.

I didn't for one second take this as an insult towards vegetarians or vegans...neither did any of the actual vegetarians or vegans that commented on this.

I think maybe you're taking something personally, because she didn't attack anyone. All-in-all, her post said that people should leave their opinions to themselves when it comes to another person's dietary choices. Even in her comments, she pointed out that omni's do it too and she thinks that they should do the same as the activist vegans/vegetarians.

ETA: But everyone on this thread has been good mannered about their views and has agreed with her, even when they have pointed out that people have been rude to them about their dietary choices.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If I were a lesbian, I would ask you on a date! This was beautifully written. I'm a proud omnivore who really only eats chicken and I don't appreciate organizations like PETA(who by the way kill more animals than they save) using the same lame and pathetic tactics that pro-life extremists use to try to convert others to their cause.

Respect is earned, not taken. Respect my choice to eat chicken and I'll respect your choice not to.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    But everyone on this thread has been good mannered about their views and has agreed with her, even when they have pointed out that people have been rude to them about their dietary choices.
    So good manners means agreeing with someone even when they are speaking poorly to/about a group? Especially when it is a minority group and one in which the OP does not belong to? I'm not the kind of person you can bully into agreeing with something simply because of how others have responded.

I am not personally offended by your response or that of the OP. I've got pretty thick skin having been at this vegetarian thing a rather long time. I simply think it is important to stand up for people, point out bullying, and hypocrisy when I see it ( "veg. MFPers are preachy and I'm going to preach to you about how preachy they are thus ultimately my preaching will point out why omnis are just plain better people than veg..." see how this approach is counterproductive?). I don't think MFP needs to be so unsupportive. I am a vegetarian and I follow veg threads here and have many veg friends. So I have a good sense of what goes on here regarding the topic. You don't need to agree with me but I felt it was fair and in the best interest of the veg members here to say it.

If you get nothing out of my response please try to understand the main point: These kinds of threads are not productive because they only serve to encourage divisiveness and create hostile environments for everyone here (veg or omni).
  • VanitaD
    Options
    The thing that drives me nuts about being a vegetarian is everyone acts like they have to go to great lengths to ensure that I have something to eat. If we are selecting a restaurant someone will always say "We have to go someplace where she can eat something". Even a steakhouse has a baked potato. It slays me.

My mother in law will call and say "What do I need to make special for you for Thanksgiving?" It doesn't matter that every single year I tell her not to worry about it. I will figure it out. I can always eat salad, potatoes, green beans, bread, etc. It's like people think if you are vegetarian you don't actually eat vegetables. You instead eat nothing but soy meat substitutes or something!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    The thing that drives me nuts about being a vegetarian is everyone acts like they have to go to great lengths to ensure that I have something to eat. If we are selecting a restaurant someone will always say "We have to go someplace where she can eat something". Even a steakhouse has a baked potato. It slays me.

My mother in law will call and say "What do I need to make special for you for Thanksgiving?" It doesn't matter that every single year I tell her not to worry about it. I will figure it out. I can always eat salad, potatoes, green beans, bread, etc. It's like people think if you are vegetarian you don't actually eat vegetables. You instead eat nothing but soy meat substitutes or something!

that is the story of my life. literally, since i've been a vegetarian since birth (for medical reasons). everyone would always make a huge deal about it. if we were to go to a restaurant my family would always make sure that whoever was hosting the event knew there HAD to be something there just for me...at restaurants they would always make sure the server was informed of my dietary restrictions. While I guess they were trying to be helpful, it embarrassed the hell out of me.