NEED NEW BREAKFAST IDEAS!!

Options
shanwow16
shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
I'm stuck on the same breakfast Mon-Fri and need some ideas please!!
I start work at 7:30am and have 2 children to get ready and off to daycare/school.
I usually bring a pack of instant oatmeal, a banana and a yogurt for breakfast as those are the most convenient things to bring.
I sometimes switch it up to a high fibre cereal with skim milk, but having to pack the milk seperate from the cereal takes up so much room in my lunch bag.

I need simple, healthy breakfast ideas if anyone has any?!?
High protein/fibre would be great!

Replies

• raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I keep Fiber One bars in my desk - they're pretty filling and only have 140 calories.

I also eat Thomas' 100 calorie english muffins with peanut butter. More calories in that because of the pb but will keep me filled up until lunch time.
  • Marcy79
    Marcy79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Nestle Carnation instant chocolate breakfast, it tastes EXACTLY like chocolate milk (no vitamin taste) and it's got tons of protien so it keeps me full for a few hours! :) You could also try an English muffin (whole wheat 100 calorie) w/ raspberry jam, quick fruit smoothie in the blender, an apple cut up with peanut butter, good luck!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Thomas light english muffin + piece of 2% cheese + 3 egg whites and 1 whole scrambled egg = best breakfast ever. It is filling, healthy, and takes 5 mins or less to make.
  • jdramage
    jdramage Posts: 37
    Options
    This morning I tried two pieces of whole grain toast, topped with 1/4 cup no-salt-added cottage cheese, 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. It was so delicious and kept me full longer than usual. The cheese has tons of protein, fiber in the toast, and sweetness from the fruit. It sounds like you bring your breakfast and eat it at work so you could have the bread untoasted unless you have a toaster in the staff room, etc.
  • alisaperry74
    Options
    I do something similar to Courtney...Orowheat Multi-Grain sandwich thins spread with 1 tbsp Brummel and Brown butter made from yogurt, one fried egg seasoned with pepper and Frank's hot sauce. 220 Calories, 22 Carb, 11 protein, 5 fiber. Very satisfying!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    In regards to the milk dilemma, leave a quart of milk in your office fridge? Much easier that way if you have the option :)

I usually have 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups of cereal (I switch the cereal every 2 weeks or so) with skim milk and a banana. I often add 12 almonds or a 4 oz cup of natural (no sugar added) applesauce to my breakfast.

If you want to cook...on the weekends I make scrambled egg whites with 1/4 cup shredded cheese and red bell peppers with a slice of toast and a sausage patty. 307 calories, 28g protein (not sure on the fibre).
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i eat 2 egg white, 1 whole egg, kraft 2% american cheese and 2 slices of turkey bacon, that keeps me full til lunch. i try to eat at 6, 12 and 6 but morning it sometime 7. if i don't have time i go for my special k cereal w/ 1% milk, or sometimes cream of wheat whole grain.
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    1/2 c fat free plain greek yogurt (fage or trader joes brand)
    1/2 fruit (fresh or frozen thawed)
    1 packet Truvia or other sweetener
    ~~~Put these in a tupperware together

1/2 c Fiber One cereal OR 1/4 c Bran Buds in a baggie

Mix before you eat. The cereal has oodles of fiber and the yogurt has tons of protein. total cals, depending on your fruit choice, is around 250. Keeps you full and tastes great. Also you can mix it up with different fruit and cereal combos. Great to pack the night before and a space saver in the lunchbox!

Hope you like!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    sometimes i make a simple breakfast burrito (that i've thrown in a bag to take)
    quickly cook 1 eggbeater egg. i use la tortilla factory low-carb, high fiber whole wheat tortilla- 80 calories.
    a tablespoon of salsa, the cooked egg, & a cup of shredded lettuce. depending on your salsa it should all be under 125 calories.
    you could even add cheese.

with my franz english muffins (also 100 calories) i use pb2, the powdered peanut butter. tastes like dry roasted peanuts and only 53 calories for 2 tablespoons.

(have you ever tried steel cut oatmeal? i cook it in the evening because it does take longer. a cup makes 4 servings. i put it in small individual serving containers, then i can heat it in a minute in the microwave. the flavor & especially the texture is sooo much better than instant).
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 2 hard boiled eggs and Special K waffels and (that butter spray stuff) to work Popping 1 in the toaster putting the spray on and munching on the egg and a bite of the waffel in between doing stuff. You'd be suprised how much it fills you up. Oh and for a mid morning snack ive grown a little fond of the special K "fruit Crisps" but thats just me I don't know how it would work for you but last week I lost 3 Lbs (I work out also) So i'm not sure how it really works but they are all pretty good on cal.
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite's is Oikos greek yogurt with some Bear Naked protein plus granola...and a piece of fruit or something :)
  • shanwow16
    Options
    Thomas light english muffin + piece of 2% cheese + 3 egg whites and 1 whole scrambled egg = best breakfast ever. It is filling, healthy, and takes 5 mins or less to make.

This is more of my weekend breakfast when I actually have time to eat at home, Mon-Fri I eat at my desk.
  • shanwow16
    Options
    I've been taking 2 hard boiled eggs and Special K waffels and (that butter spray stuff) to work Popping 1 in the toaster putting the spray on and munching on the egg and a bite of the waffel in between doing stuff. You'd be suprised how much it fills you up. Oh and for a mid morning snack ive grown a little fond of the special K "fruit Crisps" but thats just me I don't know how it would work for you but last week I lost 3 Lbs (I work out also) So i'm not sure how it really works but they are all pretty good on cal.
    I did bring a hard boiled egg last week, it did fill me up a little more than usual.
    Maybe I'll try doing this more often.
  • shanwow16
    Options
    sometimes i make a simple breakfast burrito (that i've thrown in a bag to take)
    quickly cook 1 eggbeater egg. i use la tortilla factory low-carb, high fiber whole wheat tortilla- 80 calories.
    a tablespoon of salsa, the cooked egg, & a cup of shredded lettuce. depending on your salsa it should all be under 125 calories.
    you could even add cheese.

with my franz english muffins (also 100 calories) i use pb2, the powdered peanut butter. tastes like dry roasted peanuts and only 53 calories for 2 tablespoons.

(have you ever tried steel cut oatmeal? i cook it in the evening because it does take longer. a cup makes 4 servings. i put it in small individual serving containers, then i can heat it in a minute in the microwave. the flavor & especially the texture is sooo much better than instant).

Thanks!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OK it's pretty cheap, high in protien and taste great, have you tried 2 eggs with salsa and whatever veggies you may have. from the protien you take in there is no need to take out all the yolk, or you could use egg beaters and a cup of Ginger aid tea (it promotes healthy digestion) just cause your dieting don't mean it can't taste great.
  • MandyThomas
    Options
    I totally agree with you - I have very little time in the morning because I do my workout at 6:00 a.m., and have to get two boys ready and to school by 7:30 a.m. and then I have a 30 minute drive to work. So I have no time in the mornings!

I love this one: take yogurt and add Grape Nut O's to it and enjoy! so filling and so fast!:love:

Here's a recipe that I got from a Weight Watchers meeting- so filling and you can make a lot of them and freeze them!

Ingredients for 1 BIG Cookie: :love:

1/3 cup of oats
    1 Tb raisins
    1 Tb flour
    1/3 cups fat-free dry milk (like Carnation powder)
    ¼ cup applesauce (no-sugar added)
    ¼ tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp. baking powder
    1 Tb Splenda or other no-calorie sweetener *
    Ingredients for a batch of 4 BIG Cookies:

Note: These cookies are huge and filling. You might even want to bake them as 6 smaller cookies for less points!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a LARGE cookie sheet with Pam or use two smaller cookie sheets. Mix all ingredients together and spoon 4 large mounds on sheet. Bake for 15-20 min.

(You can even freeze a whole batch of these and then thaw them out as needed. You can also nuke them in the microwave before serving.)

Nutritional Info: (per cookie): 270 calories, 2 g. fat, 4.2 g. fiber (5 points per cookie)

(Using sugar instead of splenda adds 1 point per cookie, for a total of 6 points per cookie.)

Source: Weight Watchers Food Talk Board (justplainvanilla)

If you have a microwave at work try these::bigsmile:

Microwave omelet
    put egg beaters (I use the southwest style for extra taste), fresh or frozen vegs of your choice, shredded cheese, salt and pepper in a ziplock steam bag and microwave until the eggs are done (about 1-1.5 minutes)! You can put all of the ingredients together in a bag and then pop in the microwave at work and presto you have an omelet.

Take egg beaters and place them in a small round bowl (the bowl should be about the size of an english muffin), microwave for about 1 minute until the egg is done, then take a turkey sausage patty put it in the microwave until done, and then place both the egg and the sausage patty on a thomas 100% wheat english muffin, top with FF sliced cheese and enjoy! YUMMMYYYYY!!!!

And I agree steel cut oats are much better than instant oatmeal. I think they kind of have a "grit" taste and texture that's why I love them!
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.