I didn't recognize myself.....

Options
2»

Replies

• katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Someone gave me a picture they had taken at a party. I was in it. I was speechless. I look in the mirror all the time. I try to look at myself how I really am. but I was shocked at this picture. I didn't even look like 'me' anymore. It''s not like I've gained a lot of weight recently or anything. I know I've gained, but I haven't really 'seen' myself. I feel embarrassed.
    I've used this site before, but this is a fresh start.
    I feel like I've got to make this work, or I'm just going to be doomed to being fat, and probably fatter as I age. it's not just normal middle age spread. I don't expect to have the body of a 20-something. I can handle aging, but I can't handle 'fattening'.
    I am almost 49, 5'5" , and probably 205 lbs.
    I will weigh in officially tomorrow.
    And I don't even care that it's the holiday season. I am not waiting till January.

Yup...took a couple of horrid pictures of me to ask myself why I had let myself go like that? I started in October last year, and can confidently say that if you WANT to lose it enough, no amount of holidays, cookies, pie, or candy will stand in your way. Many, MANY of us on here can attest to that! I've been in maintenance for months, and YOU can do it too!

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    And I don't even care that it's the holiday season. I am not waiting till January.

^^^This is an indication that you are really ready to make a healthy change in your life. WOOT!! Feel free to add me. I had a similar moment, and have been working on getting healthier.
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had to respond too because it was also a picture that got me started on this journey. The bad thing was I did recognize myself and totally did not like what I saw. In fact I'm using that picture as my profile picture. I can also relate to the age because I am 47 and 5'6" and although heavier than you I could only see myself getting heavier as I got older and all the problems that would entail.
    Feel free to add me if you would like.

Kim :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • jbradshaw61
    Options
    I am also new and I'm exaxctly where you are. I'm 51 and in the past 1 1/2 years - put on 33 pounds. Avoid mirrors and pictures. At this age you have to work even harder.. I'm on day 3 . Good luck and be strong over the holidays!!!
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pictures can be crap, I am not photogenic, even though I am attractive (as I am sure you are) Doesn't matter how much I weigh, photos lose a dimension so everything gets flattened out,plus we are always really critical of ourselves. Try not to let it really affect you.If you feel you need to lose weight that is one thing,but don't do it because of your apperance,especially one in a picture.

FYI - I did have that problem,I never had issue with what was in the mirror,but did in most photos,then I realized it was the photos and not me.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on joining MFP! This is your first step on becoming a new healther you. Its going to be a tough road but remember we are here for you and that you are not alone.:drinker:
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'5" inches and was shocked at how the weight had creeped on during my 40s to 190. Before I turned 40, I had lost 20lbs through walking. Life got busy and I stopped walking. Well I put those 20 lbs back plus another 25. The scale was a real shocker! Because I dress well, no one believe me that I weighed that much, however, pictures did tell the tale. I was a fat 50 something woman!

For me the key is walking. Doing classes at the gym or lifting weights allowed me to lose 8 lbs (that I promptly put back on when I stopped going) and that was it. So I have gone back to what worked for me which is walking. I have been walking for the past 3 and a half years and did get down 50lbs but a trip to Europe and not being careful enough put about 17lbs back on. I am down 11 and back on the way to my goal weight.

So I encourage you to get moving and do what works for you to lose the weight. The sooner you start, the sooner you see results and it doesn't get any easier the older you get.
  • kymw
    kymw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome and way to go on not waiting until January! I used to go to Weight Watchers and it was overwhelming the crowds in January! I think it is wonderful to start NOW-even if we don't lose a ton, we are not just giving in and eating free will and then facing an even bigger number on the scales after the holidays! I know what you mean about being shocked by a picture, I would think I looked ok, then see a picture and want to cry. Two years ago I got to meet one of my childhood pop star favorites and I HATE the picture I got to have taken with him....I look so old and heavy, even tho I was happy, my smile didn't light up my eyes because I was so unhappy how I looked. How sad is it to let food have such a hold and power over me that it ruins happy days? I am proud of all of us for being here, and if anyone wants to add me as a friend, I would love to help anyone, cos that only helps me more! BTW I am going to be 51 in January-lost weight earlier in the year but really, really struggling to rein it in right now. You would think a heart attack scare and being miserable with acid reflux would encourage me more-but dang food is one heck of a powerful drug!
  • jjstokes
    jjstokes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 this year. I had gained weight through my 50's and this site has given me back the control. Stick with it and you will feel much better. Love this site!
  • pinecake
    Options
    Hello!! I experienced the same reaction seeing some photos on facebook just yesterday after a attending a party! Arghhhh!!! I am on the journey too starting today! good luck:)
  • mabell67
    Options
    Hi I'm Melissa and I'm new also.Welcome :flowerforyou: I SOOOOOO understand how you feel about the picture thing. I can look at my face but do not want to see a full length picture of myself right now. But I am trying again. I have started to walk on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes at least 3 days a week and this site really has made me aware of calories. OMGOODNESS but in a good way. I started back last week and have lost 2lbs and still eat what i like just not the whole bag of cookies. LOL. Add meeeee!!