Normal for hips to ache....

Options
After running?

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Mine do. Not sure if that makes it normal or not!!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Your hip flexors may be weak - there's a few threads on it if you want to search.
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes sometimes it can be fixed by altering your technique and sometimes you just haven't been for a run in a while and you're a bit stiff. I say and I could be wrong do a few more runs and It still hurts try changing your style just a little bit.
    Oh yes and shoes make a big difference:smile:
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill or on pavement or on gravel? How new are your running shoes?

I've noticed different aches from different running surfaces. When I run on my treadmill, my knees ache. When I run on gravel, my feet hurt. Grass or dirt, back hurts. My hips really hurt when I run on pavement. I need new outdoor running shoes though, so hopefully, when I get new shoes, the pain will stop.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you just recently started running it is normal for you hips and/or knees to ache. You are putting a lot of stress on your joints that they are not used to. Doing some cross training ( squats/lunges) will help strengthen these areas. Make sure you are listening to your body. Some "ache" is ok. If it turns to "pain" you may need to back off.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I just started running again. Will see if ache subsides....
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I started running last October and really didn't have an issue until the spring, when I got new shoes, joined a gym, started lifting weights and using the elliptical, and still running some on the treadmill or on the streets. I wasn't sure what the issue was, and I was being stubborn about not wanting to quit any of it. Well, in August, I got a better pair of running shoes and we moved, so no gym, no elliptical, no running. I just started running again about a month ago and have realized that my hips are not hurting near as bad. I'm not sure if it was the weight equipment or the elliptical or the shoes.

Now, when I run, if my hips are sore, I take an Aleve and try to work through it.

Good luck to you.