TOM tips PLEASE

Options
Hi there!!
TOM stopped by this weekend! YAY ME!!!
My problem is that exercising is REALLY painful when TOM comes to visit. (I have Polycystic Ovarian Disease and Secondary Dysmenorrhea) Seems like I get the blood flowing (no pun intended) by going for a walk and before I know it I'm doubled over in pain. To make matters worse I crave comfort foods like steak and eggs and pork chops with potatoes and gravy and all those delicious meats that are loaded with fat. Salads and tofu just don't cut it and I end up eating everything in the house... I wanna say self control but that just makes me want to cry... I've been watching my calorie intake- still staying with in the allotted calories for the day but I feel like I've gained a million pounds and I still want to eat everything in site. Any body have any tips to make this easier?

Thanks!

Replies

• DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Monday was the day for me and I was totally craving steak. So I had some. And I went over my calories and I've just been trying to drink a lot of water to compensate. I don't weigh myself during these times because your weight fluctuates too much. Good luck!

I'm trying REALLY hard to stay away from the girl scout cookies in the freezer... sigh...
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I dont have any tips, but I will tell you .... I dont exercise during the first 3 days of girlie time. Mine usually lasts 5 days. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation. I CRAVE chocolate cake, and I eat it..a small piece, but I still allow myself to have it. I havent gained back any of the weight Ive lost in that month and Im happy knowing I can do that for 1 or 2 days and Im still fine with the weight loss.
  • DrKloctopussy
    Options
    Steak/egg/meat cravings may due to iron deficiencies common in women at TOM. Try indulging in some iron-rich foods like lean beef, seafood, most beans, etc. (You can find lists on line). You can also try iron supplements, but I've heard they cause cramping (I haven't taken them so I dunno). Also, these foods are heavier feeling than salad and tofu (though tofu is high in iron), but they don't necessarily have more calories.
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    i say plan for it. you know he's gonna visit...so make provisions. i had pain like you. i would slow down a bit and then when i knew the guest was pulling out of the driveway...i would pick up where i left off. i eventually had a hysterectomy...the best gift i ever gave myself!

as far as the cravings...i plan for those too. but i drink a bottle of water first. (your body does not have a "thirst" button and a "hunger" button. if you feel thirsty then you are already on dehydration avenue. hunger means your body needs something. water or food.) then if the craving is still there...i look at my numbers left and determine what is the best bang for the buck...

there is nothing wrong with having what your body wants...just dont let your body dictate everything.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Much obliged ladies!!
    Perhaps all I needed was a little validation and a reminder that i should probably listen a little more closely to my body. Gonna have some seafood and spinach for dinner, get back to running as soon as he leaves and totally avoiding the scale for the next week.
    Thanks Again!
    Cheers!
    :drinker:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Monday was the day for me and I was totally craving steak. So I had some. And I went over my calories and I've just been trying to drink a lot of water to compensate. I don't weigh myself during these times because your weight fluctuates too much. Good luck!

I'm trying REALLY hard to stay away from the girl scout cookies in the freezer... sigh...

Goes to the freezer to get girl scout cookies...
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Totally... the Girl Sout Cookies wouldn't last a minute in my freezer right now. :)
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Its taking every fiber of my being to avoid them... Especially the tag-a-longs... Oh Good Lord, the tag-a-longs. Sigh.