650 Pound Virgin

Options
in 2009 with the help of Chris Powell, David lost 400LBS & became a personal trainer, helping others. Unfortunately, over the last 3 years, David has gained back 300LBS.

This goes to show how important it is to not only change your OUTSIDE, but your INSIDE as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTlvDMBDIxQ&feature=related

Replies

• WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, and trying to do the same. I think weight loss is never going to happen long term if we don't work on our emotions and what we feel on the inside.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I saw that..it made me very sad. I actually was never able to lose weight when I was depressed. It was only after I felt better on the inside that I wanted to feel better and look better physically. I hope he doe it again, and I hope he does it right. He seems like a really nice guy.
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    Well I can understand this... It's hard to forget who you've been for years.
    When I was a child, I was the skinny one (I was 5ft and 105lbs when I was 10). I was the one that everyone bullied because it was easy. Now I'm 6ft and 260lbs but I sometimes forget that and still feel and act like I still was a weakling...

I don't know how I'll handle it when I'll reach my goal weight. I guess it won't be as hard than for the 650lbs Virgin.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am sure this is not only my fear - but the fear of many other people on MFP trying to lose the weight...and Im sure David had a fear of this as well. I am wondering what is it that has to change? Like i understand 1 - knowledge on healthy eating 2 - practicing healthy eating habits 3 - dealing with emotional traumas that may have lead to over eating 4 - stress management, healthy coping alternatives to eating.

I have read once that you need to tell yourself that your goal is not to "get down to ***lbs" but to make the "get down to ***lbs and stay there forever"...or something along those lines. Many people could lose all of the weight, then once they reach their weight goal - its like it can all go out the window.

Another thing that could help prevent this is to keep developing fitness goals even after you have lost all of the weight. Keep pushing for 1 more mile, fast, more weights, a challenge...to keep a person motivated to continue maintaining their weight long term.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I hope he makes it this time. Poor guy.
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    :( That's so sad. Hope he can loose the weight again.

Changing how you look at yourself on the inside I think is that hardest part about this journey. I've lost 60 lbs already and still feel like I look the same now as I did 60lbs ago. I have been working on changing the inside lately I think it has stopped me from being all I can be since my insides haven't caught up yet.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    That made me sad. Really sad.

I hope he can make it this time and make the changes for life.

I think therapy would help him.
  • bmalone62
    bmalone62 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is just really heartbreaking! It's hard enough just losing the weight but it's even harder to change our way of thinking so we can keep it off. Hopefully he makes it this time around!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've done the same 4 times in my life: lost the weight I needed to lose, regained it. I remember sitting in my kitchen dipping mushrooms into bleu cheese dressing and eating them, knowing I was going to regain the weight, not able to turn myself around.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm even bothering to try again, then I remember how my feet and ankles feel if I have to walk very far. I owe it to my aging joints to get some of this weight off them! And I owe it to myself to stop being an eating machine.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    This is so scary! I know for me at least, I always say "oh if I get down to my goal I will never get up to x weight again" This is so very sad :( Is the battle ever over?
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I definitely worry about this. I think, for me, it has to be about more than just the weight. I set out to lose 100 lbs (main goal was to get off bp meds though). I lost 60 lbs from March 2011-Dec. 2011. Haven't really lost anything since then. For the last 11 months, my weight has stuck between 173-179. If it were just about the weight, I'd probably have gotten frustrated and given up. But it's about my health.

The fact that I was able to go off blood pressure meds after 10 years, my cholesterol is down and I'm healthier and fitter than I've been in my entire life (despite still being considerably overweight) is what keeps me running, lifting and watching what I eat.
  • undeludedwish
    Options
    That is so true. So much of our weight loss efforts are hampered because once we get to our goal weight, we have trouble accepting and getting used to our new selves. We are still thinking like our old selves, whether its 5 pounds, 15 pounds, or 150 pounds ago. That mental mindset of holding onto the past keeps us from staying in the present.

That video made me tear up :( Although it's pretty easy to do that today lol
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Wow....
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Poor guy =( He worked so hard, and then when he started to gain he lost so many friends...it makes me wonder if that trainer friend of his only used him to get famous in the first place, though.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    We overweight folks use food to draw our focus away from something that is causing us pain--if we don't address what we're telling ourselves in our heads (that cause this pain), and release the pain, we will find losing and maintaining a healthy weight will become a life-long, very tense and painful struggle. Addressing and fixing the perceived problems in our minds while at the same time losing the weight and getting healthy is the ONLY solution to breaking the food addiction for good.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    well being that i just gained 20 lbs over the summer.... im kind of getting the whole lifestyle change. its hard though because when food is your drug of choice- for comfort or to block emotion, u need to come up with a new one. im thinking mine was excercising. i really got out my stress... gotta find me a new gym and reboot
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'd heard about this guy before and felt so sorry for him. I think it shows just how difficult it is to keep weight off. If he managed to lose 400 lb (!!!), he clearly wasn't lacking in willpower, determination, commitment, etc.

We see so many articles about people who have lost huge amounts of fat, along with their before and after pictures, but I'd really love to see more articles about people years down the line to see how they managed afterwards.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    So many people fail to grasp that *this is how you will be eating for the rest of your life*

Understand that now and you will be fine.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    :heart:
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I saw his loss on TV one evening. Super sad that he ended up gaining it all back.