How do you keep track when you live with people who don't

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:

I log into MFP and I track my food. Whether or not my wife tracks her intake has nothing to do with me tracking my intake.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:

I log into MFP and I track my food. Whether or not my wife tracks her intake has nothing to do with me tracking my intake.
    ^Bingo.

Just change wife to husband for me.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    That's an easy one, I bought a refrigerator for my room, I buy my own food and cook it. I don't worry about what they do. I take care of my self.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:

^Bingo.

Just change wife to husband for me.

or exchange...heh.

turn on computer...log food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I live with someone and I find it truly difficult to go on a steady tracking week. If you live with anyone, how do you keep track of everything and staying motivated. I haven't been tracking for 3 days due to my hunger pangs and my roomate not being that motivated to track. I think that he has just given up and don't care anymore. ugh...!!!

My family doesn't need to keep track. I'm the fat one in the family. It doesn't bother me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:

Same. Except my husband, not his wife.

Also, a few months into this, I started taking one weekend day off per week to not log my food. I wouldn't necessarily binge or "cheat" those days, but if I wanted a couple of pretzels or chips or cookies, I'd have them without counting/measuring an exact serving. I'd have a drink or three. If I was invited to a birthday party, I'd have cake. I knew it was damn near impossible for me to really eat enough in one day to undo the work I did the rest of the week. Once I hit my initial goal weight, I expanded that to weekends, holidays and vacations. It helps me keep my sanity to take breaks from logging.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I live with someone and I find it truly difficult to go on a steady tracking week. If you live with anyone, how do you keep track of everything and staying motivated. I haven't been tracking for 3 days due to my hunger pangs and my roomate not being that motivated to track. I think that he has just given up and don't care anymore. ugh...!!!

How in the world does the fact that your roommate isn't tracking have any effect on whether you track?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I live with my hubby and 2 kids. I'm the only one of us that needs to lose weight, so I'm the only one who has to be more careful about portions.

HOWEVER

I'm the cook in this house - and I cook only 1 meal at a time. If they don't like it, they will have to get over it. I'm not a short order cook, and I won't be cooking 3 different meals. Hubby has been very supportive, and the kids are learning that I mean it - eat it, or don't, but I'm not making something else.

I haven't made drastic changes to how I cook. It's been small changes, increasing the variety, introducing more veggies, and the 'eat what I serve' rule is nothing new, so it's no shock to them. I'm not just doing this for me. It's so the whole family can be healthier. If I eat healthy and then turn around and serve them garbage from a box or a can - what am I saying to them?

Snacks - thankfully, hubby has different taste in snacks than me, so mostly what he likes isn't a temptation. The few things that are, I've asked him to store out of my line of sight. If I don't see it, I won't think about it. And I make sure I leave a little wiggle room for a healthy snack in the evening if I get the munchies.
  • parmeisan
    parmeisan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    >> My birthday is coming up in a week and this could easily turn into a 10 lb. binger.

I say, give yourself permission to go over that day, but decide by how much ahead of time and try to lessen the impact by eating a little less on the day or two preceding. Remember, this is a lifestyle change - so don't do anything you can't keep up long-term. There's nothing wrong with eating more one day and less another, just stay below maintenance level on average and you'll lose weight. The more you stay below by (unless you aren't eating enough to live on, that's not good either) then the faster you'll lose. Think of it like a piggy bank - you can borrow occasionally but you shouldn't do it often, and you can't ever borrow more than you put in!

On the snacking issue, I recommend having a lower-calorie snack (that you enjoy) around. Assume that you will snack each day - snacking is good for you anyway. When you're tempted, go ahead and do it! Just try to stick with healthier options than he does.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

How in the world does the fact that your roommate isn't tracking have any effect on whether you track?

haha You're spicy today;) I like it.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband does not track and eats chocolate in front of me every evening ... he thinks it is healthy (???!!!).

You cannot change other ppl, you can only change yourself. The others may follow, who knows....

My suggestion to you is, when he snacks, do smth else that you like (take a bath? try meditation?), or go out for a walk. And at your BD, reward yourself with something else, not food (New clothes/tickets for a sport event, whatever you enjoy!).
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I live with my parents and younger brother and the three of them don't track or calorie count at all. My mom is only about 10lbs off her goal, my brother is three inches taller than me and at 6'2'' weighs about 150lbs, and my dad couldn't care less. I still log everything. If my mom cooks she saves labels or lets me know what she's put into the recipe so that I can track properly which is really helpful. It's not easy to keep up with but I find it completely necessary or else I get siderailed so easy. I have the app on my phone and I HAVE to pull it out and track when I'm eating. Those around me are used to it haha.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    No one else in my household tracks.
    After a while they will stop nagging you about how you weigh everything, or they won't and you'll just stop caring about their nags.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and ignore the people around you! I deal with the same thing on a daily basis! My husband will sit on the couch at night, and eat chips, candy, cakes, all in front of me. And the evening time for me is the worst for cravings, and he knows it! So I look to my MFP friends for encouragement and support! And reach down deep for that will power! You can do it.. I am with you, it is hard!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I live with my husband and a 3 year old. MFP is my decision, not theirs, so it's my responsibility to track and stay on target and have a little will power, not theirs.

I do it by being responsible to myself and accountable to myself.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I live with my boyfriend. I told him that I'll cook what I can eat and if he doesn't want it he can make his own. He's pretty good about junk food, but he loves beer and sweets. I have an ok time avoiding the sweets, but the beer is a problem. I just ask myself what's more important, the taste of something, or maintaining all the hard work I put in over the past year...
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do the shopping and if you keep the junk out and bring in healthy foods, its not a big deal. As far as controling your roommate, its impossible and if you want this bad enough you will be able to look past what he does and relish in your success. Those are what will keep you going strong!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    basically the power to say no lies with you..and no one else....

sure I'm not saying it isn't HARD...or difficult....

but it's not like your roommate is going to reap the rewards of your hard work, only you are...and so only you can say no.

for every no you say, you've been victorious at something...not him.

jus sayin
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    My wife is just not into this health thing and i admit it is hard. But you have to do it for you and not worry about others. I have lernaed that you can;t change what is not your responsibility.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

How in the world does the fact that your roommate isn't tracking have any effect on whether YOU track? Are you physically attached to him and sharing a brain?

haha You're spicy today;) I like it.
    :smile: