Options
firegirlred
firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
What has been your experience with it?

Replies

• vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've had it for just over a year and it's the best BC I have ever used. I've had no side effects, no problems.
  • alisaperry74
    Options
    I love, love love it! I got it right after my son was born. He's 7 now. I had no side effects...normal cycle. I love the fact that I never have to worry about birth control and I don't have to take a pill every day. My experience has been 100% positive, but I know there are some who have not been as lucky.
  • elizabennett
    Options
    I love mine! I have endometriosis and used to to have very heavy, very long periods. The first one I had for a year and had no period at all. The one I have now i do, but not often and very short and very light. I don't have the debilitating cramps anymore either. I have heard it can mess with your weight but I didn't find that for me. I have had the same weight issues with it in for a year as I did when I had it out for a year and having it in again for 6 months. I also deal with depression and heard it can make that worse since it has hormones similar to the pill. I haven't had any problem with it in that area either, I think because the hormones aren't processed through your liver like the pill.

The bad part is that I have 2 friends that have gotten pregnant with one. One techinically didn't have it in, because the doctor perforated her uterus while inserting it, which is very rare, but it was in her abdomen, not her uterus. If you do have it done, make sure it is by a doctor that does a lot of Mirena, not just IUDs because they are supposed to be trickier to put in. My other friends just got pregnant. She has also gotten pregnant with the pill, so she's really fertile. I have many friends that have it though, and all love it. Let me know if you have questions...
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I made myself keep mine for over 7 months thinking that I would get over the painful lower back cramps, nausea, bad attitude and mild depression I had while using it. It was torture. Wierdest thing ever to think that depression can be caused by something like that, but the moment I had it taken out I felt better and a week later after all the hormones left my body I had no more side effects.

I also gained weight using it, but that could have just stemmed from eating to feel better? Hard to say.

Before I had my daughter at 29 yrs old I could use any kind of bc. Afterwards, nothing. Pills increased my blood pressure way too high, mirena made me have the above symptoms. I wasn't about to try the shot or the things they stick in your arms. Its too bad really.
  • Ellie113
    Ellie113 Posts: 49
    Options
    I have had it for 4 yrs and not had a single problem, I don't even get the actual period or cramps( which I used to suffer with terribly)........just the cravings and a bit of moodiness!!! I would highly recommend it , beats everything I have ever used.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Love it! It will be 5 years in Sept for me. I got it put in after having my son. I have light stopping but don't have to wear anything. No cramps or anything like that. Love not having to buy female supplies and take a pill every day!
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    I love mine also. I have had it since November and the first month was tough, especially the first week. I felt shifted around inside and I was extra juicy. My period was also very heavy and long the first month and I had cramping. But every month since then has been good. My periods are regular and very light. They get lighter with each month and my libido has increased. It had become almost obsolete when I was on the Nuvaring. I suggest it for anyone not looking to have kids for a few years.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I got it in November. I've continued to lose weight. I had some cramping and off-cycle spotting the first 2 months. Now the cramps are gone and I only spot during my TOM. I don't have to wear a pad or tampon. I'm hoping that by the 6 month mark, I won't have a period at all anymore. Heaven!!!
  • stargust1
    Options
    I used it for 1 year....just had it taken out October of 2009. When they put it in....worse pain than having my two children. They had to keep me in the office for over two hours after putting it in because my blood pressure went really high, I felt like I was going to faint and started throwing up. After the two hours and having to take the night off of work.....everything was fine...no pain, no periods.....
    and then over the course of 1 year, I gained 20lbs. (not sure if that had something to do with it or not, but I blamed it on that!)

I was told that what happened to me isn't typical, but from time to time it does. Will I ever use it again....NO. The pain scared me way too bad.....
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    i am on my second one. i loved loved loved the first one. i was one of the lucky ones who had no period (or very minor and rare spotting) with it! that was super cool!!! however, a year & a half ago, i had a new one put in (they are good for 5-6 years). this one has been generally okay but i do get a period on it (boo!!) and as a matter of fact, i am going to my dr next week because this latest one has lasted for 3 1/2 weeks now... very light, but STILL!! ENOUGH ALREADY! i doubt this is the mirena's fault - b/c before i had even heard of it, i had the same thing happen (but heavier) and after the doctors got involved and we were trying to sort it all out... i got pregnant with twins!! no worries - that won't happen this time... it won't... it just can't... ;o)
  • mrsvezeau
    mrsvezeau Posts: 30
    Options
    I have had mine in for about 6 months. I did go through a pretty long period of my body getting used to it (4 months), almost to the point that I was going to take it out, but I am glad I didn't. I did have nausea, bleeding and cravings - very similiar to pregnancy symptoms so I few times I took a test to make sure. Right now things seemed to have calmed down and now I just have very light spotting during period time.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I got mine six weeks ago, and bled heavily for two weeks. After that, nothing. I did notice some bloating last week, and a little bit of cramping like I was going to have a period, but no period.

Anyone have bloating and cramping the week that TOM was due, but no actual period?
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    It was only a slight pinch when I had mine put it. But I did have it put in after having a baby at 6 or 8 weeks.
  • mrsvezeau
    mrsvezeau Posts: 30
    Options
    Yes, on those symptoms for sure. At 5 months I didn't have a period and had all the symptoms but it just never got it. The other thing i have noticed is that the periods are a lot lighter but seems to linger longer.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have been on it since December 2006 with NO problems at all! An added bonus is not getting my period. I still get a little PMS but other than that -- its all good.
  • katibug6404
    Options
    I've had mine in since last June or July and I love it. I am horrible at remembering daily (pills) or weekly (patch) things, so this works great. They told me I'd feel a slight pinch, maybe a cramp like sensation when it was put in but I felt nothing. I've only gotten my period once since then. And I didn't gain any weight from that, more from the McDonalds, lol!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I used it for 1 year....just had it taken out October of 2009. When they put it in....worse pain than having my two children. They had to keep me in the office for over two hours after putting it in because my blood pressure went really high, I felt like I was going to faint and started throwing up. After the two hours and having to take the night off of work.....everything was fine...no pain, no periods.....
    and then over the course of 1 year, I gained 20lbs. (not sure if that had something to do with it or not, but I blamed it on that!)

I was told that what happened to me isn't typical, but from time to time it does. Will I ever use it again....NO. The pain scared me way too bad.....

Stargust, you're not alone. I almost fainted, felt really hot, had to lie down for about an hour, and it HURT!!! But since it's been in (2 years now), very little spotting, every few months, no side effects, just the cramps bloating and stuff.

I say I still get the PMS but without the actual period.
  • gadgetgizzmo
    Options
    I am one of the users who had a bad experience. The first several months were great. No period, just some spotting. Then after almost a year, I started getting lower back pain. It was gradual, but at the same time i had gained over 20 pounds that summer. Finally, in November, the pain got to the point I had to go to the doctor and they couldn't find out what was wrong. They put me in physical therapy for my back, but it only kept getting worse. They finally decided recently that it is most likely the IUD causing all my pain. Meanwhile, I am in the military and because of all this going on I failed my fitness test and if the pain doesn't go away and I can't start running again, I'll fail again and possibly lose my job over it. When I went to the doctor, they cut the string too short and they couldn't find it to even take it out. Amost a month later, I was finally able to get it out this morning. Thank goodness they were able to find it this time without having to give me local anesthetic. Even though it has only been a few hours, I already notice a difference. I hope that was what was causing the pain so I can start running again, lose this weight and pass my fitness test.
  • skokonutter
    Options
    Well I had mine put in before as I was living in the UK and they don't believe in doing tubal ligations because women love this Mirena so much and the doctor said there were no side effects and it didn't cause weight gain, or so the doctor professed. So, initial insertion was relatively painless, she was a very good gp. I the UK you don't pay for birth control so it was free. My daughter was 14 months by that time and hubby had been using protection. Well, I got home and then went into shock. I felt so light headed and dizzy and I had a very sharp pain in my right side, down low. Anyways, I persevered. Two weeks later the diarrhea started, now I know that it triggered a severe bout of microscopic colitis which never left me for 4 years until I got it out. Anyways, when I should have gotten my period, instead I did the great big bloat, my boobs got so hard and big, just like when you are about to breast feed, that was totally gross, every month I put up with this bloating and sore boobs but no period, ever, in 4 years. I can tell you I felt awful, I was so grumpy, *****y and irritable for two weeks out of every month and the rest of the time I just felt kind of puffy. Also, you will laugh at this, when I came home from the UK, I had it in for 8 weeks, I had already gained 6 pounds. I went and arranged a tubal ligation, and I had this done, and the gynecologist suggested I leave it in as I would be doubly protected. So I did. Over the 4 years, I went from 158 lbs to 190. I had it taken out at the end of 4 years, and like previous comments, felt amazingly different after only a week. Unfortunately, weight and colitis didn't stop until I found myself an acupuncturist who could help me. Resetting system has been a long drawn out affair. So--would I recommend it. Only if you are not sensitive to hormones, the idea that progesterone doesn't circle in the blood is hogwash, it definitely does. So, if you try it, and you see yourself gaining weight within six months, you will keep gaining so get it taken out. If you don't gain weight, and don't become depressed, then it is good for you. I was too sensitive on it, and can't believe I took so long to get it taken out, I think I would have been better off on the pill then that!:ohwell:
  • skeeter230
    skeeter230 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for over a year, loving it. Its so nice not to lay down at night and wonder if I forgot to take my pill and having to drag myself up after finally getting comfortable to go check. Its the best thing since sliced bread. I have gained some weight since having it but dont know if that is the problem or just life.