For everyone freaking out about Thanksgiving...

Options

Replies

• CressidaJL
    CressidaJL Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great post. :)
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I great quote I heard on Fat2Fit Radio podcast is "It is not important what you eat between Christmas and New Years, it is important what you eat between New Years and Christmas." The same idea can apply to Thanksgiving.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.

I'll be officiating bball scrimmages coming up on Fri, Sat & Monday plus I'm working out every day this week so I won't feel as guilty about enjoying the food on Thanksgiving. I still want to make my goal of 6.5 more pounds by year's end so I've got to make sure I'm steady for the next six weeks.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Going to quick add 3000 calories to my food diary in the morning and thats the last of MFP for the day.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love this post!! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou: However, What do you do if you have 4 different Thanksgivings to go to, lol?? :ohwell: I try to ask what everyone will have at each one and then pick and choose... at one place, they have really good potato casserole so I will splurge on this. At the other place, they have my favorite apple pie so I will eat desert there and not any of the other places. The wine though, that is something I don't ever feel the need to cut back on, :drinker:
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    Going to quick add 3000 calories to my food diary in the morning and thats the last of MFP for the day.

I hope I stay below 3,000 but who knows! I'm running a half marathon that morning so that makes it totally justifiable, right?!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better. :drinker:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree!! I've also maintained for many years, and I eat like a mad woman on Thanksgiving (who am I kidding, the whole Thanksgiving weekend)!! However, the week leading up to it, I eat lighter and exercise more. On Thanksgiving morning, I wake up and run a 5K first thing. I PLAN for it, and that has been the secret to enjoying life!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Amen and Hallelujah! I so with you!! I plan to enjoy!! I've seen people post that they're bringing their measuring cups to their relatives house to measure everything?!?!!??! Really.....it's ONE meal. ONE big meal does not make you fat.....many many days of excess calories does. Enjoy your day and get right back into healthy habits the next day and work out!!!!
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options

I'm doing the same thing! I already input 3000 in for that day, and I've planned all of my other calories, for the rest of the week, to work around that indulgence. It's the only way that seems logical for ME.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am not freaked out about it, but I am not going to pig out either. Yes, Thansgiving is an American tradtion, but to me it should be about giving thanks, and spending time with your family. I realize that pigging out one day a year on a holiday is not what makes me fat, but for me I think it is just better to stick to a reasonable amount of food. This is working for me. I also know from the few times that I have binged since I started eating healthy that not only will I feel guilty after if I do, I will feel physically bad. So it is just not worth it for me. So while I may eat things I would not on a day to day basis, I will still try to be in my calorie goal, and I will find time for at least a short walk that day.
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    On Thanksgiving Day I will eat what I want but in moderation. I do plan to log just out of curiosity. I am not going to shoot myself for that day. As for the other events that surround Thanksgiving and Christmas... those I plan to also attack in moderation. I will have at least a taste of everything I want but not go overboard and I will log it all.

If I go over my calories for that day it won't be the end of the world. As other posters have said this is about a lifestyle change... the holidays will come around every year for the rest of my life so I need to learn how to deal with them in moderation and know that I can get back on track if things don't go so well with my self control on those individual days.

Happy Holidays everyone!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Couldn't have written that better myself.
    I great quote I heard on Fat2Fit Radio podcast is "It is not important what you eat between Christmas and New Years, it is important what you eat between New Years and Christmas." The same idea can apply to Thanksgiving.

LOVE this!
  • Skymollie
    Skymollie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So, it is not just the one day of eating but the door it opens…followed by a very dark, long hallway.

Very good sentence and so true. Most of us are not here because we ate two cookies instead of one. We ate the whole bag many times over. Binge eating is becoming an American way of life. Emotionally we are unhappy and so we reach for the sugar fix. It is amazing how you can eat one cookie and be ok psychologically but if you eat three you feel like a failure and so you eat three bags of cookies to prove the point in your mind that your'e still the failure you have always been. It's time to change this thinking but hard to undo a lifetime thought process.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    (Asking the hostess to keep all the food wrappers ??????? Wow, I thought I'd heard everything :laugh: )

One thing I've learned over the last 4 years of "weight watching" is that this is MY decision ....... it's up to ME to take care of myself ..... if I'm watching calories, it's up to me to make healthy selections and adjust portions ...... if I'm vegetarian and invited to someone else's house, then it's up to me to bring along foods that I can eat ....... and if I want to taste that lovely dessert my sister made, I do ...... and I don't ask how many calories it is.

People hosting parties have enough on their minds without my "special needs" ....... in fact, I don't talk about diets at all, especially during the holidays while people are stuffing their faces .......

But if someone really wants to know how I lost 40+ lbs I'll be glad to talk to them ...... away from the dessert table LOL

Thanks, OP, for sharing your thoughts ...... and enjoy a great Thanksgiving :drinker:
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Great post!
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just love you....you always make so much sense. I am vegan so I've bought a tofu turkey and I'm making all the trimmings for others. Thanks for the reminder that it is not what you do once a year, but how you daily live your life. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is cooking this year and he goes all out. Frankly, we will have leftovers thru Sunday. I plan on running my 5k training runs today and weds for some extra padding room. I will probably run the day after if I can.

However I am not even gonna try to count calories Thanksgiving Day. This is my one massive cheat day and I will be thankful for it!
    nom nom nom nom!
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I hope I stay below 3,000 but who knows! I'm running a half marathon that morning so that makes it totally justifiable, right?!

Great idea! I think I will do the same. And you will burn a minimum of 1000 calories if not more with the 1/2 so its totally justifiable!. To ease my guilty conscience I will be attending a 1 hour boot camp class and a 1 hour Zumba class (the Zumba is more for fun with the added bonus of burning calories), Then its turkey and mashed potato time!!:bigsmile:
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    So glad for this post. I have been waffling between skipping all the good stuff, trying to log everything, just saying forget it for the day, that kind of freaking out thing.

I'll just have fun with family and friends, eat what I want to in moderation, burn up some extra calories that morning at the gym and get right back into the swing of things on Friday.

Also, I wont even think of stepping on the scale until that next week.

Then of course there will be the family Christmas party and Christmas day to "not" worry about.

Then new years will roll around and I wont have anymore big cheat days to look forward to for awhile.