Replies

• green_nurse
    green_nurse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    couch to 5K! Go!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You won't know until you try. I also think you should start with intervals. If I were you, I'd start by walking for 1:30 and then jogging for 30 seconds. See how that goes, if it's challenging, keep the same intervals and just go for longer next time. Gradually over time decrease your walking time and increase your running time.

My story - I've never, ever been a strong runner. I've always been pretty active, I feel like I could walk or bike for ages, but running? No way. So, I signed myself up for a half marathon training program. I stuck to it, got past some mental hurdles and now I really am finally finding a running groove (3 half marathons later). There is a pretty steep learning curve, you might surprise yourself at how well your body responds if only you ask it to.

Do get yourself the right equipment (proper shoes and a good sports bra). Also get some body glide as that will help with chafing. I use that wonderfull stuff for every run whereever anything rubs and it really makes a difference in comfort.
  • venturaroo
    venturaroo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been walking forever and my body just feels like it wants to jog now...it's really weird because I don't jog unless something is chasing me (which is never lol)!! The C25K is going to be my New Year's thing. I want to run a 5k in 2013!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me not to run until I was within 20 pounds of a healthy BMI or my joints would suffer- but i was in recovery after not being able to walk for a long time, so i think he was being stricter on me.

but riding a stationary bike, spinning, doing body weight circuits, pilates, etc - got me much much farther in the beginning than running did anyway!
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    if you can do the skipping and the butt kicks on 30ds then you could probably start a program, as other posters have suggested,which has little jogs split with brisk walking. The b))bs thing... well gravity is a sod for us big girls but get a great bra (some people wear two) and go for it. How have you coped with the "bounce" on your other workouts...same thing!
  • gjjhicks
    Options
    I'm here to pimp C25K too. I started the program about a week ago. When starting I could barely do the 1min jogging. Today I did Week2 Day2 TWICE! C25K added enough of a challenge for me to make it something I had to work on. The jogging/walking combo makes it fun by breaking it down into bite size pieces.

I used to HATE running. Thought it was the most boring painful thing you could do to get into shape. Now I don't feel that way. The program has build up my conditioning and I've never been in pain from running. I can't wait until I complete the 5k.

If you can't run or jog more than a few seconds then don't worry. You can increase the gradient you walk at or increase speed to a brisk walking pace or just walk the whole thing, whichever is best for you.
  • LostinFat77
    LostinFat77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well my scale doesn't move often (currently resting at 209) but my body has changed and I have started jogging a bit in the past couple of weeks and I can do it multiple days in a row without getting injured as in the past. I have osteoarthritis and jogging about 6-9 months ago would taken me down for 2 weeks, even the 30 day shred would too.

Until my body got better I focused on other exercises that didn't involve bouncing. Lifting weights, slow aerobics, belly dancing, dance cardio, etc. You don't have to just do walking. Playing outside is even good because it's activity.

As for bras, when I started I was wearing a K cup (so sad face) and I saw on here women saying Moving Comfort brand was good. I got the Fiona style in the largest band and cup size they make (it doesn't go up to K cups lol) off amazon.com and used that until I got back into normal sizes. It held them down with little movement. It didn't dig, roll up, or ride up.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just start! I run a little walk a little, I have tried the c25K and I hated it. LOL if I didnt make it in the time alotted I'd feel like I'd have to repeat it until I got it. So I walk to the top of this hill run to that tree walk to that mail box, run to that light pole. Then change it all up running farther and farther. I can run a full mile now and walk a few min run half a mile, walk a few min run more.. I just keep taking away those walks inbetween.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You're ready whenever you're ready to get up and get going. Start the C25K program and see how you make out. Get fitted at a running store for good shoes, get an industrial strength sports bra or two, download the app and head off.

This (also, a technical shirt or two is great - there's such a difference with running gear vs. cotton clothes!). You'll start out doing jogging/walking intervals, and if you find you're pushing yourself too hard and your knees are hurting, scale back. As you build more muscle support for your knees you'll be able to do more, but you don't want to damage yourself meantime!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    The only running you'll catch me doing is the occasional HIIT session. Takes about 20 minutes is all.

Here are some sample instructions:
    1. Warm up for three to five minutes
    2. Then, go all out, as hard as you can for 30 seconds
    3. Recover for 90 seconds
    4. Repeat 7 more times, for a total of 8 repetitions
    5. Cool down for a few minutes afterwards by cutting down your intensity by
    50-80%.

If you think running is absolutely necessary to become lean, please do not buy into that myth.
  • reankanesmom
    reankanesmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not think there is a magic number. I think it is whenever you are comfortable enough to do it. I started out at 271 and even though I would run around with my kids running or jogging on the treadmill or street was different. I really didnt start running/jogging til I was 240 and I just made sure I wore baggy shirts and a nice fitting sportsbra to keep the girls from bouncing.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The short version: how do I know when I am ready to start jogging/running?

Back story: I started MFP at 315 pounds. I hate walking. Hate it. It is scratch-my-eyes-out boring to me. I have been doing 30DS and have had great results. I really want workouts that are challenging because I dig the visible results.

But even with 40 pounds gone, I don't feel like my joints (esp knees) can handle the impact of jogging. Plus I have this whole ginormous bust thing going on and I'm pretty sure jogging will blacken my eyes at this point.

So, is there a magic weight? Or tell-tale signs for when a body is ready to handle jogging?

Everyone's different. Break in very slowly see how you go. I tried at around 230-240 started to get lots of injuries. I'm now down to 215 so gonna try again. My advice? Try C25K... Think I did too much, too quickly...

Can't stress this enough! GET GREAT trainers, they can always be used for other things so won't go to waste. Massively important... I'm starting this time around with new good trainers x
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Good advice here re: starting with intervals & even trying some flavor of C25k.

Above all, I'd say GO SLOW. Don't worry about speed, just find the point at which you can be either walking really quickly or jogging really easily. For me, on a treadmill, that was about 3.8 MPH. There's pretty much bound to be a point at which a really brisk walk will feel a bit easier when you maintain that speed but shift into a jog.

With that said, if you're like me & haven't been running except when crossing a city street & dodging oncoming traffic, your ability to maintain that easy jog is going to be a bit underwhelming and the very act of running is going to feel W.R.O.N.G.

Don't panic. It'll improve. ;-)

I did C25k for a while. I loved the interval aspect. It really helps with the boredom factor if your next "mini goal" is just a few minutes away. But I didn't find the intervals working very well for me, and I think it was week four that I just found stupid hard. So, in the end, I started using my own intervals. Every week I'd increase the run time by a minute or so, or reduce the walking interval by a minute or so. I ran my first (treadmill) 5k this weekend, but I still use intervals most of the time even if it's just switching from an easy jog to a brief run... It just makes time pass more quickly.

If you decide to give it a go, then step #1 = go get some good running shoes at a good running store. I started out with the wrong shoes, which I pretty much knew but didn't worry too much about it since I wasn't running much & I mostly run on a treadmill (much more forgiving on my bad knee). Switching to the right shoe made a world of difference & that little bit of hip & knee pain I'd been building went away pretty much overnight.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to try running, aim to jog on something other than straight asphalt. This can damage your joints. If there are dirt paths around where you live you might try those. Tracks are also good too, as they provide less resistance than concrete (I like the springy feeling). And start SLOW! The more you push yourself at first, the chances are you won't like it. Just try to the end of the block at first. If that goes well the first day, maybe add a half block or block on the next. Have patience, you aren't going to run marathons next week :) Having a solid workout routine in spite of running helps as well, helps spice things up!
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    if you can do the skipping and the butt kicks on 30ds then you could probably start a program... How have you coped with the "bounce" on your other workouts...same thing!

I do modified versions of the bouncy-jumpy bits on 30DS - right now I am at essentially no-impact. I always have at least one foot on the floor.

I *really* appreciate all the input and encouragement! MFP rocks! :happy:
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I started walking everyday over 3 weeks ago and just started couch to 5k this past week.

The first week my goal was three miles a day, one mile at a time. The next week I was doing all three miles in one stretch.

The only way walking worked for me was telling myself I could stop as soon as I'd finished my three miles. If I just walk for an hour then I'm bored and walking slow, so I walk with a distance goal instead of a time goal.

After a couple weeks doing that I'm walking almost fast enough to count as a job and my shins and ankles don't hurt anymore, so now I started couch to 5k.

Honestly, I would start just walking as fast as you can and try to do 3 miles a day and then in a few weeks see how you feel trying day 1 of couch to 5k. Severe joint pain, pain up the shins and ankle pain probably means you need another couple weeks of walking. It should be uncomfortable, but not painful..

Best cure for it being boring is to get a friend to go along. Now I'm walking with a friend in the morning, with my mom in the afternoon and then on my treadmill at night. It actually starts to get kind of fun when your trying to beat your speed from the previous day. If you have a phone that supports it, an app like Endomondo can help you keep track. It got my friend hooked on walking, now she wants to go every day. lol
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The magic number for running is whatever you want it to be. I started running around 220 lbs. I use the couch to 5k app. Day one of week 1 is 60 seconds of running followed by 90 seconds of walking repeated 8x. I thought I was gonna die. Day 2 of week 1 is a little more. Again thought I was gonna die. I was soooo sore. So instead of 1 day off I took 2 or 3 days off between and then went on to the next step. I've repeated steps because I was sure if I took just one more step I was gonna die. Well, 3 months later I'm not dead. I just finished running 25 minutes without stopping and ran 2.14miles/3.5 km!! Woohoo to me!! I don't run fast. Maybe an 11 minute mile, but I don't stop and you know what? It just isn't that hard. I'm not gonna die. That doesn't mean it's easier. But today was easier than the last time, and next time will be easier yet. And I'm looking forward to running 5k.

Why am I doing this? Not because I loved running. I thought I hated it. Turns out, I don't hate it so much. It's another challenge. A while back I heard myself say I can't run. WHAT? Wanna bet?

Anyhow, lot's of good advice above. Just try it! And good luck!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just finished coaching a woman through Couch to 5K. We started the program nine weeks before the 5K she signed up, didn't have to repeat any weeks because she was able to complete every workout and she ran her 5K in about 46 minutes. And she weighed 323 pounds on race day.

So I'd say there isn't a magic number.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to try running, aim to jog on something other than straight asphalt. This can damage your joints. If there are dirt paths around where you live you might try those. Tracks are also good too, as they provide less resistance than concrete (I like the springy feeling). And start SLOW! The more you push yourself at first, the chances are you won't like it. Just try to the end of the block at first. If that goes well the first day, maybe add a half block or block on the next. Have patience, you aren't going to run marathons next week :) Having a solid workout routine in spite of running helps as well, helps spice things up!

This. I find trail running much easier on my joints, and a lot more engaging.

I started on C25K. It was HARD at first. I seriously questioned whether I would ever be able to run. But, like magic, it gets better. You will feel like you are going to croak after the first 45 seconds. That's normal (just make sure your heart rate is in a good space). After the first few weeks you may find that you actually look forward to your run days. It's a love-hate thing. Running is as much (if not more) brain as body. I do a lot of self talking.

For a bra, I would go to a lingerie store (if you have one) that carries big girl sizes. Most of the nice ones do. I'm not talking Victoria's Secret. Get fitted. You will pay through the nose for it (mine was close to $70), but it will be worth every penny. I initially told myself that I would only wear mine during running days, but I end up washing it every day just because I can't stand the thought of wearing a different one. Good ones for women our size should not only have firm cups, but also have breathability and comfy straps. I know some women double up, but I would roast. I went with the Anita bra, I love it a lot. In addition to having all of the qualities that I listed, it keeps the girls where they are supposed to be without crushing them. I do like to breathe as I work out.

Good shoes, as everyone has mentioned. I like Asics, but everyone's feet are a bit different.

For your joints (especially knees), you need to cross train. Cycling, even stationary bikes, build up very specific muscles that help keep your knees stable and supported as you run. I feel it when I don't use my stationary bike. It's boring, so I always think that I can get away with not using it, but nope - pretty soon my knee starts hurting when I run. Squats are also great for cross training, weighted if you can.

Have patience with yourself, it will get easier.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    "The force of 3 to 6 times a person's body weight is exerted across the knee while walking. In other words, being 10 pounds overweight increases the force on the knee by 30 to 60 pounds with each step taken while walking. The force across the hip is estimated to be 3 times body weight."
    http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/osteoarthritis101/a/obesity.htm

And it's even more pressure with the impact of running.

I personally think hardly anyone should run, but I think waiting until you hit a healthy BMI would be prudent, if you're going to. Especially if you've had joint or foot problems of any kind in the past, or are over 30, or aren't sure.

If you're going to try now anyway, stop at the FIRST sign of pain, especially if it happens 1) while running, vs after, or 2) if after, differs in any way from just general muscle soreness you might feel after any workout <- will probably be on both sides, & feel like a dull ache. Problems -> anything else: even if it's a dull ache, is in a specific location, or just on one side. Or: twinges/pins/pangs/hot feelings/sharp stabbing. Or: is intermittent.

I think it's better to do calisthenics/metabolic conditioning, where repetitive motions are limited. Easier to correct or switch from a squat, lunge, or pushup, & keep working out, vs running, where you have no other real options but to stop & feel bad about it (which might make you keep going when you shouldn't). Or walk, obv. And switching calisthenics up with a few other low/no-impact cardio options every time - safest.