How bad is this breakfast?

Options
vice350z
vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
Usually i make myself an egg on a Pam coated skillet with 2 slices of wheat toast, a smattering of I Can't Believe Its Not Butter Light and a slice or two of turkey bacon...its not that bad with calories.

But there's days when I can't make that and I stop at the market on the way to work and get a premade egg sandwich.

Keiser - Bread Roll, 2 oz 170
Lucerne - Egg, Large , 2 large egg (50g) 140
Morning Star Farms - Sausage Patties, 1 patty 80
Wegmans - Thin Sliced Swiss All Natural Cheese, 1 slice 80

It's about 470 calories by my calculations...unless this stuff is way off.

Is this that bad to have for breakfast?

Replies

• amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine for breakfast, a lot of protein for sure and a good balance of fat and carbs, too. I think it's a great alternative for when you can't cook it at home.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Not bad, but not great either. There's a lot of protein in there, probably fiber devoid though (that other great hunger killer). As long as you make it fit in your macros, if it's a 'gotta have it' thing, then enjoy. I would check out how to do less damage with it though. Trade out your sausage for ham, and the roll for an english muffin, drop to one egg instead of two, and you'll knock quite a few calories off of it.

Oh... and morning star farms is vegetarian sausages, so unless the sausage on your sandwich is a non meat option, it's got more calories then what you have recorded here.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Can you pre-make things the night before at home? I do that sometimes. Or some people cook eggs in the microwave and buy pre-made bacon or frozen turkey sausage patties. 470 calories may or may not be alot of calories, it depends on your daily allowance. In a pinch, its not terrible.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Usually i make myself an egg on a Pam coated skillet with 2 slices of wheat toast, a smattering of I Can't Believe Its Not Butter Light and a slice or two of turkey bacon...its not that bad with calories.

But there's days when I can't make that and I stop at the market on the way to work and get a premade egg sandwich.

Keiser - Bread Roll, 2 oz 170
    Lucerne - Egg, Large , 2 large egg (50g) 140
    Morning Star Farms - Sausage Patties, 1 patty 80
    Wegmans - Thin Sliced Swiss All Natural Cheese, 1 slice 80

It's about 470 calories by my calculations...unless this stuff is way off.

Is this that bad to have for breakfast?

Yes, Swiss on a sausage and egg sandwich?
  • There's nothing wrong with having a breakfast sandwich. Just because it's delicious, doesn't mean it's bad for you. It's well-balanced and full of protein. Enjoy it.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Can't be all that bad.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Does it fit in your cals/macros?

Yes = it's good
    No = it's bad
  • Nothing is bad for breakfast in moderation!!! :)
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with this for breakfast. In fact, that is what I had for breakfast yesterday. (Except I had a whole wheat roll)
  • vice350z
    Options
    i feel guilty eating it for some reason...but I'm thinking its the first meal of the day so as long as I'm good the rest of the day its all good.

But yeah, i should maybe find something a little "healthier" for mornings.

Swiss on an egg is good!

I premake my chicken sandwiches on wheat for the rides home...never really anything for breakfast. I guess I should bring the better breakfast stuff to my bro's house...where I stay most of the work week instead of buying $3.50 egg sammies.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Ditch the roll and it is golden. imho :wink:
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a pre-made sandwich there is more fat and calories there than what you're entering. It isn't a great option. Like another poster said, note that Morningstar is a vegetarian option (are you veggie?) and you're eggs are most likely cooked in oil or butter that you're not accounting for.

I also side eye the Swiss choice. :tongue:
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would try and get a sandwich without cheese. This can sometimes save you 100 calories.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    if it's tasty and you fit it in your macros then yes, it is okay for breakfast. Take into account though that a McD's egg McMuffin has about 300 calories though, so you could have 1 and a half of those instead. Which sounds more filling and appetising to you?
  • vice350z
    Options

Yes = it's good
    No = it's bad

falls into my cals...not sure what macros is though.
  • m0pp3t
    m0pp3t Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're getting fake-sausage sandwich? morningstar farms is veg protein "sausage". What might be on that could be much higher.
  • vice350z
    Options
    If you're getting a pre-made sandwich there is more fat and calories there than what you're entering. It isn't a great option. Like another poster said, note that Morningstar is a vegetarian option (are you veggie?) and you're eggs are most likely cooked in oil or butter that you're not accounting for.

I also side eye the Swiss choice. :tongue:

yeah, that's what I'm thinking. My values may be low and its more calories than I think it is. Didn't know morning star was veggie...i just searched and went with a middle number.

Yeah, i should just stick to my home made egg sandwiches in the morning however possible.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Yes = it's good
    No = it's bad

Your fat/carb/protein goals.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    i feel guilty eating it for some reason...but I'm thinking its the first meal of the day so as long as I'm good the rest of the day its all good.

But yeah, i should maybe find something a little "healthier" for mornings.

Swiss on an egg is good!

I premake my chicken sandwiches on wheat for the rides home...never really anything for breakfast. I guess I should bring the better breakfast stuff to my bro's house...where I stay most of the work week instead of buying $3.50 egg sammies.

I find that when I buy fast food a lot, I don't feel that great compared to if I make something similar at home. Maybe that's what you're feeling? It's not the worst option, but if it makes you feel sick, then I'd say try something else.. In that case, it'd be a great idea to make freezer breakfast burritos or something for on-the-go. Saves money too!

If it doesn't make you feel sick, I'd say it's not a big deal once in awhile. :)
  • vice350z
    Options

Yes = it's good
    No = it's bad

Your fat/carb/protein goals.

oh boy...i've only really looked at calories and not so much at fat/protein.