Pancreatic Cramps while running

Options
I wanted to know from runners about a problem I encountered. I was going well, on the treadmill, and I had gone 5.5mph for a solid 25 minutes. I slowed to 3.0 to take a break, and took a swig of water because I felt my body temperature was rising. I go to run again, and after about 2 minutes, boom! a water cramp shows up, and totally kills my mojo. I walked for another 5 minutes, hoping it would subside, but it didn't, and I had to do uphill walking from then on.

I want to be able to run for an entire hour, because I know I can, but not with these cramps. I have to assume that it is because there is a jam-up with the water trying to pass through the pancreas all at once (it happens kinda on my side).

Question is, how many people encounter this, and what works to counter it, without having to go without water? Any advice would help, thanks!

Replies

• kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The pancreas secrets enzymes such as insuline. It gets its source of water through blood vessels, and not directly from the stomach and intestine after drinking it. You may have got your organs a little mixed up here. Also, if I suspected anything wrong with my pancreas I would have it checked out by a doctor, immediately.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    ISTR if you're training hard, the liver can get sore.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just what is known (in the UK) as a stitch? And from what I recall from school has something to do with lactic acid build-up in the muscles and is a feature of aerobic exercise? ie. nothing really to do with water or the pancreas. Most organs don't actually have pain sensors either so can't directly feel pain.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Well...I have to assume that the water caused the abdominal cramp (if the belly button is 12 Oclock, then it cramps at about 2 Oclock as you look down). If I did not ingest water, I do not have cramp. I then ingest water, and have cramp. But what is it from? What causes it, and what can I do to get enough water without taking too much to get the cramp?
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If the water is colder than body temperature it can cause cramping. I dont think it's guaranteed to do it, but it is possible. Maybe if the water is cold, it could be aggravating something that has become a bit sensitive. I'm not a medical guy; I'm just guessing. Have a doctor check it out if it concerns you that much.
  • bryanska
    Options
    I had pancreatitis many years ago. Recently I cycled very hard and had similiar pains for a few days afterwards. It turns out that my diaphragm was spasming.

My point is, it may be a muscle spasm in the stomach. Gallbladder patients often report that posture can confuse the stomach into motility (movement) with resulting cramps from trying to pass nothing at all.

To test this theory, try exercising in a different posture to change the pressure profile on the stomach. try exercising the same intensity/duration on an elliptical or recumbent bike, and see if water has the same effect.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    its not your pancreas if its on your side buddy...
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you have a squirt bottle, maybe take smaller sips throughout rather then a big drink 1/2 way thru. Just a thought.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    IT could just be that you were building up to a cramp and the change in pace/introduction of the water hastened it's arrival. On the rare occassion that I get a cramp running, nothing makes it stop. Not even walking. So, I guess my advice is of limited value, but I'd say make sure you are well hydrated *before* beginning your run to lessen the chance of getting too dehydrated during the early part of your run. Take small sips and go for a more room temp water. Hope that you can get back out there!!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    A) It's not your pancreas.
    B) This is anecdotal/broscience but true for me. I get stitches/cramps when I do not exhale fully. It doesn't have anything to do with water. Double the length of your exhalations for a couple of breath cycles, until you feel like you don't have any air in you, and see if that doesn't help.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like an organ problem, but if you have real concerns that it may be, you should see a doctor.

Sounds like a regular old side stitch. There's a couple things you can do, but mostly you'll get them less and less often as you become a stronger runner. It's part of the learning curve.

1) Don't take big gulps of water- try a sip here and a sip there- and spit when your mouth feels dry- often runners mistake mouth dryness for actual thirst and end up drinking more water than necessary. Counterintuitively, spitting will help the mouth dryness, a lot. Most of what people complain about as side stitches are from food or water being in your stomach, and the added weight makes it hurt from bouncing around. As you get to be a stronger runner, it won't happen much. It's one of the growing pains of running.
    2) Try putting your arm, the side of the stitch, over your head. For me this is the least effective, but I see people doing it a lot so it must work for someone.
    3) Hold your side, and press in gently where you're getting the stitch. You can start running again slowly doing this, and if it's on your left side, breathe out when your left foot hits the ground. Concentrate on that rhythm. I had a running coach teach me this trick- and most likely it's the distraction of focusing on the rhythm that helps, but it does help me.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The pancreas secrets enzymes such as insuline. It gets its source of water through blood vessels, and not directly from the stomach and intestine after drinking it. You may have got your organs a little mixed up here. Also, if I suspected anything wrong with my pancreas I would have it checked out by a doctor, immediately.

^THIS^

Having suffered with acute recurring pancreatitis for almost a decade (episode free for 26 months!) problems with the pancreas are not something to play with. Let those enzyme levels get out of whack and you can be face-up staring at the roof of an ambulance in no time. In my experience, the pain is all but crippling, not a cramp.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    if you are pushing water though your pancreas it is probably broken
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

^THIS^

Having suffered with acute recurring pancreatitis for almost a decade (episode free for 26 months!) problems with the pancreas are not something to play with. Let those enzyme levels get out of whack and you can be face-up staring at the roof of an ambulance in no time. In my experience, the pain is all but crippling, not a cramp.

I agree with the others. Sounds more like a simple case of stitches.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just what is known (in the UK) as a stitch? And from what I recall from school has something to do with lactic acid build-up in the muscles and is a feature of aerobic exercise? ie. nothing really to do with water or the pancreas. Most organs don't actually have pain sensors either so can't directly feel pain.

ALL of this. ^^^
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well...I have to assume that the water caused the abdominal cramp (if the belly button is 12 Oclock, then it cramps at about 2 Oclock as you look down). If I did not ingest water, I do not have cramp. I then ingest water, and have cramp. But what is it from? What causes it, and what can I do to get enough water without taking too much to get the cramp?

Coorelation does not equal causation. You slowed your pace to drink water... you experienced a cramp immediately after. That does not mean one is a direct cause to the other.
  • 140shorty
    Options
    Outside of a basic exercise stitch, any history of gallstones in your or your family? Sometimes as a person gets healthier, they can expel a stone and that can block your 2 o'clock pancreas (a very bad situation, if that's the case--go get it checked out ASAP if you also experience any of these symptoms: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002129/).

On the other hand, if it gets better with rest, you may be dehydrated. Drink more water and stretch.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    No pancreatic cramps that I have ever heard of.. From everything I have ever read if it is a left side cramp, it is your stomach too full, and causing the pain.. Right sided cramps are diaphram related, you are not breathing enough/ holding your breath.. Learn to pace and breath deep from your stomach not your lungs.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How large of a meal are you eating and how soon before you run?

If you're eating a large meal, wait 3 hours to run, small meal 1-2 hours. Refrain from drinking too much water before running. Also, you shouldn't need to drink water while running unless you're running for hours (or you have a medical condition). Hope this helps.