In Desperate Need Of Advice!!!

Options
Ok guys I could really use some help on this one. So here's the deal...I am a male n my mid 30's, I am 6'2' , was 320 lbs in December of 2011 and have NEVER exercised in my life. So I started My Fitness Pal as my New Years resolution for 2012 and have lost 140 lbs with it by simply calorie counting and with no working out at all. So I am down to 180 lbs but I still have a little pooch belly so I would love to lose that last 10-15 lbs or so. Well to make a long story short my girlfriends son is starting Cross Fit Insanity next week and I want to do it with him so that we can spend time together and bond. My biggest concern is that I know that Cross Fit is pretty hardcore and extreme even for people who are used to working out and I have a feeling that on my 1250 calories a day diet that I might pass out. Even with no exercise at all the 1250 has left me feeling kind of weak. Any suggestions about if I need to increase my calorie count and if so how much? I still need to cut fat but I don't want to be too weak to work out and/or pass out at the gym. Please help!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well first, lets start with calories. 1250 calories is way too little for a man. You probably lost a ton of muscle doing that. Generally men should be no less than 1500-1800 if they are not active. Next, if you have never worked out before, insanity may not be the best program to do. I have done several rounds of p90x and I play ice hockey and even I thought insanity was crazy. But the good thing about beachbody programs is they say do what you can do. At first you might take a lot of breaks and it's ok. Over time you will keep doing more. But you need to fuel your body too. And based on your stats, you need around 2400 calories. And the reason you feel weak is because you are not fueling your body. Even without exercise you should be around 1800 calories based on your stats.
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    wow congratulations on losing that much weight, thats amazing!! im not sure how intense cross fit is as we dont have it here but im assuming its like a bootcamp type thing?? i would up my cals a bit the days you're working out just to give yourself a boost and a bit more energy at the start and then take it from there...you'll know yourself after a few sessions...just be careful and dont overdo it...good luck:smile:
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I checked out circuit training on the exercise tab - they say 660 calories for 60 minutes so you should eat some if not all these calories back

That is add at least 660 calories your daily intake

I also agree you need to eat more in general and before you do this consider getting checked out by your doctor this is hard core from doing nothing.

Congrats on your weigth lost so far!
  • Cali212
    Cali212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try it out once and see what happens. You won't kill yourself with one workout.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well first, lets start with calories. 1250 calories is way too little for a man. You probably lost a ton of muscle doing that. Generally men should be no less than 1500-1800 if they are not active. Next, if you have never worked out before, insanity may not be the best program to do. I have done several rounds of p90x and I play ice hockey and even I thought insanity was crazy. But the good thing about beachbody programs is they say do what you can do. At first you might take a lot of breaks and it's ok. Over time you will keep doing more. But you need to fuel your body too. And based on your stats, you need around 2400 calories. And the reason you feel weak is because you are not fueling your body. Even without exercise you should be around 1800 calories based on your stats.

^^^^THIS!!!! Please follow this advice. Eating is your fuel, your energy! You MUST eat more!!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    1250 really is too low for you weight and height! As you get lower on weight you have to run SMALLER deficits... I'd easily add 500 Cals to that if your starting to exercise. If you feel weak eat a little more. Increase slowly over a few weeks... When you stop feeling weak start on slow and steady exercise and work up to cross fit in a couple of months. You don't want to put yourself off exercise for life. Better to break in a little slow... Incredible loss by the way... Now GO EAT... Try to get lots of protein in when exercising hard too... If nothing else helps with the soreness. Adding a protein shake may be a good idea... X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Seeing your doctor first is also a good idea! X
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would say eat more and start exercising. But I wouldn't start with Cross Fit. Start with something for beginners and work up from there. Fitness improves quickly if you stick with it so there is no need to risk injury by starting with something over your head.
  • zumbagada
    zumbagada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Be SUPER careful! and ask you doctor. I have a friend who has been working out for years who tore her ACL and several other tendons doing crossfit this summer, and she's been mostly out of commission in terms of exercise for the last four months. It's really not a beginners' exercise at all.

And listen to all the calorie stuff the other folks have said.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would put your calories up to 1500-1800. I eat 1200-1250 and I'm only 5'1. Your not eating enough.
  • patrox247
    Options
    Thanks so much guys
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try it out once and see what happens. You won't kill yourself with one workout.

He might. For someone who's never exercised to suddenly do something this intense, he might have a heart attack and die, who knows.

Or more likely, injure himself.

I wouldn't risk it.

If you really want to do it, be sure to get the green light from your doctor first.