Strength training: where should I start?

Options
Hey all,

I've tried looking for a topic on this but didn't see anything that exactly answered my question, so thought I would ask!

I just joined a gym, and typically at the gym I do a lot of eliptical. But I know strength training helps build muscle and can help get the fat off faster :) But I don't know where to start! I'm thinking I would rather do the weight machines than free lifting. Does anyone have a routine to reccomend, or just general advice on where to start/what to work/etc.? Should I just pick some machines at random and start doing them?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    In my opinion free weights are much better as the motion is natural, when as on a machine you are forced into a certain position.
    Bodybuilding.com has tons of exercises and how to do them properly.

My routine is an upper/lower split I do 5 days on 2 days off I started with a weight I could only lift 6 times for 3 sets and moved up as it got easier. The results for me have been great!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you're a complete beginner, I would recommend getting on a program. Starting Strength or NROLFW are both really good beginners programs.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you're a complete beginner, I would recommend getting on a program. Starting Strength or NROLFW are both really good beginners programs.

I would do SS or Stronglifts 5x5. I don't think NROLFW is as good.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

I would do SS or Stronglifts 5x5. I don't think NROLFW is as good.
    I just started stronglifts after a stint on the machines.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would recommend signing up for a free personal training session 1st. This way you can be taught the proper moves and gain some pointers before attempting on your own.
    They may even be willing to write you a quick workout routine that you can follow for a few weeks. After that, research the web and get you a few health mags.

good luck!!! :)
  • jny1179
    jny1179 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just decided to do Jamie Eason's LiveFit program. I'm pretty excited about it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-1-day-1.html
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If your gym has personal trainers, sign up for a few sessions or take some strength training classes. I agree with the other posters that free weights are best but not necessarily for beginners. I started with the machines and classes and then worked my way up to the free weight area. It's very important that you learn the correct form and what exercises to do and the trainers and classes can help you do that.

I was always afraid of the free weight area because it was mostly men. Now I have no problem getting right in there with the guys.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If you want a simple way to start have someone at the gym show you the circuit weight training area. Usually a gym will have set up and sometimes even numbered a set of machines that are for circuit training. Its usually around 7 or 10 machines and it will work upper and body and rotate. I do like doing free weights but if I am in a hurry and don't want to put much thought I will jump on the circuit training machines and do each one 3 times around. If you haven't done them before though you will want an employee of the gym to show you how to use each one to make sure you are using it correctly. After you do them a couple times and feel comfortable you can up your weight so you are getting more of a free weight workout. My gym called it the "10 10 progam" 10 machines done 10 times 3 times around. They are number 1 through 10 so I just follow the numbers and go.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I've tried looking for a topic on this but didn't see anything that exactly answered my question, so thought I would ask!

I just joined a gym, and typically at the gym I do a lot of eliptical. But I know strength training helps build muscle and can help get the fat off faster :) But I don't know where to start! I'm thinking I would rather do the weight machines than free lifting. Does anyone have a routine to reccomend, or just general advice on where to start/what to work/etc.? Should I just pick some machines at random and start doing them?

does your gym have any sort of beginners class or offer an introductory personal training session for new members? That would be the best place to start.

When I started at the local Y, I asked the trainer to show me how to use a few machines. After like 7 months I finally took the free "fitstart" class and learned to use the next level of machines...

A month or 6 weeks ago I wanted to start squatting, so I asked the trainer if he had a few minutes to help me decide how much weight to use, and to watch my form to make sure I didn't hurt myself. He was happy to help. A week or so before that, I saw a lady on the "big boy" leg press, and I told her I hoped to be able to do it *one day* and she offered to show me how! I shocked myself by being able to do a LOT more than I thought I could--I started with the empty bar (118#) and was able to do 208# the next time!!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Well, I'm pretty new to lifting too!... But anyways, When i first started i used the machines and i slowly observed what other people did and kind of just copied them and yeah. However, free weights is the way to go! Also, you really shouldnt focus on exersizes that isolate certain muscles, you want to engage your whole body.

I ordered a book off amazon called "the new rules of lifting for women" I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING THIS! It has toooons of good information about weight loss and its over all just really helpful, exspecially for beginners! It also comes with a workout program and everything...
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have a circuit area. This would be a good place to start. Otherwise, I agree get the free training session and they will show you how to use machines. There are great workout videos out there that will show you different excersizes you can do at the gym etc.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    hey. my experience with gyms is that most gyms offer a free personal training session to set up a program :) all you have to do is ask! At the very least get someone at the gym to show you how to use the equipment properly so gain best results and minimise risk of injury!
    best of luck :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a six month program at my gym where i work with a personal trainer once a month to develop my program as I get stronger. I figured it would take a while to really see a lot of results and having the personal trainer to check in with really helps. I mostly use free weights along with rigorous calisthetics. So far I have seen changes in the way my jeans fit - I've gone from the first hole in my belt to the third.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Bump for use at home!