8 hours sleep and still tired.... why?

Sigh, I deliberately got 8 hours sleep last night and the night before and Im still waking up tired. I don't have any sleeping problems like snoring or what-not. I think the fact I'm in the last two weeks of uni is making me more tired. Plus, I stayed up really late on Saturday night.

I just want to wake up feeling refreshed...

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Exercise regularly! It's very important for sleep. I used to have pretty bad insomnia but getting regular exercise (not just exercising for one day and still feeling tired the next day, gotta do it regularly) changed it all. I went off sleeping pills and feel so much better. I'm not sure why it works. Maybe physically tiring yourself out makes your sleep more restful. Give it a whirl. It's worth not feeling tired all the time right?
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    None of us get enough sleep. If there were no artificial light, we would go to bed with the moon and get up with the sun. The lure of electric lights keeps us up well past sundown and our daily commute on the hamster wheel of life has us up with the sun anyway. If you really want to get enough sleep, try sleeping as nature designed - sundown is bedtime; sunrise is time to get up. Now there's a challenge!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • None of us get enough sleep. If there were no artificial light, we would go to bed with the moon and get up with the sun. The lure of electric lights keeps us up well past sundown and our daily commute on the hamster wheel of life has us up with the sun anyway. If you really want to get enough sleep, try sleeping as nature designed - sundown is bedtime; sunrise is time to get up. Now there's a challenge!

Hahaha sleep at 5 PM and wake up at 6 AM :happy:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    None of us get enough sleep. If there were no artificial light, we would go to bed with the moon and get up with the sun. The lure of electric lights keeps us up well past sundown and our daily commute on the hamster wheel of life has us up with the sun anyway. If you really want to get enough sleep, try sleeping as nature designed - sundown is bedtime; sunrise is time to get up. Now there's a challenge!

That's what people did before electricity! Insomnia [which is being overtired] wasn't really a common occurrence, like it is in our society nowadays. I've tried to do this in summer. Even then, it's really hard to do. In winter, it's a lot easier. Not that I do it consistently...I DO have a life.

• littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    @theBrown and Hollycat: lmao, that would be a challenge. It also wont be possible for the next two weeks while I finish up my uni degree.

@alpine: I am exercising every morning except on sundays. This may also be a factor in me being tired, as my body is out of rhythm having to wake up early to go to the gym/group classes. Hence why I went to bed early the last two days, I am trying to get it into the routine...
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Not gonna work when sunset is 4:30 p.m. and sunrise is 8:00 a.m. It's almost right in the summer when sunrise is 5:30 a.m. and sunset is 10:00 p.m.

Any time you change your routine, expect for it to take a while for your body to adjust. Also, sometimes our body is busy fighting a virus or something like that and we don't even know it. Or you could be stressed about something. Sometimes you just don't know!
  • @theBrown and Hollycat: lmao, that would be a challenge. It also wont be possible for the next two weeks while I finish up my uni degree.

@alpine: I am exercising every morning except on sundays. This may also be a factor in me being tired, as my body is out of rhythm having to wake up early to go to the gym/group classes. Hence why I went to bed early the last two days, I am trying to get it into the routine...

Try this site: http://sleepyti.me/

Just put what time you have to wake up and it'll list the best times to go to sleep
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Not everyone needs *exactly* 8 hours- some need more, some need less. Also, having a consistent sleep schedule (going to sleep and rising at the same times, even on weekends) can help a lot.

If it doesn't sort itself out, you might think of seeing a doctor- it could be something simple like an iron (or vitamin) deficiency.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Awesome, thanks guys. I will keep sticking with it for now, and see how I go after I finish my degree too. It may well be stress from that which just makes me want to sleep.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    If you're not getting enough sleep on a regular basis, one night of getting enough isn't going to make much of a difference
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this- but when I don't eat simple carbs (i.e bread, sugar, potatos, ect.) for dinner or in the evening, I wake up feeling well rested and energized the next day. I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this that probably has to do with blood sugars or something...

Worth a shot-
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member

That's what people did before electricity! Insomnia [which is being overtired] wasn't really a common occurrence, like it is in our society nowadays. I've tried to do this in summer. Even then, it's really hard to do. In winter, it's a lot easier. Not that I do it consistently...I DO have a life.

Not according to any history books or old journals I've read

people frequently woke in the middle of the night in the dark and did things
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member

People were also able to go to bed this early during "olden times" because of the intense physical labor they did every day. Men were out working, women worked all day long in the kitchen, back in the days where mom WAS the washing machine... you get my picture. People worked their bodies much harder back then.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    I was wondering why getting 8 hours of sleep wasn't cutting it for me until I took a pregnancy test. :laugh: Now, I wonder no more!

When there was vacancy in my uterus, I'd feel awesome after 7 hours of sleep.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Also, have you had a sleep study? As a nurse, whenever people tell me they get enough hours of sleep but still feel tired, little alarm bells go off screaming, "SLEEP APNEA! SLEEP APNEA!"
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Perhaps you are not eating properly. What is your diet like?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    It could be many things. One thing I have noticed is for as active as you say you are, you don't seem to eat a lot of calories. Most active women I work with are eating closer to 1800 calories daily. And considering you don't have much to lose, you can't have a large deficit. If you want, post your height, weight and workout routine and I can run the numbers.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Eat more. Calculate your BMR, and NET that many calories (ie eat back your exercise calories at least up until that point, if your BMR is 1300, and exercise burns 400 calories, eat 1700). Try that for a few weeks and see if it helps. Too many people on here ignore the signs of undereating.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this- but when I don't eat simple carbs (i.e bread, sugar, potatoes, ect.) for dinner or in the evening, I wake up feeling well rested and energized the next day. I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this that probably has to do with blood sugars or something...

Worth a shot-

This seems to work for me too.

Too much exercise can make it hard to sleep, and also eating processed foods that might have a "hangover."

Getting in good aerobic exercise like running, biking or something similar, seems to really work for me in addition to not eating junk.