Adding calories after putting in workout

Options
Why are calories added to my day after I record my workout and how many calories burned? For example, today I burned 400 calories, once recorded it added 400 more calories for my day. To me, it seems like it defeats the purpose of losing weight. Can someone give me educated reasoning for this?

Replies

• fit30s
    fit30s Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have made a good estimate of what you burn by normal activity (without exercise), MyFitnessPal tries to get you eating less than that, so theoretically, you could lose weight without exercising. So, if you burn calories, and then eat them back, that deficit still exists.
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    It's to maintain a reasonable (rather than extreme) deficit for weight loss. If you do more, you can eat more.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Your goal already has a deficit built into it. If you burn a lot without eating at least some of it back you are not going to be eating enough to fuel your body.
  • jordanelizabetht
    Options
    But as long as I am working out, I should still be losing the weight, correct?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat them.

If I go to another site and calculate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), including my normal daily activity and weekly exercise, I'm told to eat 2300 calories to maintain my current weight. If I wanted to lose one pound a week, I'd take 500 calories off that amount, and eat 1800 calories a day.

MFP doesn't count the exercise you say you'll do into your calorie goal unless and until you do it. To lose one pound a week, MFP would suggest I eat about 1350 calories a day based on my normal daily activity, and once I add my exercise, I would be right back around that 1800 mark.

It's just a different way of getting the same deficit. Some find that "earning" more calories through exercise is more motivating. Some switch to eat a percentage below their TDEE and eat the same amount every day regardless of the amount of exercise.
  • jordanelizabetht
    Options
    Ok, it's slowly making more sense. I just want to lose weight and eating back the calories just didnt make sense but it's starting to. I did however set my goal myself at 1400 a day. MFP recommended 1200 a day but I'm way too hungry.