Female Calves... don't like mine

Options
I seem to have the sort of legs that build muscle fairly easily with exercise, and although I know that yes, there are far worse things to be worried about, and that many females want muscular calves, I don't like them. Muscle is great, to a degree, but for me personally, there are limits.

I generally do interval training on the stationary bike, outdoor cycling, interval training on the elliptical and some upper body work.
I do not know which of these is likely to be contributing to my increased calf size.

I want to retain leanness, and to keep my metabolism running smoothly, and yes, be fit, but surely there must be some way to do this without ending up with 13.5 inch calves ? :/

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Mine are about the same size and to decrease muscle is through a calorie deficit. cardio helps lean them out. i wouldn't call 13.5" calfs big honestly, maybe its their shape you dislike?

edited to add, its been my experience to avoid exercises with inclines and steady paced jogging/walking for 30 mins +
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    are 13.5" calves actually big? i finally got around to measuring my calves which i consider tiny and they are 12.5". too small for most high boots. i think i would be happier with 13.5". that sounds perfect to me.

i was actually surprised mine were 12.5". i assumed they would be smaller.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    <--- mine is 13.5" & I'm 5'2 but honestly I still find it too small.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with calves?

equalizer_calf.jpg
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'd say the running and stationary bikes (mostly the running) will contribute to it. I'd say if you need/want the cardio, try finding other ways of doing it. My trainer hates running so her calves are actually quite tiny. I think she does a lot of dance and kickboxing for her cardio.

As a side note, I consider 13"calves to be TINY :P

<---15" calves here
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    If you have body fat to lose, you'll probably lose some of it from your calves, which would shrink them. Otherwise, if you use those muscles, they will retain their muscle mass. Loss of body fat will add definition to your calves (again, while making their overall size smaller).

The real answer is...you can't change your body type. If you're someone with shapely legs (thighs and calves), you'll always have some "size" to them. It's the way you're built. But, losing body fat will drop the size some, if there's fat from your calves to lose. I lost at least an inch from my calves as my weight dropped. I also lost 10 inches from my thighs. It's one of the last areas I lose fat from, but it did happen.

And for comparison, I have 16" calves. No one would call my calves "huge". They are proportionate. I'm sure yours are, too. :flowerforyou:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have an 18" calf...:grumble:
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have 15 inch calves, and I really like my calves. I can see gorgeous muscle definition. I love my legs below my inner thigh!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Mine are 14.5" and too big to wear cute boots :( in general, to lose muscle, you need a caloric deficit and a lack of sufficient stimulus to retain muscle. So you would need to decrease the things that currently work your calves. To lose fat in the calf area, you would just need to lose overall fat and wait for it to come off there. Ultimately, I care more about being fit and active and doing the types of activities I love than wearing high boots... So I keep mine :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    13" calves arent big, least I dont think so. Mine are 11 3/4in , TINY! And I honestly don't like them. They look fragile & disproportionate to my thighs. Boots never fit me.There is enough room for my forearm in boots when I wear them. It's all ab genetics. If ur gonna have muscular calves, u will have them. If they're gonna b small, then they will be. I don't really think you can fight it.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! my calves are so big and muscular, that I never fit into any knee high boots, I have to get the ones you pull on, not zip up. I stay away from any calf building strength exercises. But..I noticed that when I lose weight they shrink. When the trainer told me that there is fat over the muscle, I was shocked. I thought it was just them being muscular. However, even when I was thinner they were still bigger, that's just my build. So I feel ya! cardio should shrink them.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Mine are 14.5" and too big to wear cute boots :( in general, to lose muscle, you need a caloric deficit and a lack of sufficient stimulus to retain muscle. So you would need to decrease the things that currently work your calves. To lose fat in the calf area, you would just need to lose overall fat and wait for it to come off there. Ultimately, I care more about being fit and active and doing the types of activities I love than wearing high boots... So I keep mine :)

That's weird, I have bigger calves than you and I have several pairs of tall boots and have never had issue fitting tall boots (other than actual horse riding tall boots, but that's different). I can even tuck in my pants and they aren't super skinny thin jeans either.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I would not consider 13.5 inch calves to be huge at all. That's actually about average.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, and for being decent and understanding.
    I feel a little better now. My calves tend to sort of stick out quite a lot at the back, basically. My thighs measure 19 inches, so not sure if I am disproportionate or not. I do know that I struggle to get uk size 6 skinny jeans over my calves and knees, however, which is one thing that has made me self conscious of them.

Not sure I have much body fat to lose, I have about somewhere between 16 and 19%, 5'10 and 126Ibs usually(a little over that right now). I suppose I might try more walking and milder forms of cardio, I do tend to have the resistance set quite high on the machines, as I tend to like to get in a good calorie burn and it helps lift my often flagging energy,

Glad to know I am not the only female with larger calves. Sometimes I can ignore it, other things I look at them and it really bugs me. My upper half is much smaller than my lower.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well. At least it's not a thigh gap thread.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I would not consider 13.5 inch calves to be huge at all. That's actually about average.

I think I probably got into comparing to the females I see around who seem to have little muscle at all on their legs, aka, models and those who obviously are genetically predisoposed to having smaller legs. :/
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Well. At least it's not a thigh gap thread.

No interest in thigh gaps at all, although I do have one due to my bone structure, lol.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    lol.. my calves are that big, and I LOVE them.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just learn to love them. Calves are made of some of the most dense, strong muscle in the body. If you have them, you have them. Trade out the high boots for some sexy heels and the guys will swoon.

Take up snowboarding, and you'll be able to cut and stop on a dime, while your lesser-calved friends wipe out. :flowerforyou:
  • joconnor09
    Options
    I hate my calves... 17 inches! And the muscles have developed really unusually due to the way I walk (high arches, so my weight is on the outside of my leg instead of inside where most people's is). It's the worst. My calves never fit into any boots, even the wide calf ones, so I've never been able to buy a pair. That would be one of my ultimate NSVs, fitting into a pair of boots.