calories when lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Check out the "In Place of a Road Map" group. One of those guys has a spreadsheet that really helped me know my calorie requirements better.

It is still just an estimate, but it was very helpful.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm getting conflicting advice here....hmmm...

Thanks everyone :)

LorinaLynn is legit listen to her

^^^ This

If you are serious about lifting and you are already at a healthy weight, then you should not be eating at a deficit while lifting.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on this stuff, but from my understanding, its difficult to combine strength training and excessive amounts of cardio. I might get reamed for this or you might hate the idea entirely, but I would suggest running less often. Maybe only run twice a week on non-workout days.

I hardly think that ~6/week could be considered excessive. It actually sounds like a pretty good blend to me.

6 miles? 4 times a week? Running?

Did you read the post. Her TDEE on those days has to be like 3000+ calories. Deep deficits require a use of fat stores and protein stores... protein stores are muscle. It's counter-productive if you are lifting.

Maybe not 3000. For a 45 minute (approx. 4 1/2 mile) run, I burn about 400 cals . I'm probably older and shorter so my numbers may be lower, but there is no way that will take your TDEE to 3000, unless you have a fairly active non-exercise day. Be careful! You don't want to starve your muscles, but don't over estimate either!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on this stuff, but from my understanding, its difficult to combine strength training and excessive amounts of cardio. I might get reamed for this or you might hate the idea entirely, but I would suggest running less often. Maybe only run twice a week on non-workout days.

I hardly think that ~6/week could be considered excessive. It actually sounds like a pretty good blend to me.

Did you read the post. Her TDEE on those days has to be like 3000+ calories. Deep deficits require a use of fat stores and protein stores... protein stores are muscle. It's counter-productive if you are lifting.

Maybe not 3000. For a 45 minute (approx. 4 1/2 mile) run, I burn about 400 cals . I'm probably older and shorter so my numbers may be lower, but there is no way that will take your TDEE to 3000, unless you have a fairly active non-exercise day. Be careful! You don't want to starve your muscles, but don't over estimate either!

Well I'm much taller and larger than the OP so I'm making some big assumptions about her calorie burns, but everything I have read about gaining muscle recommended moderate cardio to avoid over-training. I don't consider running 6 miles/4 times a week to be moderate cardio.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    how many calories should i be EATING?
    i've been at 1900-that's with lifting and running about 6 miles 4 times a week.
    i'm just interested in losing fat (not really weight).
    5'6
    130-135 ish
    workout at least 5 days a week

any advice?

Hey dude we have matching toilet pictures ahh!
    omg your bathroom and her bathroom should totally hook up!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Isecond the notion to check out "In place of a roadmap" and play with this website for caloric needs based on goals (you don't have to do the split- it gives you the info you're looking for regardless)

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Lower cals to 1700 and give it a few weeks. If that doesn't work, lower them to 1500.
    Excuse me for being blunt, but are you nuts?? Running six miles four times a week and lifting - with very little to lose???
    To the OP - Eat around 2000-2300 and see how that works for a few weeks.....
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I may have misunderstood her post. I read it as a total of six miles / week. Not 6 miles 4 times a week. In the latter case, yes, that might would likely be detrimental to muscle gains unless she ate more.

Everything I've read indicates that any workout that goes beyond 60 minutes starts to show diminishing returns, so it would be best to focus on the lifting and keep the cardio minimal.
  • brookebelcher
    brookebelcher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone!
    I think I may bump them up to 2100 and see if I gain then *kitten* from there.
  • nalexxx
    nalexxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    find your Total Daily Energy Expenditure here http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    and add 500-1000 calories to it
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Fill out your stats on Simple Setup tab.

But then go to TDEE tab, TDEE Calcutalor 2 if you have a HRM and know your running burn calories.

For estimating the lifting calories, use what MFP tells you, it seems low but it is actually really close.

Use Lightly Active non-exercise maintenance, even if you have a desk job. Majority with FitBit's or BodyMedia's find they are Lightly Active even with desk job on non-exercise days.

Once all added up, there's a TDEE estimate that should be mighty close, better than other rough guides.

One suggestion, if you have 1 long run day over 1 hr, only count 1 hr in the TDEE calculator. The day you do it, eat back the extra hour or whatever it ends up being of calorie burn.

In the case of a long cardio workout, eating extra all the other days of a week don't really help that one longer workout.

You can also tweak your workouts to get most bang from your lifting, and still focus on the running goal for the half. Let me know. Some intervals on the right days compared to lifting, the right lifting, ect.

This will give you a very balanced eating every day, except for the long run day when you really need to make up carbs used before your next workout.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm getting conflicting advice here....hmmm...

Thanks everyone :)
    \\

On an MFP message board?????????? This shocks me.
  • brookebelcher
    brookebelcher Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Fill out your stats on Simple Setup tab.

But then go to TDEE tab, TDEE Calcutalor 2 if you have a HRM and know your running burn calories.

For estimating the lifting calories, use what MFP tells you, it seems low but it is actually really close.

Use Lightly Active non-exercise maintenance, even if you have a desk job. Majority with FitBit's or BodyMedia's find they are Lightly Active even with desk job on non-exercise days.

Once all added up, there's a TDEE estimate that should be mighty close, better than other rough guides.

One suggestion, if you have 1 long run day over 1 hr, only count 1 hr in the TDEE calculator. The day you do it, eat back the extra hour or whatever it ends up being of calorie burn.

In the case of a long cardio workout, eating extra all the other days of a week don't really help that one longer workout.

You can also tweak your workouts to get most bang from your lifting, and still focus on the running goal for the half. Let me know. Some intervals on the right days compared to lifting, the right lifting, ect.

This will give you a very balanced eating every day, except for the long run day when you really need to make up carbs used before your next workout.

Thank you for taking the time to show me that- I will definitely check it out!
  • lornews
    Options
    Lower cals to 1700 and give it a few weeks. If that doesn't work, lower them to 1500.

This is the correct answer. You said you're interested in losing fat and if that's not happening, you need to either reduce calories or increase calories burned.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

This is the correct answer. You said you're interested in losing fat and if that's not happening, you need to either reduce calories or increase calories burned.

That's not how it works. Fat loss works best with a smaller deficit, not a larger one.