Has anyone tried the cayenne pepper lemonade cleanse?

Options
I'm thinking of trying it. Success / horror stories? I plan on doing it for ten days (the shortest time they recommend).

17076326.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sounds horrid. Why do it?
  • lynnypenny1982
    Options
    I had a friend try it after she read these celebrities doing it. One of her doctors told her to NOT do it. You are basically starving yourself, giving yourself no nutrients, and your body gets no benefits from it (other than losing a little weight).

A good way to give yourself a good (healthy) cleanse is to eat more veggies and/or fruits. Make some yummy smoothies.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There's no need to torture your body to lose weight and get healthy. Cleanses/detoxes are a scam - the only thing they "cleanse" is your wallet. Unless you have some kind of disease which impairs the function of your lungs, liver and/or kidneys, your body is perfectly capable of cleansing/detoxing itself naturally.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There's no need to torture your body to lose weight and get healthy. Cleanses/detoxes are a scam - the only thing they "cleanse" is your wallet. Unless you have some kind of disease which impairs the function of your lungs, liver and/or kidneys, your body is perfectly capable of cleansing/detoxing itself naturally.

^this

ETA: There are a bunch of threads on here about it - and pretty much the consensus is...don't. Here is one of them. You can search (also search Master Cleanse)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/708578-anyone-tried-the-lemonade-diet-cleanse?hl=lemonade+cleanse
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No. That sounds absolutely foul and dangerous. What's up with everyone doing all the bizarre scams on here this week?
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I know a girl who did it. She told me she would even take a bottle of it to a bar and get the bartender to serve it up in a martini glass. Sounded completely disgusting, and I wonder what consuming pure spice and acid does to your insides.

She definitely lost a lot of weight. And then put it all back on again.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

^this
    ^^another +1
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine indeed tried it. He's one of those folks that will do what he sets his mind to and even he was miserable the entire time. I was miserable just watching him.

I highly discourage people from it. He put back all of that weight btw after the "cleanse" was over. He's now a much happier and healthier man eating right and working out and have lost tons of weight!
  • soldierbot
    soldierbot Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did the master cleanse 4 1/2 years ago. The weight I dropped came back eventually and last month I was right back where I started. Here is my post from the MC forum back in 08.

"Today is the end of my 40 day fast and I am sipping on my first glass of fresh orange juice. I have not posted a journal but I thought I would chime in with my results for those thinking of longer fasts.

I am a 48 year old guy who managed to pack on some extra pounds after quitting smoking last year. I started fasting at 248lbs and I am now 204 as of this morning. My plan is to eat clean and sensibly for the next few months to drop a few lbs per week until I reached my ideal...around 185.

The first 10 days of this fast were the hardest. There were a few days when I took some Tylenol to ease the pain in my lower back and legs...so I could actually sleep. After I got over the detox symptoms it was not that hard to keep going with the routine because I felt so wonderful and was enjoying the results.

Physically,I feel great...sinus problems have disappeared, skin is vibrant and clear, blood pressure 110/70 with a resting PR of 60, and my vision actually seems improved.

Mentally I am thinking much clearer and have more focus and drive. My mood has been well balanced and I tend to be slower to frustration or anger...keeping in mind I live in LA (think traffic). :)

Did I follow the MC directions exactly as described? Honestly, during the first 2 weeks I only managed to down the SWF about 6 times and after that it was once a week...if that. I did drink the teas as needed to ensure proper elimination. I only used half the recommend amount of maple syrup in my lemonade and, some days, I only managed to drink 4 glasses instead of the suggested minimum. Also, occasionally I would have some sugar free gum but two words of warning...laxative effect. The sorbitol/malitol in the gum can really hit you when not eating.

I am glad I went the distance and if anyone has any question or comments...feel free to ask."

In retrospect, I would not recommend the fast. I am dropping the weight now with proper nutrition and learning to eat sensibly.
  • Katrina8Smithee
    Options
    I had to stop on the third day because it gave me such awful headaches and I felt lightheaded all day. It was nasty and didn't give me enough calories or nutrients to function well. I do not recommend it!
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I did. It's like having a stomach virus and you'll gain it all back.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Yes.

For those who did not research it, it does NOT go up your butt like the coffee enema.....you have been warned....

In all seriousness though it will not have any long-term effects and will make your stomach all weird and your teeth hurt.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke?

Calm down tiger. Not everyone is an expert and no need to try and mock folks who're still new at this
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I tried the Master Cleanse. Did it for 8 days. Something happened to my body afterwards. I put on a massive amount of weight after I finished this "cleanse". right after I finished doing it, I'd lost about 6 pounds but at a huge cost. Also, I was obsessing about solid food ALL THE TIME. I was even dreaming about food at night! My tongue went bald, I blew a whole months grocery money on the Grade B maple syrup which is expensive as hell, I had severe hand pain because of the constant lemon juicing (I didn't have a juicer), I was close to blacking out all the time and I was peeing every half an hour. Don't do it. Waste of money and waste of time and ultimately no effect. This was 3 yrs back. My first and only cleanse. Since then, I haven't done any cleanses of any sort because I believe my body can cleanse itself just fine.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have done it. I did the cleanse for 9 days when I first began my weight loss. I thought it would be a good way to jump-start my weight loss and detox/cleanse my system at the same time. I personally had a lot of success with it. The first few days were hard and you get a little tired of the lemonade. (although it tasted good) After the first few days I had a lot of energy, felt good, and my skin was so soft. I even continued to workout on the cleanse. I lost a total of 13 pounds and I kept it off because I continued after it was done by staying with a healthy diet and exercising. I don't know why people have to hate on cleansing. It's a great tool to jump-start weight loss, break a plateau, or to just get all the crap out of your body. I say go for it. :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have done it. I did the cleanse for 9 days when I first began my weight loss. I thought it would be a good way to jump-start my weight loss and detox/cleanse my system at the same time. I personally had a lot of success with it. The first few days were hard and you get a little tired of the lemonade. (although it tasted good) After the first few days I had a lot of energy, felt good, and my skin was so soft. I even continued to workout on the cleanse. I lost a total of 13 pounds and I kept it off because I continued after it was done by staying with a healthy diet and exercising. I don't know why people have to hate on cleansing. It's a great tool to jump-start weight loss, break a plateau, or to just get all the crap out of your body. I say go for it. :drinker:
    In all seriousness, what crap, toxins, whatever, other than feces, does it actually remove from your body? Like, specifically what type of toxins or crap are you talking about?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    In all seriousness, what crap, toxins, whatever, other than feces, does it actually remove from your body? Like, specifically what type of toxins or crap are you talking about?

I would like to know also.

Plus, eating 500 cals a day can also 'break a plateau' or jump start a diet (whatever that means). It does not mean it is a good idea,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You do realize that most people lose a lot of weight at the beginning of a diet don't you? Its mainly water weight plus less food in your body - happens without a 'cleans' - just a calorie deficit.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Read The Master Cleanse book...it's all in there. I don't recommend it as the only means for weight loss, it's just a tool. I lost the other 90 pounds by counting calories, healthy eating and exercising every. single. day. I was just expressing to the OP that it worked for me, everyone else was negative. My opinion, and I'm entitled.:wink: