If you had no equipment and £100 to spend...

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, if you had £100 to spend and no equipment at all what would you buy. It's needs to give me a good overall workout and something I would use often at home. What's your reccomdations? I know it's not a lot of money but its all Santa has in the budget for me

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Some dumbells, workout DVDS, stability ball, jumping rope etc. Assuming you have good shoes...

Good Luck!!!
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Confidence 2 in 1 Elliptical Cross Trainer
    & Bike
    £79.99
    2 used & new from £79.99
    Order in the next 3 hours and get it by
    Wednesday, Nov 21.
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery.
    ^^^THIS from Amazon.com ! You could spend the other £20 on dumbells! The 30 Day Shred dvd is only £5! ;)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    A pull-up bar definitely. A starter weight kettlebell and one a bit heavier for when you get stronger and a copy of "You are your own gym" - packed full of bodyweight exercises.

This will raise a laugh and some eyebrows among the "heavy lifters" on the forum but that's what I opted for and I am LOVING it!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    A pull-up bar definitely. A starter weight kettlebell and one a bit heavier for when you get stronger and a copy of "You are your own gym" - packed full of bodyweight exercises.

This will raise a laugh and some eyebrows among the "heavy lifters" on the forum but that's what I opted for and I am LOVING it!

I agree with Carl...basic bodyweight exercises to begin with, then build up with kettlebells and a pull up bar for motivation...for cardio, you just need to walk fast or get out there and run (or do some circuits with kettlebells, sit ups, burpees, etc) no fancy indoor bikes and those things that take up loads of space...your own body is all you need at the beginning...you could probably pocket some of that £100 too!

p.s. there are loads of good videos for at home work outs for free on the web (youtube)
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve? Lose weight? Gain muscle? Endurance?

Completely depends on what your goals are as to what would be the most beneficial.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well 100 euro could pay for a year at a gym here where you have unlimited equipment at planet fitness 24hrs a day or if working at home is required I would suggest a nice set of resistance bands and p90x fitness dvds.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Bench, barbell and plates. Outside is my 'treadmill."
  • donna_do_good
    Options

Completely depends on what your goals are as to what would be the most beneficial.

I really want to get fit and sculpt my body a bit. I feel skinny fat as is said so often on here
  • donna_do_good
    Options

I have heard some good things about that book. Thanks. I prefer cardio but see on here so often the benefits of lifting so am going to try and go down that route I think
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    Well 100 euro could pay for a year at a gym here where you have unlimited equipment at planet fitness 24hrs a day or if working at home is required I would suggest a nice set of resistance bands and p90x fitness dvds.

It's £35 min per month for any gym in my town min, it's to expensive and quite awkward to get to them at the min for me
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, if you had £100 to spend and no equipment at all what would you buy. It's needs to give me a good overall workout and something I would use often at home. What's your reccomdations? I know it's not a lot of money but its all Santa has in the budget for me

Dumbbells
    kettlebell
    workout DVD's
    Jump Rope
    Resistance bands
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    Confidence 2 in 1 Elliptical Cross Trainer
    & Bike
    £79.99
    2 used & new from £79.99
    Order in the next 3 hours and get it by
    Wednesday, Nov 21.
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery.
    ^^^THIS from Amazon.com ! You could spend the other £20 on dumbells! The 30 Day Shred dvd is only £5! ;)

Funny I was looking at that, people on here but are always saying about the body improvements though weights but so I don't know wether to follow that advice
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I really want to get fit and sculpt my body a bit. I feel skinny fat as is said so often on here

Someone mentioned a bench, barbell etc which would be really good - or even dumbbells. There are some great all body training plans online that you can follow. Someone recently bought a bench for under £100 though and it was very poor quality so avoid the cheaper ones at sports direct if it is something you look in to buying.

I've always been skinny fat and am seeing my best results from using weights - I still do cardio (running) and some classes at the gym though which use body weight exercises.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd buy some nice workout clothes and do a lot of reading on body weight exercises (or watching the videos of them on YouTube)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'd get kettlebells..they are great, you have utube to find your workout on. And some hand weights but good ones, none of the silly davina ones as you'd be building up but kettlebell would be my first choice :smile:
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    I'd get kettlebells..they are great, you have utube to find your workout on. And some hand weights but good ones, none of the silly davina ones as you'd be building up but kettlebell would be my first choice :smile:

I'm getting kettlebells Sarah. Was thinking of getting a machine mentioned like the one above to do while the soaps were on lol but I don't know
  • donna_do_good
    Options

Someone mentioned a bench, barbell etc which would be really good - or even dumbbells. There are some great all body training plans online that you can follow. Someone recently bought a bench for under £100 though and it was very poor quality so avoid the cheaper ones at sports direct if it is something you look in to buying.

I've always been skinny fat and am seeing my best results from using weights - I still do cardio (running) and some classes at the gym though which use body weight exercises.

Thanks so much, I see people saying a lot they have had the best results from weights....hmmmmm
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    +1 Pull-up bar and 2 x kettlebells.......

add in a skipping rope and various body weight exercises and you can have a varied and killer workout everyday.

Want a really killer/simple workout? Go to the bottom of a steep hill with a decent weight kettlebell, do 10-20 swings (depends on weight you can swing) drop the kettlebell and sprint the hill then walk back down. Rest 30 seconds then repeat (see how many times you can). That comes from Dan John's excellent "Never let go" so give him the credit when your lungs are in a bucket! It's amazing what you can achieve with limited equipment and this is a great example that most people wouldn't think of with just two simple exercises. He has other great ideas involving carrying large rocks, making slosh pipe from pvc tubing, etc
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    +1 Pull-up bar and 2 x kettlebells.......

add in a skipping rope and various body weight exercises and you can have a varied and killer workout everyday.

Want a really killer/simple workout? Go to the bottom of a steep hill with a decent weight kettlebell, do 10-20 swings (depends on weight you can swing) drop the kettlebell and sprint the hill then walk back down. Rest 30 seconds then repeat (see how many times you can). That comes from Dan John's excellent "Never let go" so give him the credit when your lungs are in a bucket! It's amazing what you can achieve with limited equipment and this is a great example that most people wouldn't think of with just two simple exercises. He has other great ideas involving carrying large rocks, making slosh pipe from pvc tubing, etc

That sounds great!! I'm gonna give that a try!
  • Fozzi43
    Options

I'm getting kettlebells Sarah. Was thinking of getting a machine mentioned like the one above to do while the soaps were on lol but I don't know

Good girl..you know it makes sense but seriously I've seen better results faster doing kettlebell than anything else I've done