Giving up the smokes...

Options
Trying... once again!

22 years of heavy-ish smoking, with a few failed attempts to quit in between, that never lasts more than a day.

I got one of them E Cigs, which i have started using today. What i notice, is that for me, the 'draw' of the smoke is a key point to the feeling of smoking, and this is missing from the ecigs (im using a gamucci).

However, today, i will try to mimic my usual smoking habits and see how it goes...

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck.

I haven't really looked into the e cigs and the like, I guess it is basically a nicotine delivery system with the chemicals and carcinogens from regular smokes?

Is your goal to eventually get off them too?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this this morning!

I did the e-cig for four months and found while it was not the same, it at least satisfied nicotine cravings. I found that what I missed the most about smoking was the burn and the kinsthetic release of the smoke. I had to start with the highest nicotine mgs possible and found that, due to the lack of actual smoke, I went through the cartridges a little faster than I went through regular cigarettes. I went back to smoking after those four months, but have managed to cut down DRASTICALLY. (I was at three packs a day before. I'm at one now.)

I honestly believe the e-cig was a huge part of being able to cut down. A good deal of the damage from smoking is from what's released in the smoke, the filter, and the chemicals laced into tobacco. It's really a very positive step in reducing the health risks of smoking. (Plus, I have to admit, not smelling like cigarette smoke was REALLY nice!)

I've totally recommended it to all my friends and commend you for starting it! Keep us posted, please!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The Allen Carr Easy Way book worked for me, 20 year habit quit cold turkey.

You can't crave what you don't want, willpower not required.

Sorry to sound a bit evangelical but that book gave me my freedom back.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I quit a year and a half ago and feel SO much better!!
  • shannoniacovino
    shannoniacovino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    don't ever give up. i've heard it takes an average of 7 attempts before you quit. good for you to be trying.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you find you miss the 'smoke' too much try a Vapour-lite. They are bloody fantastic (although Im still having the odd sneaky real one) Hoping to switch over full time eventually.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 or 6 years ago. Cold turkey is the only way to go - sorry! www.whyquit.com is a good recource to learn about quiting smoking. It breaks down what the hell is going on inside your brain while you trying to quit. It helped me.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'z gonna get hypnotizeded.
  • emfischer90
    emfischer90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    DeadVim, me too - Allen Carr Easyway; finished the book and haven't smoked again. Didn't suffer a single withdrawal pang. It's been an utter pleasure to this day. Best $7.00 I ever spent; cost of a pack of smokes in MD.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options

Been there done that, best thing I ever did.
    Been clean for nearly 45 weeks now, Saved my self over 2,250 UK pounds.

If health benefits don't make you want to quit maybe use this as extra incentive:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/770883-my-success-results-of-quitting-smoking
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker for about 12 years. I went Chantix. Yes, it's expensive, but according to my doctor it has the highest success rate. The first week you're on it you can smoke. This gives the medicine time to train you that smoking is not beneficial. It basically blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain that gives you the "feel good" sensation. I would strongly recommend it if you don't have a history of depression. Do talk to your doctor since he'll be the best resource. I haven't had a cigarette in almost 4 years. Best of luck, I know it's difficult.
  • Tallblondechick
    Options
    I quit 5 or 6 years ago. Cold turkey is the only way to go - sorry! www.whyquit.com is a good recource to learn about quiting smoking. It breaks down what the hell is going on inside your brain while you trying to quit. It helped me.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

The best advice you can give anyone.......2 1/2 years smoke free......after a pack a day for 35 years........COLD TURKEY BABY!
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump this for later :)
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I had to get pregnant to be able to quit and succeed so sorry men, but I guess this advice isn't for you guys. Anyways, I didn't want to be smoking while pregnant but I did until about 5months into it. I didn't smoke a thing for 2 days and broke down and had a half smoke one day then did another 3 day stretch with nothing and took another fit and lit up to smoke a whole cigarette one night. That was my last smoke! Although I did kick the **** out of the garbage can in the bathroom one day to get through another craving I had. lol. I was hard BUT Im sooooo glad I was able to get through it! It's been over a year now smoke free. And I admit I did make a little slip one night of drinking last week - I had a puff of a smoke. It was gross!!!! And I know I really don't crave these things anymore! No way. Disgusting! One more important thing for me while quitting was constantly telling myself No No No! Don't do it! You will regret! It's so expensive, bad for your health, bad for the baby's health and so on and so on. I constantly had to remind myself of the bad things from cigarettes. Good luck to ALL who are trying to quit.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have an Ecig and I LOVE it! Haven't had a real smoke in over a year. You can do it! :)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5 days, 8 hours, and 54 minutes (but who's counting? :laugh:) into what feels like my 1,275th quit attempt.

I really want it to stick this time. I'm a runner as of last year and I know smoking is hurting my running. I'm terrified of getting COPD or some such thing. I don't feel like I can defy the odds forever if I choose to quit smoking.

There's a larger 'quitting smoking' group on here (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/755-quitting-smoking) and a smaller one that I started last week when I quit (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9686-committin-to-quittin). Feel free to join either or both for extra support.

Best of luck to you...trust me, I know how you're feeling.

P.S. I'm on the patch.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options

i need an update on this after it happens!
    ive used everything but the ecig. the way that worked best for me was cold turkey and competition! i quit for 4.5months and started again :( boooooo. best of luck to you, i think about quitting every...single...day, gugh.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used the generic walmart patches, two weeks on each of them. But regardless I really wanted to quit, I thought of my husband, my kids, and everyone I walk by and how I made them feel with my stench! I can't believe I kissed my kids goodnight with that mouth! I quit in January of this year and have not touched a smoke since. It is a looooonnnnnggg haul but if you want it you can have it! This is one thing that no one can take away from you, it is up to you and only you.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I used the Ecig to quit after hundreds of unsuccessful attempts. It took about 3 days for me to get over the withdraw from the other chemicals they put in cigs that are not in the ecig, after that, it was smooth sailing. I smoked it regularly for a couple of months, then I found that I was using it once per day, then a few times a week then one day I woke up and realized I had not hit it in 6 months.

I smoked for over 25 years.

The V GO one you can get on line is the one that is the most like real smoking.

Now I can smell it if someone is smoking in the car in front of me on the interstate. OMG I did not realize how badly that crap stinks.