Brine or dry rub?

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
This is my second year at preparing the Thanksgiving turkey. Last year, thanks to the advice of my MFP friends, I brined and it was fabulous!!! I've always wanted to try a dry rub, but don't know how to execute the technique.

Which do you prefer brine or dry rub?

I am curious. Can both be employed? yum.gif

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I've done both and both methods can be used on the same bird.

Brining can make the skin a little rubbery and hard to crisp, however. If you want a crispy skin be sure to pat the bird dry before popping in the oven. Then, pull the foil away for the last 45 minutes or so. Baste and/or brush on some kind of oil or butter based sauce.

This year I am going with the rub. Roasting with an onion, garlic and thyme inside the bird. Flavor only, not to consume. It always roasts up better when I have a Knob Creek on the Rocks nearby. Or, Maybe, Wild Turkey to celebrate the occasion.

Enjoy the holiday.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Thanks! That sounds fabulous!

I love to cook and only recently learned how much fun it is to cook the Thanksgiving turkey. There are so many techniques. I never knew! I want to try them all!

Have a great holiday yourself! :happy:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I prefer brine but as mentioned above, it affects the skin. Dry rub after brining sounds really cool.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Separate the skin from the meat in a large pocket, so to speak, and put all of the seasoning between the skin and the meat. You don't want to detatch the skin, just run you rhand under the skin far enough back to seperate it.

You can then use a little butter against the meat, and then add the rub/seasonings. I do an apple cider-based recipe. :)

When you are done with that, boil some water while you use toothpicks to "pin" the skin back in place (my husband says I'm pinning the pocket shut), and por boiling water over the skin. It will shrink back to a more normal size, and will seal the rub in place between the skin and meat.

You can fill the bird with whatever you want... when I go with the apple cider one, I fill with apples and onions.

Oh, and drinking champagne while cooking Thanksgiving Dinner/Lunch is essential to the baking process. :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    After listening to the MSL channel's Thanksgiving Hotline for much of the day yesterday, it seems that brining is most popular among most cooks. Tried it once, it did add moisture, but I thought it made the stuffing taste a bit too salty. If I did it again, I'd prob just stuff the bird with veggies for flavor and roast the stuffing separately. Great tip for a crispy skin: start the bird roasting at a VERY high temp(425-450) for about 20 minutes, then finish the cooking time at 325.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I usually brine it, but this year I'm doing a dry brine because I keep hearing how fabulous it is. I've done the technique on chickens before and they were the best I've ever made, so I figured I'd try it with a turkey. Here's the recipe I'm using:

http://www.food52.com/recipes/15069_russ_parsons_drybrined_turkey_aka_the_judy_bird
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    After listening to the MSL channel's Thanksgiving Hotline for much of the day yesterday, it seems that brining is most popular among most cooks. Tried it once, it did add moisture, but I thought it made the stuffing taste a bit too salty. If I did it again, I'd prob just stuff the bird with veggies for flavor and roast the stuffing separately. Great tip for a crispy skin: start the bird roasting at a VERY high temp(425-450) for about 20 minutes, then finish the cooking time at 325.

We don't stuff the bird at my house anyway. We're southern. It's dressing all the way!

Coincidentally, this will be my first year making the cornbread dressing, but only because I can't trust anyone else to do it. LOL!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Cajun marinade to inject, with a cajun rub. I highly recommend the injections, makes the bird amazing!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    BRINE!
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I do a dry rub of seasonings and I stuff the turkey with carrots, celery, onion and an orange. Like someone else mentioned, make sure that you rub underneath the skin to ensure that it gets into the meat. Once I've done the rub and stuffed the turkey, I pour a mixture of champagne and chicken broth over it to ensure that it stays juicy.

Good luck with your turkey. :flowerforyou:
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've done both and both methods can be used on the same bird.

Brining can make the skin a little rubbery and hard to crisp, however. If you want a crispy skin be sure to pat the bird dry before popping in the oven. Then, pull the foil away for the last 45 minutes or so. Baste and/or brush on some kind of oil or butter based sauce.

This year I am going with the rub. Roasting with an onion, garlic and thyme inside the bird. Flavor only, not to consume. It always roasts up better when I have a Knob Creek on the Rocks nearby. Or, Maybe, Wild Turkey to celebrate the occasion.

Enjoy the holiday.

Knob Creek on the rocks! My fave!!! :happy:

To answer the question, I have always done a dry rub. I apply the dry rub spices up to 24 hours ahead, roast at a higher heat for the first 20 minutes then back down to 325 degrees for the remainder, basting every hour or so.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Brine--it's very scientific and actually gets all the flavor and moisture into the meat, whereas a rub just puts it on the outside.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Both so you can have a juicy bird with crispy skin :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Both so you can have a juicy bird with crispy skin :)

I really want to do both. I'll have to research this some more.
  • lovedogslovecats
    lovedogslovecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't do either - I rub my bird with Crisco, put in a 450 oven & immediately drop the temp to 350 and roast 20 mins. per pound. It's always beautifully browned and tender & juicy.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I brine mine overnight. Then rinse it and pat it dry before putting it in the roasting pan. Last year I covered my turkey with a cheese cloth that had been soaked in turkey stock and seasonings then continued to baste it throughout the cooking time. It turned out the be the tastiest and prettiest bird I've ever made, was very proud of it!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I brine mine overnight. Then rinse it and pat it dry before putting it in the roasting pan. Last year I covered my turkey with a cheese cloth that had been soaked in turkey stock and seasonings then continued to baste it throughout the cooking time. It turned out the be the tastiest and prettiest bird I've ever made, was very proud of it!
    Trying this for my Christmas bird!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

You know, I can never find cheesecloth. But this method does sound interesting.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    We found it in the craft section of our store. I found the recipe on tv show The Chew.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I don't do either - I rub my bird with Crisco, put in a 450 oven & immediately drop the temp to 350 and roast 20 mins. per pound. It's always beautifully browned and tender & juicy.

Are you serious?