Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed

Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

I'm more afraid of the crazy things they do to get the oil out of the seeds. I never thought I'd be this "crunchy" but I try to stick with expeller pressed oils. After they get the first press out, they go after the oil with heat and chemicals like benzene.

So you'd be okay with Extra Virgin Rape Oil?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note, canola oil (and olive) has been a staple in my family forever and cancer is not a common disease amongst us. In fact, my 96-year-old grandmother's OLDER sister just died last year.

Unpossible. Canola oil is a brand new thing.

Did I forget to mention we're time travelers?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    So you'd be okay with Extra Virgin Rape Oil?

and the angel of the Lord said unto Mary,
    "you knocked up!"
    And much extra virgin rape oil was to be had by all.
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's obviously a Canadian plot to take over the US!! I'd panic if I were you.
    Also, deadly nightshade...deadly right? Tomatoes are in the nightshade family!!!

hahahahaha
  • 6packb450
    Options
    But is it 'legitimate' rape oil?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I snickered a bit.

I've always wondering where canola came from, and I've always just not given enough sh*ts to find out. Thanks for doing my legwork, and I'm sorry that the internet scared you (and then taunted you mercilessly when you tried to express your concerns). Be careful out there.

I think it's important to treat all of your findings with the same degree of seriousness. "Although wild rapeseed oil contains significant amounts of erucic acid, a known toxin, the cultivar used to produce commercial, food-grade canola oil was bred to contain less than 2% erucic acid, levels that are not believed to cause harm in humans and no health effects have been associated with consumption by humans of the genetically modified oil.
    "Although rumors that canola oil can cause dangerous health problems circulated, there is no reason to believe canola oil poses unusual health risks and its consumption in food-grade forms is generally recognized as safe by the United States Food and Drug Administration."
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Check out coconut oil. It doesn't break down like other oils when heated. It's very healthy, and it's the type of fat your brain needs. It's great stuff.

ditto :)

and best used when making homemade popcorn :)

Coconut oil is the nuts - try putting some in your hair for an hour or so and then washing. Best 'conditioner' I've ever used.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I hear that the body has a way of shutting that whole thing down...
    ;)
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think it prefers to be called Surprise Sex Oil... poor thing, gets such a bad rap.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Canola oil is a type of vegetable oil that is made from the rapeseed, a yellow plant that's a member of the mustard/cabbage family. Both canola oil and vegetable oil, which can be made from a variety of plants such as corn and peanut, can be used interchangeably in recipes without changing the texture of the food. The biggest difference is in the health benefit. Because canola oil is lower in saturated fat and contains omega nutrients, it's considered to be better for your heart. Keep in mind that oil is a something you should use sparingly, as both types have about 120 calories in a tablespoon.
    Saturated Fat

Consuming foods that contain saturated fats will raise the cholesterol level in your bloodstream. High cholesterol can increase your risk of stroke or heart disease. The American Heart Association recommends eating foods that are high in monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats. Canola oil is higher in these fats and has half of the saturated fat of vegetable oil. Both oils do have the same number of calories, and -- as long as the vegetable oil is soybean based -- neither has cholesterol.
    Omega Nutrients

Increasing your consumption of omega-3 and omega-6 can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. Omega fatty acids may also alleviate arthritis symptoms and aid in depression therapy, according to the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University. Canola oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Vegetable oil may contain both fatty acids, but soybean-based ones can have fatty acids that are hydrogenated and highly refined, so they aren't as beneficial as the omega nutrients in other oils.
    Uses

Both canola oil and vegetable oil can be used in baking as a substitute for shortening, butter or margarine. Vegetable oil tends to work better when you're frying foods, because prolonged heat can damage the fatty acids in canola oil and possibly compromise their safety. Canola oil is fine if you are doing a stir fry, because it holds flavor better, and the fatty acids can survive the quick high heat. Canola oil is also a better choice for dressings and marinades as the rapeseed allows herbs and spices to reach their peak.
    Considerations

Vegetable oil is really not one particular type of oil. Although major brands such as Wesson and Crisco primarily use soybeans in their vegetable oils, corn, peanuts, safflower seeds, cottonseeds and sunflower seeds may also be used. Because no definitive formula exists for making vegetable oil, some may contain less fat and more nutrients, making them healthier than others. Check the label on any vegetable oil you're thinking about buying before you make your purchase.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/429184-canola-oil-vs-vegetable-oil/#ixzz2ClxPDrof
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed

Snopes:

I'm more afraid of the crazy things they do to get the oil out of the seeds. I never thought I'd be this "crunchy" but I try to stick with expeller pressed oils. After they get the first press out, they go after the oil with heat and chemicals like benzene.

And what does heat do to benzene?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed

Snopes:

And what does heat do to benzene?

Makes it hot. And no one wants a hot benzene rape. No one.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Was the bottle wearing a short skirt?
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Someone just shared this with me, and I'm just truly at a loss for words.
    [snip]

Why do you hate Canada?
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    What, no warning about the deadliness of turnips, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and mustard? They all fall under the same family.

To be fair, Brussel sprouts do deserve a warning.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    :O
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

If it’s a legitimate rape oil, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

:yawn:
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh, can someone do Soybeans now? Holy crap - Soybean Oil and Soy Flour is in everything! Soy is also one of the top 10 allergens.
    Ok, go.....
  • RogerLowen
    RogerLowen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well fellow Canadians, I guess our secret plot to poison the world is out!! Oh well, we've still got our beef!! Doooh, now that's out too!! Bahahaha.