Low Carb vs. Moderate Carb

Options

Replies

• Rodhands
    Options
    Read back, I have said what industry and my reason why I disagree with the pushing of "whole grains are brilliant", not necessarily because they aren't but because that is done at the expense of demonizing fats which is just a ridiculous notion.

I haven't read all the replies so I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but who are you refering to when you say whole grains are said to be brilliant at the expense of demonizing fat?

Hey, essentially I am talking about the entire media. We are taught from a young age that fats will make us fat... the clue is even in the names we gave to the two things, but that just quite simply isn't the case!
  • Rodhands
    Options
    I don't think any diet that says you can't have broccoli or green beans is good for long term, but I don't know of any that actually DO restrict those. Are there ones that do? Even Atkins allows non starch veggies.

Even the lowest of low carb diets (like my own <20g) allow brocolli/green beans etc... tbh the rule I try to live by is that green veggies are ok, but all others are bad.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I do:

60% FAT
    25% PROTEIN
    15% carbs (for me that is 50 grams give or take.)

I did go even lower but not necessary for me anymore, I did add sweet potato, some white rice and have done just fine maintaining.

In the end, no matter what others opinions are, you'll have to experiment with the numbers, because we are all different! :smile:

Not criticizing-- just wondering why your diet is so high in fats?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Read back, I have said what industry and my reason why I disagree with the pushing of "whole grains are brilliant", not necessarily because they aren't but because that is done at the expense of demonizing fats which is just a ridiculous notion.

I haven't read all the replies so I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but who are you refering to when you say whole grains are said to be brilliant at the expense of demonizing fat?

Hey, essentially I am talking about the entire media. We are taught from a young age that fats will make us fat... the clue is even in the names we gave to the two things, but that just quite simply isn't the case!

Oh. I didn't realize the media was still so out of sync with medical recommendations. But really the media is a BAD place to look for nutritional advice. Too confusing and too sensationalized.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options

My numbers are about the same.

50g carb = 200 cal 10%
    100g Protein = 400 cal 20%

At 1900 cal/day I'm still losing, so I need 1300 cal 70% . They have to come from somewhere. 1300/9 = 144g fat

Why don't I just eat more carbs you might ask? Because if I eat 100g carbs I'll gave a very difficult time controlling my intake to 1900 calories. If I stay at 50 carbs then not too much trouble.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I don't think any diet that says you can't have broccoli or green beans is good for long term, but I don't know of any that actually DO restrict those. Are there ones that do? Even Atkins allows non starch veggies.

Even the lowest of low carb diets (like my own <20g) allow brocolli/green beans etc... tbh the rule I try to live by is that green veggies are ok, but all others are bad.

That's what I thought. But I keep reading people saying low carb means cutting out all vegetables. I don't know where they get that from.
  • cindyb6045
    cindyb6045 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started with the 20grams a day for the first two weeks as suggested in the Atkins book. I am now at about 50grams daily. I have been doing this for about 3 months. I love it, no cravings, I feel more alert, more energy and I don't get hangry (angry when Iam hungry) anymore. For me its a way of life. I have also lost weight and inches. This is what works for me.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do:

60% FAT
    25% PROTEIN
    15% carbs (for me that is 50 grams give or take.)

I did go even lower but not necessary for me anymore, I did add sweet potato, some white rice and have done just fine maintaining.

In the end, no matter what others opinions are, you'll have to experiment with the numbers, because we are all different! :smile:

I think they protein to fat ratio could be a little more even, but in general, fats are good energy, help to balance cholesterol and promote the correct hormones for fat burning. Not to mention most fats are low inflammatory that help prevent heart disease. That's right. Low carb high fat does the opposite of what most people think it does.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I did low carb as a vego a few years ago (bodybuilder PT at the time forced it upon me...) less than 40g per day, after eating probably 250-300g. it sucked. I felt sick, had no energy, couldn't concentrate (was studying for my finals at the time). didn't lose weight even though I only did it for a week.

sometimes reducing carbs helps. some people can eat very low carb and feel good. others cannot.

if you think that carbs are your problem area, slowly reduce them. I don't recommend dropping them really low, you will feel terrible. look up carb cycling - I find it really effective for weight loss (I only do it for max 2 weeks at a time though). or as I said slowly reduce them most days but have a day where you're consuming a far amount.

you do realise that only doing ti for a week you gave your body no time to adjust?

Your not going to get over the initial carb defecit in a week

yes I do realise that. but going from 250-300/day to 40g was far too extreme. if I had done it slowly it wouldn't have been so bad.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I aim for 70-100g of carbs as I know I could keep this up. If you go too low, it is more likely going to lead to gains when you start having more. Though I aim between 90-120g of protein. 100g and under is still considered a fairly low carb, I usually plan my day to have enough protein, then add something like porridge or extra fruit or veg to add up a few extra carbs.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was on a very low-carb diet for about a year, for medical reasons. I did lose weight, but not really a lot. Then I changed to a low glycemic index diet (no refined carbs, and very careful with bread, pasta, rice and potatoes), where I never combined fat and carbs (one meal carbs and protein, another meal 3-4 hours apart with fat and protein), and ate a lot of vegetables. Broccoli. Enourmous amounts of broccoli.

This diet (low GI) made me lose weight a lot faster, and I also didn't have the problems with low blood-sugar the low-carb diet gave me. I never reached the famous ketosis on low-carb, even if I was extremely careful.

So, depending on what suits your body better, you may be better off on low GI than low carb, or you may need to just watch calories very carefully. There's no way to say exactly what's the best for you until you try.
  • Rodhands
    Options
    IIf you go too low, it is more likely going to lead to gains when you start having more.

Just wanted to point out that this is not the case, what you do have to do is be a lot more sensible when you are reintroducing carbs into your diet, as just straight going from <20g to 70g IS going to cause weight gain. my plan to reintegrate carbs will involve months of work around introducing the right type of carbs at the right times and in the right measurements.

something akin to <20g to <40g to <50g to <70g over the course of ~2months

Having said that I plan to never properly reintegrate white bread/pasta/grain into my diet ever again, as for me it obviously doesnt work in terms of providing me satiety and allowing me to maintain a healthy weight.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have eaten between 20g and 80g carbs per day for 2 years now, gradually reducing my levels down to 20g which I have been at since March, about 9 months. There's enough misleading couch-science here, so I'll let my loss speak for itself and the fact that my "brain" is still alive and kicking without those oh-so-essential carbohydrates. Low carb isn't the only way to lose weight or be healthy, but it sure as hell was the only way that worked for me.
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    IIf you go too low, it is more likely going to lead to gains when you start having more.

Just wanted to point out that this is not the case, what you do have to do is be a lot more sensible when you are reintroducing carbs into your diet, as just straight going from <20g to 70g IS going to cause weight gain. my plan to reintegrate carbs will involve months of work around introducing the right type of carbs at the right times and in the right measurements.

something akin to <20g to <40g to <50g to <70g over the course of ~2months

Having said that I plan to never properly reintegrate white bread/pasta/grain into my diet ever again, as for me it obviously doesnt work in terms of providing me satiety and allowing me to maintain a healthy weight.

You can add them right away if you want the weight gain is from water. The Adkins books say to do it slowly but honestly it really doesn't matter it just looks better on the scale. I know when I carb up I gain 10-15lbs of water weight. If I stay on a high carb diet is slow drops a little, if I go back on low carb like I do for a CKD, the weight is all gone in 2-3 days. Everyone is different though.

I just find it interesting that so many people think you just gain it all back. It just like any diet if you start eating like you did before you lost the weight then yes you will. Or if you did low carb for 2 weeks and dropped 10-12 lbs then got off the diet, then you will gain back all the water weight.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i eat carbs . im very active so i need them . i eat junk carbs when im not supposed to but when i follow the diet im on good carbs..yep i eat potatoes, whole grains of all kinds , whole grain pasta ..i have to measure them though.if i dont i pile it on the plate and probably eat enough for 3-4 servings. its sad to measure but i guess thats why im on here --because i dont
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I tried low-carb, just couldn't do it. I see carbs as extremely important to my body while lifting so I don't want to get rid of them anymore. I just try to eat them in moderation, which is still like 150 a day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was on a very low-carb diet for about a year, for medical reasons. I did lose weight, but not really a lot. Then I changed to a low glycemic index diet (no refined carbs, and very careful with bread, pasta, rice and potatoes), where I never combined fat and carbs (one meal carbs and protein, another meal 3-4 hours apart with fat and protein), and ate a lot of vegetables. Broccoli. Enourmous amounts of broccoli.

This diet (low GI) made me lose weight a lot faster, and I also didn't have the problems with low blood-sugar the low-carb diet gave me. I never reached the famous ketosis on low-carb, even if I was extremely careful.

So, depending on what suits your body better, you may be better off on low GI than low carb, or you may need to just watch calories very carefully. There's no way to say exactly what's the best for you until you try.

A typical low GI diet does not require that you never eat carb and fat together? Eating carbs with fat would likely lower the GI of the meal.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I tried low-carb, just couldn't do it. I see carbs as extremely important to my body while lifting so I don't want to get rid of them anymore. I just try to eat them in moderation, which is still like 150 a day.

Yup. I'm at around 150/day also. My protein and carbs hover around the same level. Pretty low in fats (around 25g/day) also. Working for me this far.
  • Rodhands
    Options
    You can add them right away if you want the weight gain is from water. The Adkins books say to do it slowly but honestly it really doesn't matter it just looks better on the scale. I know when I carb up I gain 10-15lbs of water weight. If I stay on a high carb diet is slow drops a little, if I go back on low carb like I do for a CKD, the weight is all gone in 2-3 days. Everyone is different though.

I just find it interesting that so many people think you just gain it all back. It just like any diet if you start eating like you did before you lost the weight then yes you will. Or if you did low carb for 2 weeks and dropped 10-12 lbs then got off the diet, then you will gain back all the water weight.

TIL Thanks

I still think I will add them back in slowly to avoid the culture shock rather than what I currently have.
  • Rodhands
    Options

Yup. I'm at around 150/day also. My protein and carbs hover around the same level. Pretty low in fats (around 25g/day) also. Working for me this far.
    Thats the beauty of it for me, I can eat high fats and still lose weight, and for someone like myself who loves his cheese/bacon this is a big deal

different strokes for different folks aint it!