I want to run a half marathon in September

Options
I have never ran a half marathon.. i have always wanted to but have been very overhelmed with the idea of running 13.1 miles. There is a race in September... the 15th to be exact... i was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to break down a 9 month training schedule so i can train and not be overwhelmed..

Replies

• miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    how far do you run now? there are great training programs out there and 9 months is TONS of time to start training for a half (particularly if you have some sort of base)
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I can run 3 miles on a good day
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    go to runnersworld.com and use smart coach
    or
    google half marathon plans

Lots of free ones online.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    To find a training program for your half-marathon check out web-sites such as www.runnersworld.com. Good luck to you.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    runners world DOES have some good training propgrams as mentioned. One thing that really works for me is joining a training team! I have Fleet Feet stores in STL so if you live near a Fleet Feet (or other running store) they will have training teams/programs or information on where to find them. I always had trouble with long runs and when I had a group to train with I did awesome. It held me accountable and made it more fun. I was then able to find friends who I could continue running with after the final race!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I never ran in my life until this past January and I ran a half-marathon in June. I googled half marathon on line and found several different resources. I used a combination of Hal Higdon's and Runnersworld's plan. Basically I only ran 3 days a week. I did two short runs during the week and one long run on the weekend (gradually increasing to 10 miles). On my non-running days I rode my bike, lifted weights, etc... There are so many resources online! Good luck!!
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It’s a great goal! I really can’t add more than what has been said, but I’ll vote for Runner’s World Smart Coach, it’s a nice program (I’m used it for my first half and now I’m using it for a full.) I know a lot of the runners on the Runner’s World Loop use Hal Higdon plans.

Good luck!
    Dave D
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    marathonrookie.com - enjoy your run!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    19 week training plan..
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    marathonrookie.com - enjoy your run!
    This
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would start out using those sites mentioned, also I would run a few races before then like a 5k, then 10K, 15K, so that way you start out slow and build up to it, cause I have never seen a person just go out and run a half without training.
    I am doing a half next year, I have ran 3 5k's and a 10k, I am lucky to have a coworker that has ran 5k's half's and a full marathon, so working with him on doing a half is helping me out alot
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    I have done 2 ; 5k's .. .im obviously going to train its a matter of spreading out 13.1 miles in 37 weeks!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Aim for 8 miles - thats the trick. Cause after mile 6 youve thought about everything you dont want to think about and you go Zen. By mile 8, your hips unhinge and your body goes on autopilot for quite a while.

Dont think about 13.1.

Think about beating your current personal record and thats it!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's novice 2 plan. He has five half marathon plans, as well as different distance plans. Good stuff.

My biggest challenge was figuring out what to feed myself along the way.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    So i've decided that im gonna work towards a 10k which is a smaller goal (i have jeff galloways 10 k training plan) which is 13 weeks long and i can learn to run 6.2 miles which is half way and if i need to take longer than 13 weeks and push it to 15 weeks that will be okay!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm also planning on running my first half next Summer. I would like to do it sooner, but July or August are my only options. I'm currently running 3-4 miles a few times a week and just printed out Hal Higdon's novice 1 training plan. I'll probably do each week twice just because I have loads of time to get ready for the half. Then I'll likely just maintain a 7+ mile weekly long run through summer and bump it up a month or so before the race. Of course this is all just a plan. I obviously have never actually done this before, but it seems like a reasonable plan.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try a half marathon in the late spring next year! I've done 10k the most. Good luck with your training!
  • ContrivedUserID
    Options
    I completed my first half marathon on September 30th of this year, and I began training in June or so. I started with a 3 mile distance as well, so you should do wonderfully with the amount of time you're giving yourself.

It's very rewarding- I ended up running another half marathon six weeks later, and I'm now training for a full marathon. Good luck!