Protein

Options
is it bad if i go over in my protein ?

Replies

• kristenmturkey
    Options
    It's almost impossible not to - I wouldn't worry about it. Calories are probably the most important thing to not go over on :-) Also, it takes a lot more work for the body to turn protein into fat, so that's always a plus!
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me last night that I should always eat as much protein as poss, better to go over on the protein than the carbs!
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    no, as long as you are still getting enough carbs. It is only bad if you replace your alouted carbs with protein. Then your body goes into ketosis and your liver has to start converting protein into glucose which is really not good for it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are constantly over you may want to change your goals by increasing protein % by 5% and reducing either fat or carbs. To do this go to goals, click change goals, click custom, make your changes then click save changes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is only bad if you replace your alloted carbs with protein. Then your body goes into ketosis and your liver has to start converting protein into glucose which is really not good for it.

This only will happen if you are eating more than 35% calories from protein for an extended period of time. MFP sets you up at 15%, so you can more than double the MFP amount and still be good over the long term.
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    its better to be over on protein rather than fat/carbs. the TE of protein is about 20% as compared to ~12% for carbs and 3% for fat
  • safiresp04
    Options
    no, as long as you are still getting enough carbs. It is only bad if you replace your alouted carbs with protein. Then your body goes into ketosis and your liver has to start converting protein into glucose which is really not good for it.

It takes 3 days for ketosis to kick in & for your body to begin feeding on your muscle. For short bursts of fat-burning, & under the supervision of a trainer, zero-carb is ok.
  • stephaniemarie8
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses !

761780.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter