Yes another dating topic....

Options
Ok, I know there are hundreds of people on here looking for dating advice...and now I am one of them :(
I was married to my husband for five years. We have been seperated since April 2012 and are in process of divorce, which as some of you know, drags out forever. He was unfaithful with more than one woman and often accused me of being unfaithful. I never was. Anywho, this is where it sits. Im lonely, Im not looking for any bump or grind, just coffee, conversation, and a few laughs. Every time I even get approached by someone (which is a little on the rare side....its happened twice) I feel like I should just run the other way. I think its because of his accusations and the fact the divorce isnt finalized. Everyone is telling me, im fine, company will do me good. It just might. Am I being paranoid about not even going out for coffee and being friends with guys because of his false accusations? Honest answers are more than appreciated..

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're just not ready yet. After all, you are the hurt party, he cheated on you multiple times. You have to let yourself have time to adapt and actually grieve for the lost marriage. Don't force yourself to do what you aren't emotionally or mentally ready to do. When you're ready, you'll know. Hang in there. Put yourself first for a change. :flowerforyou:
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you have to get back on the horse soon... you are still young so let the past be the past and get your life started again. you keep carrying the past around on your shoulders the stress will drive your looks, your fitness and your sanity in directions you dont want them to go. you dont want to be the 20 something mom at the soccer games looking like you are 70 because you are still holding on to a relationship that didnt work out
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ready to find my husband until I was happy being single. I think that's true for a lot of people. Don't rush it, but don't be afraid to have friends. You have a life, you have kids that need you. Don't forget they're going through a divorce too.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    You are not ready yet..I would just enjoy your time with the kids ( Im assuming those are your kids) and friends.. You will know when you're ready to start dating.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think you should be open-minded...but at the same time realize that the only time line you have to follow is your own. Trust your instincts, and when you're ready to "get back out there" you will. Its different for everyone.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    You are not ready yet..I would just enjoy your time with the kids ( Im assuming those are your kids) and friends.. You will know when you're ready to start dating.

terrible advice next thing she knows the kids will be off to college and she will still not be ready... put the big girl panties on and hop back on the horse.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Not reading all the previous replys. IMO: Wait until your divorce is final. Concentrate on yourself. Learn to be content within. Rely on your women friends for emotional support.
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here as well. Maybe you are just lonely. Not necessarily for a man but a person who understands the "sh*tty" situation that happenend to you. You got your world altered and you didn't ask for it. Something or someone will come along and you will know it is the right time. You can't force it.
    Also, I would caution you to be very careful through your divorce process to not give your ex fuel for the divorce court by courting people and having him find out. He sounds like a jerk that might twist it all around for his own benefit. I am saying this simply based on the fact that he is a cheater but tried to blame you. (Just my humble opinion). I wish you all the very best! Dating sucks...lol
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    If you're running the other direction, *you* are not ready. Focus on yourself and rediscovering what you love to do. Have fun with your time and do things for yourself. Go shopping and buy things only for you. Spend a day home reading alone. Go workout. Enjoy your hobbies. Join a club (meetup.com is a great place for this). You'll be surprised to find out how much you enjoy actually getting to know yourself again. When you are ready to date, you'll know it. :)
  • gogzhad
    gogzhad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're going through a divorce, and that it's dragging on for a long time. It can be an incredibly negative experience.

I think when you're going through it, it's extremely important to have a solid support system of friends and relatives to whom you can turn for advice, support, help, and the occasional shoulder to cry on.

It may not be the best time to initiate a deeper or intimate relationship. You're going through an incredibly intense time now, and that tends to amplify everything. When the divorce is final, the dust settles a bit, you get used to being you, being single, you may find that those crisis-amplified feelings have changed dramatically.

I wish you the best, and I hope you have a lot of friends and family surrounding you as you go through this.
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I feel better reading these :tongue: at the very least I am smiling. Yes, those are my kids, and they are amazing. I know im not ready for anything serious, not yet, however I do feel I am ready to trust the male gender with a cup of coffee and not have the secret desire to castrate them! Because of my ex's poor choices he has a court order where he cannot see me or the kids at this time. Which makes it even harder on them to understand, although I've done my best to keep them out of it. They have no idea that their dad cheated, or made the choices he did. I want to keep it that way....however between working two jobs to take care of them, and being alone every day, some civilized conversation may be a bit of a craving at this point:blushing:
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

terrible advice next thing she knows the kids will be off to college and she will still not be ready... put the big girl panties on and hop back on the horse.

So what that the kids will be in college ( if that even happens)...Being in relationship is not the only thing that make people happy. She has to be happy with herself, before she can make anybody else happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you are going through a divorce, and there are children involved, and there is the possibility of it getting contentious, DO NOT go out alone with a guy until the divorce is final. I have heard too many horror stories of the soon to be ex using the woman's dating before the finalization of the divorce (even if he's already dating or the reason for the marriage dissolution is his infidelity) to character assassinate her to get better terms for him for child visitation/shared custody etc. Best thing to do about that though from a legal standpoint would be to ask your lawyer if you have one.

I did start dating when I was going through a divorce, but I had no kids, and the reason for our divorce was his infidelity. I also knew he was already dating (heck, had moved her into our house the same week I moved out)....and in reality, emotionally our marriage was over before I found out about his cheating, so I had already gone through a bunch of 'letting go' already. I did keep it circumspect, and always went out with a group of people until after the divorce was finalized.
  • Tkichler
    Tkichler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ready to find my husband until I was happy being single. I think that's true for a lot of people. Don't rush it, but don't be afraid to have friends. You have a life, you have kids that need you. Don't forget they're going through a divorce too.

Exactly!!! Give it time girl, there's no rush! Be content to "just be YOU".
  • Danardeener
    Options
    I think you need to be comfortable with being with yourself and find out who you are and what you like before you jump into another relationship..dating or otherwise. Once the divorce is final...go crazy!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Trust is the easist thing to break and the most difficult thing to repair.

It takes time.
  • lynnypenny1982
    Options
    People who cheat always shift blame. ALWAYS. I dated a guy like that. He always accused me of straying, wanting to stray or that I would find someone else better. I got rid of him quick, and no I didn't want to friends with him. Someone like that is a psychopath in my mind.

I am single now and have been for awhile. I enjoy it. I have no interest in dating. Some people find that strange or odd, but what is wrong with being happy with being single? You have to do what is right for you.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yes you sound paranoid. You did say you want friends so get out there and meet some, plus not every man you meet will lead to a relationship (which you are not ready for anyway).
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options

How is it terrible advice? It doesn't sound like she is ready. She is not even fully divorced yet - she should enjoy the time with her kids and friends. Soon she will feel more comfortable and that coffee wont sound like a bad idea.

your advice to "hop back up on the horse" is a terrible idea - she is probably a bit vunerable and getting into somethign too quick may cause more emotional/mental anguish than just waiting a few months or even a few years. Let her enjoy some single time.... damn!

To OP: Take time for yourself, for your kids and your family. Soon those feelings will be less evident and coffee or lunch will be a good place to start. When a guy who peeks your interest comes into your life....you'll know when its right to give your number/email for some casual chit chat....then see where it goes. No need to rush.