Female Calves... don't like mine

Options

Replies

• kirstyg1980
    Options
    I seem to have the sort of legs that build muscle fairly easily with exercise, and although I know that yes, there are far worse things to be worried about, and that many females want muscular calves, I don't like them. Muscle is great, to a degree, but for me personally, there are limits.

I generally do interval training on the stationary bike, outdoor cycling, interval training on the elliptical and some upper body work.
    I do not know which of these is likely to be contributing to my increased calf size.

I want to retain leanness, and to keep my metabolism running smoothly, and yes, be fit, but surely there must be some way to do this without ending up with 13.5 inch calves ? :/

Try having 17" calves
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Agreed - mine are gigantuous.

l950959152.jpg
  • yoovie
    Options
    I seem to have the sort of legs that build muscle fairly easily with exercise, and although I know that yes, there are far worse things to be worried about, and that many females want muscular calves, I don't like them. Muscle is great, to a degree, but for me personally, there are limits.

I generally do interval training on the stationary bike, outdoor cycling, interval training on the elliptical and some upper body work.
    I do not know which of these is likely to be contributing to my increased calf size.

I want to retain leanness, and to keep my metabolism running smoothly, and yes, be fit, but surely there must be some way to do this without ending up with 13.5 inch calves ? :/

Try having 17" calves

mine are 16" I feel your pain.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Mine are 15 inches. Who cares.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Mine are about 80", but then again, I am a T-rex. I think we just have to learn to love ourselves as we are :)
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    15.5 inches last time I measured. I'm in no-man's land between regular calved boots and wide calf.....so I have an endless supply of booties that look great with skirts and pants.

13.5 seems like an average calf size - embrace it
  • yoovie
    Options
    Mine are 15 inches. Who cares.

obviously the person that made this post is the one that cares. You aren't required to.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Mine are 16" and I find lots of tall boots from Zappos (that site gives you all the measurements). My calves didn't change sizes even though I lost over 40 pounds, but it went from fat to muscle. Much sexier!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I also hate my calves. They are muscular and almost as big as my thighs. I have a horrible time finding boots because they honestly don't fit my calves. I have found that lifting has actually helped decrease their size though (step ups, lunges, squats, etc.) Not sure how this is happening, but it is. I have just come to live with the fact that I will always have big calves.
  • kellis155
    Options
    Mine are 18".... take comfort. I'd kill for 13 inches!! I just have super big legs... I will probably never be able to wear normal high boots, I'll probably always have to get the wide calf size. :( Boo.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Mine are around 16 now, just found a pair of boots!! Bear Traps with a stretchy panel on top in the back and super cute :) I think I had to try on 50 pairs to find them, but I am in love :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You can obviously avoid doing exercises that target that area, like calf raises, but many other exercises that build strength in your legs will also target calves.

Just like the body will lose weight where it chooses, with will gain muscle where it chooses and there is only so much you can do about it. Eventually you just have to accept that your body is what it is and do the best you can with what you have.

I also don't think 13 1/2 is that big... mine are 14 1/2 and while they're on the larger side, I never have issues finding boots that fit, so clearly they're not monstrous.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to like mine. They were big before cuz of fat, now they're big because of muscle. It's a good trade off.

It would be nice if I could fit into any old boot out there though. That kinda sucks :/
  • Mrsjay27
    Options
    If you had to choose would you rather have small calves that gain no muscle or naturally strong healthy calves?...I say embrace those beauties and continue to work at being healthy and strong..nothing like a strong pair of legs....
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have 16.5 inch calves - and although I find it hard to get boots that fit nicely, I love my calves...
    They carry my body while running through forests, along rivers and down beautiful paths...
    They have a nice defined (almost!) shape, and dont give in when climbing stairs, carrying heavy stuff and doing mean lunges and squats...
    They are healthy, strong and had carried me through life without complaining - and that is so much more that what the war vet of 25 who lost his legs in Afganistan, or the female cop who got shot in the spine can have - and I am thankfull....
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Calve size is largly genetic....not a whole lot you can do about them so learn to love them. I have 17 inch calves of pure muscle...I used to hate mine too. Now I embrace what my mama gave me...(she has them too). Besides that, I would much rather have muscular calves than look like I am running around on a chicken bare back!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    On average, boots are made for a 15" calf, so, while you may not like your proportions, you are on the small side.

You know how with beef, you have fat marbled through the meat? As I understand it, people are the same. So, you can have calves that feel hard as a rock, but still have fat mixed in there. So, if, overall, you are still lowering your bodyfat, your calves should also get smaller. Even if they seem hard and well defined now, they may still get smaller.

And, of course, if your cardio is using your calves a lot, they will tend to stay quite muscular. A good thing, as far as I'm concerned!
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I hate my Calves too! I can never find tall boots that are cute and will fit around them. I have not measured but believe they are around 18. :(
  • rachaelbmh
    Options
    If you're strong, you're sexy. Learn to love the body you've been given! :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    13.5" calves are considered BIG? Color me shocked.