How do you feel about family members joining MFP ?

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I don't care if they use MFP....but they won't be friending me anytime soon....

it's not that I'm hiding anything about myself...it's more with every thing that comes out of my mouth...i'll get a call from someone saying

"Oh Lauren did you really want all your friends to know about that?"

uhhhhh if I posted it, then i'm comfortable with people knowing...my family is intensely private and i'm not so much....it's created tension in the past.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My sister uses MFP, i don't have her as a friend.

I would, but i'm currently recovering (recovered??) from bulimia and though i am very proud to admit in online, i still do not want my family knowing about it!

The same goes with real life friends, exept one. I added someone from the same town as me and it turned out she was a friend of a friend who i'd met before! So she knows all and it's ok :)

Honey, if your sister is on MFP and happens along this forum post - don't you think she will recognize you? And she will now know what you didn't want her to know. I'd think about another kind of picture for your profile. Good luck!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm selfish...this is my place....they know I log my food and exercise but that's it.......I don't really want them here....plus they are all skinny so I doubt they would want to anyway......
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    fam on here: both siblings, both parents, aunt and uncle and maybe more that idk about. im am friends with all of them on here and also support them in real life
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    hehe. My Fiance is on MFP and we've just set a date for our wedding? does that count?

That's awesome! Congrats!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My sister uses MFP, i don't have her as a friend.

I would, but i'm currently recovering (recovered??) from bulimia and though i am very proud to admit in online, i still do not want my family knowing about it!

The same goes with real life friends, exept one. I added someone from the same town as me and it turned out she was a friend of a friend who i'd met before! So she knows all and it's ok :)

The way you have your profile set up, if she searches for you and looks at your forum posts, she will see this post by you. Just an FYI.

My husband belongs to MFP, but he never logs. I really just set him up so that he could see how many calories he should eat in a day and to log food for him for a couple of days so he could see how much he was actually eating.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have my Brother, Sister-in-Law, Cousin, and my Aunt on here. Whats the problem?
  • amberleighM04
    Options
    Wouldn't bother me...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just added my mom last week. I have been trying to get her to join. She hasn't started logging yet though. :ohwell:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My dad is here and I love it!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My ex is on here but to only spy on me so I hate it... other than that if rest of my family wanted to join I would be very happy.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I signed my mother up when I joined MFP. She hasn't come here once. :sad:
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My daughter is who introduced me to MFP. She is not very active on here, but is on and off. I think its fine....
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    They could all use it.....
    I'd be overjoyed.
  • slobsolb
    Options
    My twin sister introduced me, we both log on every day (though I've recently taken 4 days off on the advice of a medical professional) I'm really grateful she introduced me. We each view the others diaries every couple of days or so and offer encouragement and advice online and in person. We are very close anyway though so there's nothing to hide
  • Mollie007
    Options
    I don't like it. It's nice for them to be supportive, but to be able to see everything I do and eat and say.... It's hard enough for me to lose weight. I don't need to be even more self conscious about it.
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I encourage family/friends to join. I have 3 sisters and a couple RL friends here. It's nice to have others in real life sing the praises of MFP with me :)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm cool with it. I have my sister-in-law on here and she's one of my biggest supporters! My brother is on here, and I have him as a friend, though he doesn't use the site socially. I'm a little more reserved on facebook because I don't want to offend too many conservative people that I grew up with, though I push the envelope, lol, but my family knows the real me and doesn't mind me being me. If you have to hide who you are from family, well hell, who can you be real with? lol
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about 50 days and have lost 25 lbs. I visited my kids who live out of state a couple weeks ago and they noticed my weight loss. Out of the blue they both sent me a friend requests and joined MFP! So far my son has lost 9 lbs in about 12 days! I will say I'm careful when I comment of their progress on my news feed not to talk about personal stuff. :)
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My dad has an account on here, but I don't know his username and I'm pretty sure he'd feel awkward if he knew mine.