What was your "AHA!" moment?

Options
That final push that convinced you that you wanted to be healthier?

For me, it was about the time when I realized I'd outgrown EVERY pair of pants I own. As I don't have money to go buy more, I went and rummaged through my old "fat" clothes at my ex-husband's house, which netted me a SINGLE pair of jeans. I've been in those jeans for something like six months now. (Jean washing sucks. Jean washing twice a week because that's all you can fit into sucks even more!)

And then one day, the cat peed on the single pair of pants I can wear. That very day, I realized I needed to do something. And I so I signed up here.

What was your guy's moments???

Replies

• reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My Ah Hah moment was that my back hurt everyday and I had to see the chiropractor way too much. I did not want to be
    in pain anymore. Losing weight was the answer.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    For me it was just stepping on a scale. I knew I'd gained a few pounds but I didn't think it was that much! Needless to say, I step on a scale daily now, ha ha. No more surprises.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    For me it was seeing a picture of myself with my kid and thinking "Wow! Who's that fat person with my kid?".....in conjunction with my annual physical for OSHA, and getting my BP, cholesterol, and body fat results and going....."Oh oh! No longer in the lows, I'm now normal! (for bp and cholesterol, and BF was a lot higher than I thought it would be)"

Well, and having a closet full of cute clothes I can't wear anymore.....and not wanting to spend more $ for clothes to fit into.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Driving down a bumpy road one day, I could feel my boobs jiggle.
  • Daxgyetmhanaak
    Daxgyetmhanaak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A recent picture of myself taken at a family function told me I need to get my butt in gear!
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It was when I had been exercising my butt off for 4 months (5 days a week doing bootcamp style workouts and cardio) and had not dropped a pound. I am fat, I need to change that, and I need to get real about my diet. I want my hard work to matter.

So. I changed my diet and instantly started seeing the change.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My moment was when people my age started calling me 'maam'.
  • tippett610
    tippett610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    After having baby #3 - i gained a lot of weight while pregnant.
    I have gotten back to the weight that I was before getting pregnant but my shape is different so my clothes still don't fit.:sad:
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Looking in the mirror and thinking I want to wear clothes where I don't have to hide my tummy. But wear clothes cos I love them. Also planning a girls holiday for next year when my best friends are slim, I did not wanna be the beached whale friend!!! I wanted a confidence booster and I'm feeling more and more confident everyday! :)
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My super stretch jeans that i had been stuffing myself in... literally. freaking. exploded... I mean my butt and my thighs just burst out of the seams :/ So, I hit the gym for 6 days a week for 12 weeks and lost 20 then signed up on here to lose the last ten
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Driving down a bumpy road one day, I could feel my boobs jiggle.

Ah yes, the driving down a bumpy road and feeling jiggle in places that you've never felt jiggle before...I'm with you on that one too.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor in March because I was having pain in the center of my chest when I ate. He diagnosed me with reflux, and gave me two weeks worth of Nexium samples. He also explained how I could make dietary changes to get rid of it. I walked out of there, and thought and thought about it. I was 41 years old and 338 pounds. Though it was only reflux that day, I knew that one day it would be high blood pressure, or diabetes or some other illness that I could have prevented. And I did not want to end up unhealthy and on a bunch of medicine for stuff that I could have prevented. I made the decision that day to do whatever I needed to do to get healthy. I have come a LONG way since then!
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This has been my "you only get one shot at it" year. Realizing that I only have one life to live and one chance to live it, I don't want to look like I do, I want to look in the mirror and like what I see. I also want others to look at me like I look at them, wondering what she does to keep it up, how she fits it all in to a day.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I was sitting at my desk while working and realized my belly was sitting on top of my legs. Never good. I felt like I never looked good in anything and it was actually getting kinda hard to breathe. I watch my grandma with her oxygen mask and 75% of her heath problems are because she was overweight the bulk of her life. I don't want that to be me. I'm almost 26, and it's only going to get harder the older I get.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was on a business trip for work, in Oakridge, TN. Staying at an extended stay suites or something dont remember exactly what hotel, but this hotel room had a freakish amount of mirrors, and I had just gotten out of the shower, and between the mirror above the sink the mirror above the dresser and the mirror on the door i managed to see myself at like every angle all at once and i was like WOW I am way to fat, so the day i got back from teh business trip i started changing my life and within a year i had lost 130+ lbs.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have had many in the road to getting fit- but had hit a plateau for months and months! Very active, but nothing was making the scale go down. I have a bunch of clothes someone gave me exactly one size smaller than I am. Washed and folded and ready to be worn any day now . Then in 2 weeks, 2 pairs of my regular pants split! I had a choice- do something or go buy more big girl pants. Option B wasn't acceptable. Also- when you grow out of a size- get rid of that outfit- doesn't matter how much you like it, unless you know a good tailor and are taking the size in, just donate it. It will force you to not go up in size again without shopping.

Got back onto the MFP diary- been entering daily- consistently- (this was a challenge before). Saw exactly where I am failing........food, of course, my diet was pretty much back to pre weight loss- the only reason I wasn't gaining was all the classes I do. So- long story short- the last 2 weeks since the pants ripping day- I have lost 11 lbs.
    I am going to stay on track, I am becoming too aware of all the calories in everything- and that is a good thing. Also doing a challenge with family is helping us all.
  • Jaredsmom18
    Options
    When I was on travel and almost couldn't get the seatbelt on the airplane to buckle. I was mortified and decided enough is enough something has to change. That was a few months ago and I finally made the step to make the change!
  • darthmolly
    darthmolly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I realized that food was no longer spiraling me into panic and body image issues/obsession - that I could stop when I was full, and that I could really tell if I was full or not - and there was no guilt or shame! That was the moment where I began to wonder if I could start working with my body rather than against it, and if together we could explore what exercise and a meal plan would mean. When I found out I was actually loving my body no matter what its size, and that it was time to start treating it, gently, like I loved it I knew I could finally have a realtionship with food again rather than feeling like I am constantly arm wrestling with urges to binge or purge, and that exorcise is now about what feels good and is fun rather than some body image thing.
    I just want to love myself like I deserve to be loved - this time its all about what is good for my body, soul, and mind, and it has made all the difference in my motivation and anxiety levels.
  • MamaDecato
    Options
    When I put on my husbands sweat pants and the waist was too tight...
    He is an ex-football player and gym rat who is more muscle than fat........not a good day....
  • darthmolly
    darthmolly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I realized that food was no longer spiraling me into panic and body image issues/obsession - that I could stop when I was full, and that I could really tell if I was full or not - and there was no guilt or shame! That was the moment where I began to wonder if I could start working with my body rather than against it, and if together we could explore what exercise and a meal plan would mean. When I found out I was actually loving my body no matter what its size, and that it was time to start treating it, gently, like I loved it I knew I could finally have a realtionship with food again rather than feeling like I am constantly arm wrestling with urges to binge or purge, and that exorcise is now about what feels good and is fun rather than some body image thing.
    I just want to love myself like I deserve to be loved - this time its all about what is good for my body, soul, and mind, and it has made all the difference in my motivation and anxiety levels.

This has been a ten years in the making aha moment - with lots of therapy by the way - for anyone out there struggling with ED. My behaviors stopped five years ago, and it took me another five to be psychologically stable enough to be doing what I am doing now.