ELLIPTICAL vs TREADMILL. Your thoughts please?

Options
Which do you prefer: TREADMILL OR ELLIPTICAL? WHY? :wink:

Roe

Replies

• fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical, much easier on my old man joints, plus the ones at my gym have arm/ski attachments
  • Neither. I prefer the bowflex tread climber. It works way more muscles and is low impact.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I started out on the elliptical becouse I could stay on it longer and do better than the treadmill then I started 30 minutes on elliptical and 30 on the Mill. Evuentually I moved completely to treadmill. it has been about a year and Ive ditched the treadmill and love running outside. I did enjoy the treadmill more becouse I felt it did more for me and was more challanging. I started to incorporate the stair master with the treadmill the stairmaster kicks butt. But canceled our membership trying to cut back on expenses.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Elliptical... I'm afraid of running on the treadmill because I have a hard time keeping the same pace for long without needing to take mini 'breaks' and I'm afraid I'll fly off the back of the treadmill if I can't keep up. Plus it's easier on the joints
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Treadmill on incline, I don't mind the elliptical, but just prefer the varied walking instead...
  • leyvad
    leyvad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for me ! it burns twice as much calories as a treadmill and it works your legs and back side ::))
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Elliptical... I'm afraid of running on the treadmill because I have a hard time keeping the same pace for long without needing to take mini 'breaks' and I'm afraid I'll fly off the back of the treadmill if I can't keep up. Plus it's easier on the joints

Ha ha I like that flying off statement!
  • psychomeep
    Options
    Elliptical. Walking long distances at a strenuous pace is painful for me. Not sure if that's a standard thing for obese people, but my feet and legs end up killing me to the point of not being able to continue without a break. I tried the elliptical and I don't have those issues. I can keep my heart rate up for 45 minutes to an hour without stopping.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Neither, I grab some trainers and run or cycle outside, come rain or shine, machines do my nut in ; )
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love and prefer the treadmill because I feel like a push myself more and my arm motion is more natural. With that said, I've completely messed up my right knee over the years and can no longer run without suffering weeks of pain. Now I'm on my elliptical every day and my joints thank me for it.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I feel like a weirdo using the elliptical. Am I the only one?
  • tristahenry
    Options
    I like them both for different reasons. When I'm on the treadmill I feel like I'm accomplishing something and I love the incline. The elliptical is great for a change of pace, a break on my joints and burns those buns! Overall I prefer the great outdoors but indoor equipment is a necessary evil. I"m currently debating buying one or the other machine for the bad weather days so bump for others opinions as well.
  • Jennisgettingslim
    Options
    I like them both. The elliptical is easier on my joints but I feel I get a better work out when I use the Treadmill.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    running on the treadmill gets me way out of breath and sweaty, whereas elliptical is more of a soreness-inducing exercise and doesn't make me feel like my heart rate is getting up there as much. its kind of like the difference between running and biking (which i do a lot of also).

so i prefer the treadmill.
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The Elliptical, it always brings out the BEAST in me.

I just enjoy it more, than the treadmil. I feel like I get more bang for my... well minute.

I don't love running, but i enjoy it more outdoors than in. On the treadmil when I get tired I reduce the speed and go into a walk. On The Elliptical I can switch back and forth from letting my legs do most of the work to my arms doing most of the work.. This causes me to keep moving a lot longer than I would on a treadmill.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Elliptical, cause it's different! haha. I have a treadmill at home so now I'm really bored of it.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do both, but I would say I prefer the elliptical machine more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is superior as the motion and movement is transferable to the real world. It will make you walk easier, run easier, etc. Whereas with the elliptical, other than strengthening the heart and increasing endurance will not make real life movements that much easier. Besides that the motion on the elliptical is so unnatural that prolonged use can cause injury as the body is not designed to move like that.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I never feel like I get in a decent stride on an elliptical, kind of like being on a short leash, restricted. I am not a huge fan of treadmill running either, but it is preferable to running outside in cold wet winter weather. I can at least adjust the incline and pace to mimic road conditions somewhat. I can also set pace goals for spring. (Do I sound like I am trying to convince myself I like a deadmill?)