Overwhelmed

Options
I have had a very rough past 6 wks. Someone dear to me passed and its been rough. There's been a lot of bad these last 6 wks. I haven't worked out in 4 weeks :( SOOO AWFUL, I know. I just do not feel like it. How in the world do YOU motivate yourself after something awful has happened?! I normally LOVE working out and have no problem doing so but lately I just don't. Just looking for some ideas that may help. I've tried a few things but nothing is helping. I know time can help but I need to get my butt in gear now.

Replies

• HisEminence
    Options
    If there was an equation you could solve, or a text that you could pore through until you found the answer, it would be so easy. If there was a an omniscient self help book, or a guru for pain, we could just go to these people and places and trade our despair for joy. Ah, but none of these exist in an absolute form where solace can be found by taking a Zen-like journey.

There are no easy answers just like there are multitudes of opinions that may come your way from forum responders just like me. In the end, we all deal with pain differently, based on so many factors, including but not limited to the environment in which we grew up and the learning we have filled our minds with. No easy answers.

I have dealt with the pain life offers us with patience, a positive attitude (in time) and as much humor as i could surround myself with. A great man once told me that the great thing about pain is that it is only temporary. In time you will find a place for your pain to diminish so that you can get busy living. The desire and will to move forward, despite the ugliness we all must face from time to time, as I have found, comes from within, not without. i wish you the best of everything as you find your way.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Mourning and depression suck the energy right out of you. Things will improve. Sorry for your loss.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life gets in the way of our plans. Don't let yourself go another day of saying tomorrow I'll do it. Exercise can actually help raise your mood quite a bit. Maybe some time outside could help too, so if you could get a nice walk in a park, or a bike ride, or a jog, maybe that could help even more. Only you are going to be able to find the answer.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are grieving. You are going to go through such an array of emotions. Would it help to think " (name of person) would not want me sitting around feeling sad? but to keep going?"
    Each day will get a little better.....it might even be a miniscule amount.....but allow happy memories of this person to fill your heart.
    Grief does zap all energy from you. again.....I am so sorry. :cry:
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    Thank you all. I truly appreciate it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I truly appreciate it.

sorry to hear about the recent sadness in your life.

for some people, exercise is a way to forget the worries of everyday life for a while. not only do you get an endorphin rush during and afterward that will make you feel better, but it's a good way to just clear your mind for a short time. if you can get yourself out for a walk or a run, you might find that it helps improve your mood and helps take some of the sharp edges off of your sadness, for a time.
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

Last year, I was going through a particularly rough bout with depression. I couldn't even get out of bed. In a moment of frustration and desperation, I did a good thing--I called a therapist (instead of self medicating, as I normally would). This therapist actually talked to me on the phone for over an hour and gave me a great piece of advice for getting out of a funk. He told me, "Thoughts over feelings." Let my thoughts motivate me, not my feelings. Like I felt I couldn't get out bed and go to work, but I knew that I should. I took that advice and it helped tremendously. I was able to get the wherewithal to get my depression under control.

So, you may not feel like working out, but you know it might help you with your grief. And it doesn't have to be a full on workout. Go for a walk. Play with your kids. Your feelings and grief are right and real, but don't let the sadness take over. For certain, you will always miss your loved one. Yet, once you come to grips with the initial shock (and when someone close to you passes, there is almost always shock involved whether their death was expected or not) of losing them, you can properly deal with your grief and feel "normal" again.