STARVING!!! HELP!!!

Options
I am on the 1200cal diet and doing Insanity which I add about 400cal per 40minute workout. I am 5'5" and 155lbs right now. My main issue is (and always has been) that I always feel hungry. Any suggestions, tips, foods or helpful hints as to ways to feel full. I constantly drink water as well so forget that tip.

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories? If not, you should. If so, maybe 1200 is below your BMR.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    ive had that problem true then i started chewing gum! whenever i get hungry i just chew a stick of gum and it seems to work for me
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200cal diet and doing Insanity which I add about 400cal per 40minute workout. I am 5'5" and 155lbs right now. My main issue is (and always has been) that I always feel hungry. Any suggestions, tips, foods or helpful hints as to ways to feel full. I constantly drink water as well so forget that tip.

If you eat 1200 and subtract 400 that leaves your body only 800 calories net! You need more than 800 to survive so up your calories and you will still loose.
  • nursemomruns
    nursemomruns Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WHAT are you eating? If I eat a bunch of refined carbs, I feel hungry all the time.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I've heard other people say the gum works...also, they little turkey bites, like turkey jerky are filling, not sure abt. the sodium, though.
  • spangey13
    Options
    :smile:
    If you are able to make your diary public people might be able to give you a little more help. When I first started I found that I was constantly hungry.

Maybe try a little protein bar, or a drink. Also I have found that a cup of tea does the trick for me. Nothing herbal or fancy, just a plain cup of tea.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Break your meals up into smaller meals so you can eat more often. Example: have a breakfast of turkey bacon and an egg, then a fiber bar as a snack later in the morning. Keep each meal around 300 calories or so and eat a small snack in between each meal.

Eat more often but eat less :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that being starving is your bodies way of telling you that you need to eat more. You are probably eatign below BMR which is not great for your body. If you keep it up too long you'll be tired and unhealthy and probably break in a big way by binging. I know it can be scary to up your daily calories but give it a go. Do it 100 calories at a time and see how you feel after a week or so. Other than that you could try eating more nutrient dense foods like veggies and lean protein which will help you feel fuller.
  • melbel7680
    Options
    I add the 400 cal so really I eat like 1600cal a day. I do low carb, and the carbs I do eat are whole grain, wheat or fruit. I have an egg turkey bacon or turkey sausage every morning, usually veggies and dressing or fruit for snacks, a salad with vinegarette dressing and a protien and veggie for dinner. I just never feel satisfied with anything I eat
  • an8e
    an8e Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I find grazing on fruit during the day and then having a large serving of chicken and mashed sweet potato for dinner keeps me satisfied!
    And HEAPS of water!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, you need to eat more. 1200 is not really meant for people who are already very close to a healthy weight, like you are.

This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't try to be too aggressive when setting your weight-loss Goal here. Keep this in mind when using the tools to set up your goals:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

So change your Goals to be less aggressive. If you are constantly hungry, you're doing it wrong. :flowerforyou:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend seeing a dietitian to figure out what your daily calorie needs really are. MFP just gives an estimate, which can easily be inaccurate.
  • gsusiam
    Options
    How long have you been on this 1200 cal diet..?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend seeing a dietitian to figure out what your daily calorie needs really are. MFP just gives an estimate, which can easily be inaccurate.
    I would even use MFP calorie suggestions.

This is a good read.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • GoldenShah
    GoldenShah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there, when I first went on diet I found it helped increasing the protein in my diet. I ordered some chocolate protein bars from Natures best and ate half a bar mid-morning and half a bar mid-afternoon, and that helped keep the hunger pangs away! Otherwise you could make yourself a smoothie with some protein powder added and it should keep you full right through till midday! Just remember to increase your fluid intake. Best of luck!!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Try eating good quality carbs + good quality protein + lots of fruits and/or veggies at each and every meal.
    There are really only 2 possibilities, your body needs more calories, or the calories you are eating aren't substantial enough to keep you satisfied,
    its like this - if you aren't eating good quality REAL food, your done for.

Would you feel full if you drank only pepsi all day long?
    sure you'd hit your calorie mark, but you sure would be starvin' like marvin' ...

hope this puts things into perspective:)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    If you are up for it, I really recommend increasing your intake. At 1200 calories you must be in a pretty large deficit already.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There's a pretty active group here on MFP that has had good success with eating higher calories while continuing to lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • kayraven
    Options
    Well as I see you're doing high-protein. What might be good is to eat more frequently with smaller portions (but keep the same amount of cals).
    You might want to find what keeps you full better - carbs or protein. Good carbs to give a go - sweet potatoes.
    And there's always the option of snacking on apples or celery - it keeps you full, but has little calories.

My personal favorite trick is plain high-protein low-fat yogurt (if you'd be able to find kefir or ayran - you're good to go).
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    eat?