Best eating habit changes?

What change or changes to ur diet has made the most impact on ur weight/fat loss? For me personally the best thing I've done is almost completely cut out fast food. I used to eat it a lot, and just made me hungry an hr or 2 later. That and stopping my nightly bowl of ice cream. I eat it about once every cpl of weeks now.

Replies

• deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Less food. No more "Make that a large!... with a diet coke. Don't wanna get fat." at the drive thru :)
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    112 lbs lost! What an amazing accomplishment!!
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Lays potato chips, stopped buying big bags (I would eat the whole thing!!), just treat myself to a small bag now and then.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    No more meat/dairy/animal products of any kind. Best decision i have ever made, and that goes way beyond what i weigh.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    I stopped with all of the cream-based sauces and soups, eating enough for three people, and treating entire meals as snacks.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    The biggest change for me was not even opening my mouth until I knew EXACTLY what the nutrition was on what I was going to eat. If I can't count it, it isn't happening. Just being aware of what I was eating before, versus what I eat now is a major change.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Bread. I used to eat a ton of it every day. Now I don't.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Portion control and drinking more water.

I notice such a significant difference between when I drink enough water and when I don't.
  • Bread is a treat now, not a staple. And I drink less alcohol.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Fast food for me. I haven't had any since January
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Just counting calories, portioning my food in general. I am only getting started on my weight loss journey but I have always ate quite healthy, little did I know I was probably eating 2x or 3x what I should have been. So ya, portion control.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Reducing / eliminating my red wine habit. I'm not there 100% yet, but getting better.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    No pop or juice.

I think it all went uphill after I stopped craving coke.
  • Littlegurl
    Bread is a treat now, not a staple. And I drink less alcohol.

I just realized that I don't eat much bread anymore either. I got remarried in May, and my husband isn't a biscuit eater. So I don't eat biscuits with dinner anymore, and very rarely a dinner roll. I only a glass of wine about once every 2-3 months now. I never drank much, but now even less because one glass I'm happy, and 2 or more I'm drunk from weighing less and lower tolerance.
  • Littlegurl
    No pop or juice.

I think it all went uphill after I stopped craving coke.

Coke is really addictive!! I quit drinking regular Coke about a ur and half ago. And then about 2 months ago I had to give up all caffeine. Diet caffeine free is not very appealing...
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    weighing/measuring my food properly was a BIG eye opener! It made me realise how much I actually used to eat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Becoming aware of my calorie intake.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Adding more fruits and veggies 4-5 serving of each daily. Not much room for other stuff plus exploring new items
  • rst12267
    rst12267 Posts: 85 Member
    My biggest change has been to stay away from second helpings. I love to eat and easily could down two servings of everything but I now find after a few months of careful eating that I've become satisfied with just one serving. That has made all the difference for me.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Portion control and drinking more water.

I notice such a significant difference between when I drink enough water and when I don't.

Yes! I can definitely tell the difference on the days that I don't drink my normal amount of water.

I would say not eating out as much has probably been the biggest change for me. I used to go out to dinner quite a bit with friends and now I tend to either suggest a healthier restaurant option or invite a few friends over for dinner and cook for them. It's just as fun and I can control how the food is prepared which is nice.
    Also I've lowered my alcohol intake. Being that I'm in college I know it isn't realistic for me to try and give it up completely, but I have cut back quite a bit which has been really helpful to my weight loss.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Not eating within 3 hours of going to bed.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Learning that there is no such thing as good or bad food.
    Learning that eating every 3 hours is a bunch of BS.
  • The eating every few hours might be B.S. to you, I'm not saying it's helped with weightloss....but it has helped me from becoming an ogre and raiding the kitchen because I've waited too long to eat.

Not eating at night, when I'm bored. Once I'm done with my calorie allowance....that's it until the next day.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    The eating every few hours might be B.S. to you, I'm not saying it's helped with weightloss....but it has helped me from becoming an ogre and raiding the kitchen because I've waited too long to eat.

Not eating at night, when I'm bored. Once I'm done with my calorie allowance....that's it until the next day.
    I am talking about from the perspective of "speeding up" your metabolism.
  • KrayKira
    KrayKira Posts: 230
    portion control.. I now only eat for one instead of for everyone..
    & I stop when I am full I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight..

I drink water now instead of just Coke...

I snack on fruit instead of chips and lollies (I do still have chocolate occasionally)
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Now I know what I'm eating and that eating better still tastes really good and isn't very expensive. Also, I don't drink much anymore (use to only drink socially but barely do that now too) and have mostly lost a taste for it.

Oh and hotdogs are the devil!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Controlling my general calorie intake (of course!) and managing it with exercise 6 times a week

More protein

Limiting refined carbs

Eating OFTEN and making healthy mini meals/snacks for myself! :happy:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Minimized (nearly cut out) candy, snack cakes and cookies. Minimized (but still periodically consume) ice cream. Minimized (just try to find healthier alternatives) fried foods... If I can get fish baked or grilled, I opt for that rather than fried... I do eat granola bars and protein bars in lieu of the candy... yes they are loaded with calories (in many cases) but usually not as many and offer some nutrition in return for the calories.. I also opt for more fruits and vegetables. I do still go over my calorie count many times -- as my weight has dropped I find it harder to stay within the bounds (when I was over 100 lbs overweight, my caloric allowances were higher... BUT I do still burn quite a few calories and have not really had any weight gain.. In fact, I have dropped at least a couple of pounds each month since I started in January so I feel I sm still on track though I am not losing quite as fast as I once was.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    smaller plate at dinner, not as much alcohol (used to binge every saturday), less fast food, less mindless eating just because im bored.

edit: also less chips and dip. whole bag of potato chips and onion soup + (whole can of) reduced cream dip.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Oh and buffets... They are great BUT rather than 4-5 entrees, I load up on more salads and vegetables and minimize the entrees... Also once again, opt for baked chicken rather than fried... This is not to say I NEVER eat fried... Fried Catfish is hard to beat... but I do it in reasonable quantities and don't order the all you can eat version any more.