swelling is it pms??

Options
I never paid a lot of attention to my body because I DIDN"T CARE..now I know that i swell with or around my period..but this is week 8 of my journey..and i am swelling so bad..I weigh on fridays..Was so happy then I always check on Mondays just to get an idea..and well...i was up 5lbs!!! all under calories and did my exercise etc...Now i notice more and more swelling. I am drinking to stay flushed out..but man...i feel tight in my waist...it's frustrating. now I know why guys lose faster..So should I expect a crappy week each month or even more because of this..It's not fair..My ankles and hands a hugely swollen[ i weigh a lot so I know that's part of it]
Ideas please

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Do you swell only around that time of the month? Try not to weigh yourself during that time if it affects you.
    And do you mean swelling or bloating?
  • Every woman bloats, swells, gains weight, and is just plain miserable during their period. You aren't some special case. It's completely normal. Relax.
  • amham11
    Options
    I would say that if you are just experiencing this during your 'time of the month' don't be overly concerned.. but if you continue to be swollen you should possibly check with your doctor. Swelling isn't normal if you are getting enough fluids.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have found that a few days of exercising enough to work up a good sweat for the few days leading up to and during the start of, TOM, really have kept my former bloating, swelling, and cramping at bay. I used to be the kind of lady who had to lie in bed in pain from cramps, but since changing my lifestyle and exercising 6 days a week, losing weight, and watching out for excess sodium intake, I don't even gain water weight as TOM rolls around. I even lost weight this time!

You are doing the right thing by drinking plenty. That's a great start! Try walking at a pace that raises your heart rate and makes you feel tired, but in a good way, when you're finished. That does help a lot! Good luck!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself for the week that surrounds my period. Or if I do, I just look at the scale to see how much insane water weight I'm carrying -- this month I put on EIGHT pounds overnight! -- and then a couple of days after my period was done, they were gone. I don't EVER log my gains, since they're transitory and things always even out in the end. As long as the overall trend is down or at least steady, it's all good.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my first TOM since joining mfp was scary as hell! dont weigh during that time wait a day or two after its over.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Its probably your period, but you can keep an eye on sodium and try eating more potassium rich foods to help offset it. You might want to download a cycle tracker app (free.) So you can know when to expect it in the future.

Its not real weight, its just water. If you keep your intake in check, you can expect to be the same size you started or even a bit smaller once its passed.
  • KimZM
    KimZM Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you swell only around that time of the month? Try not to weigh yourself during that time if it affects you.
    And do you mean swelling or bloating?

both ankles and hands swelling....bloating i felt big as a house..which I kind of am but had been feeling...thinner per se LOL
  • KimZM
    KimZM Posts: 21
    Options
    my first TOM since joining mfp was scary as hell! dont weigh during that time wait a day or two after its over.

Ok will try. thanks....frustrated cuz it's starting like a week before and then comes in waves...i don't know what's going on