What differences does WATER make?

Options
I read a few threads with people saying how much of a difference water makes and that they even notice "differences" once they increase their water intake. Can I get more specific answers - What do you notice that is so different once you drink more water?

Replies

• ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Biggest difference - you go from peeing twice a day to about 200
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Haha. Yup.

Bearing in mind I've only been doing it for a few days, I feel a lot more hydrated. I know that's the obvious answer, but you don't really realise how thirsty other drinks actually make you until you stop drinking them. For example, a Coke or something can seem like it's rehydrating you, but the whole diuretic thing generally means that, half an hour later, you're thirsty again - yet your brain is telling you that you just drank.

I've been drinking a lot more water over the past few days, and found that it's almost second-nature now. Rather than waiting until I'm thirsty enough to make some squash/go to the shop, I just grab the bottle next to me. I don't even notice I'm doing it sometimes.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As per others - even over the longer term, haven't noticed any specific benefits with only real difference being more toilet breaks.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options

you beat me to it!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bellaburch85
    Options
    The other thing ive notice otherthan going to the loo a lot is My skin is a lot softer and looks more alive! Which i really like! :) But that could be from the water or the diet im trying i dotn know! ;)
  • E2015
    E2015 Posts: 8
    Options
    Toilet visit increases, yep that's for sure
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    When I'm drinking plenty of water I always think my eyes and skin look brighter. And I like to think it helps flush everything through your system more easily. But I agree that the extra toilet time is a pain, especially at night.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

truth. but you feel cooler, cleaner and more hydrated inside. and all that peeing keeps your body from storing the water on you. it can also help you control how much you eat and munch. ie, drink whole bottle before a meal then eat, and if feeling munchy drink a bottle. it also helps you cut out worse drinks, you can feel the difference drinking a soda with HFCS and drinking water. And its good for when you sweat! plus good for skin! also I think high blood pres.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Google Kreb cycle.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My skin feels far softer, no more blotches, oh and at TOM I no longer get sore boobs so that's a wonderful side-effect, probably the increase in water and reduction in sodium combined :happy:
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Definitely have noticed a huge improvement with my skin. Used to be extremely dry and blotchy but so much clearer and softer. Also helps keep your appetite in control.
  • TahliaHarveysMummy
    Options
    I find after a couple of days of upping my water intake the peeing thing goes back to normal! That might be just me?! If i have a bad weekend where i don't drink as much then Tuesday i'm terrible for going but then it settles back down again!! I've yet to see the benefits of my skin clearing up - still get spots and dry skin :sad: - but i find most of the time it DOES curb my appetite, whichis always a good thing!
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Definitely agree on this one - which in turn reduces water retention which aids weight loss - I only started a decent amount of water yesterda - as said above - I peed like a 100 times - weighed this morning and lost 0.9lb's - first loss in 2 weeks.

It may be a coincidence but pretty sure the peeing helped!
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    Maybe the following reasons would tell you the difference it makes other than peeing 200 times / day :)

1.Lose weight: Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less. Plus, water has zero calories. Here are the further details on how to achieve fat loss by drinking water.

2.Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although many reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.

3.Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increases skin elasticity.

4.Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrated.

5.Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. That means you’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises. Water also helps to fuel your muscle.

6.Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.

7.Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.

8.Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. In another words one of the benefits of drinking water is that it can improve your immune system. Follow this link for further information on how lemon water can improve your health.

9.Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks water, your heart, for instance, needs to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so will you.

10.Good Mood: Your body feels very good and that’s why you feel happy.

11.Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    I find after a couple of days of upping my water intake the peeing thing goes back to normal! That might be just me?! If i have a bad weekend where i don't drink as much then Tuesday i'm terrible for going but then it settles back down again!! I've yet to see the benefits of my skin clearing up - still get spots and dry skin :sad: - but i find most of the time it DOES curb my appetite, whichis always a good thing!

You're right!! At first when I would drink 3L of water/day, I would pee all the time, but now my bladder's stronger!! Then again, I do sweat a whole bunch in the gym :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I feel more alert, less sluggish, and all my digestive system seems to work well.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It keeps me fit as the toilet is down 2 flights of steps so I am always up and down! But other than that I just feel better, my skin looks better and it keeps me from nibbling snacks too much.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it happens but every time I drink loads (at least 3 litres) or more if i've been doing a lot of exercise, my scale weight starts moving again. If it's been static for quite a while I know I haven't been drinking enough water.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It increases your metabolic rate (apparently) I just drink it because the coffee in the office tastes like cat piss.