ELLIPTICAL vs TREADMILL. Your thoughts please?

Options

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    A mix of both to keep my cardio interesting. My gym also hase those Gazelle type machines as well, have to try that.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on the treadmill then the elliptical. I have both at home and use the treadmill more.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Cybex Arc Trainer - 100 different resistance levels and 10 different arcs (angles of rotation) working both arms and legs. Thousands of different work outs on one machine. Treadmill is an indoor replacement for walking or running outdoors - great when it's snowing or raining too hard. But all the inclines and speeds can be found and done outside. The Cybex Arc Trainer can't be duplicated without the machine.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    No preference. I pick up the weights and lift heavy, but if I must do cardio then its plain old jumping jacks, sprints on either machine or the stairmaster.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Neither. I'd rather run outside in any weather than set foot on either machine ever again.
  • chelljo12
    chelljo12 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have both, but prefer the Elliptical. I am trying to get into running so on most days I will start with running on the treadmill then switch to the elliptical.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Never been on an elliptical. ._.

I would love a treadmill for the long Minnesota winters. Trying to clear enough space in my storage room so I can put one out there eventually. It's a process.
  • alaty211
    alaty211 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    (((((ELLIPTICAL))))) lol I love that machine, more calories burned in less time!
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    i rather jump rope than do either
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer the treadmill out of the two. I like to do HIIT workouts and I feel like they're not as effective for me on the elliptical.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I like them both. The elliptical is easier on my joints but I feel I get a better work out when I use the Treadmill.

This^^^:happy:
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Stationary/outdoor biking because I always seem to burn at least 100 more calories on the bike in the same amount of time as either of the methods mentioned.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    No preference though right now.. I hate the Treadmill.

When the body adapts to one - its time to switch it up and punch it up on the other. So as I scale the treadmill UP and the elliptical DOWN... 5 weeks from now I will hate the Elliptical when I change it around. I do like that if I need to run I can do that ANYwhere!! That's so handy...
  • purrywinkle
    Options
    Treadmill, all day every day
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Elliptical, if you use the one with the arms it gives you an awesome work out....and you can tell it's better and works ya harder
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Neither, I grab some trainers and run or cycle outside, come rain or shine, machines do my nut in ; )

^^ my hero ^^
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Studies show that treadmills are far more accurate in calories burned than on the elliptical.

I choose the treadmill. :)
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Elliptical
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    6 months ago, I would have said elliptical, but lately I prefer the treadmill. Usually I'll use it for HIIT, and it's nice to have the controls for speed & time right in front of me. Sometimes I use it on the random setting for "hills" though.

I think it's impossible to say which one burns more calories though, since depending on intensity, incline, and speed, either one could burn more than the other.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I prefer elipticsl because its better for your knees. But I also interval train on the treadmill and spin 3-4 days a week. In addition I do weights.