Convince me about running

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Buy a bike.

Pass runners...

Buy a bike, but run on your off days. Never get bored!
  • jeansummers
    Options
    I am 65 years old and still running. My daughter and I run the Christmas Rush in Madison, Ga every December. We have been doing this for 21 years. After the race, we shop and have lunch. If I quit running, I would miss this wonderful day with my daughter.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If you're on an iPhone, you can download C25kFree, which is the app I use. Like the others have said, it builds you up to longer distances, while giving you a rest day in between each run. The rest day and the interval training were both integral in getting me started. I'm actually still doing the program, though I've already run my first 5k (at just over a 10 min/mi pace), and have my second 5k tomorrow.

I also hated running, but wanted to get in a good workout without joining a gym (money was tight), and have found running to be an efficient, excellent workout for me.

Good luck to you!

ETA: I also bike and/or lift weights on my off days.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way so I started training for a half marathon (completed on 11/3/12). Next week, I am starting training for my second half marathon, so I guess whatever was in the Kool-Aid worked.

Also, I bought new shoes which has helped with joint issues, knee problems, and shin splints.

I'm not a great runner but my desire to get better keeps me pushing through (not to mention, the faster you can go, the quicker those miles are over...)

Good luck!

I agree with finding the right shoes. I bought $110 shoes and I was having all kinds of ankle and knee pain, nevermind crazy blisters on my feet after running. I figured I just wasn't made to run. When those shoes died I didn't have much money and bought $55 asics, and my world changed. I have never had any pain since, and I fell in love with running because of how it helped me lose weight and how I feel afterwards, and I swear that with every pound I lose, running is 3X easier/more rewarding. So weird, but true.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm not huge on running either but decided recently that I need a challange and would like to do a 1/2 marathon. I'm redoing C25K to get back into running and to get used to running outside in the cold. I am also going to go to an actual running store and spend the extra bucks for shoes. I always get cheap and just pick a pair at the discount shoe store but I think I need to be fitted and get a pair that really fits my stride and whether my feet are pronated, etc. My friends who run always say the right shoes are important.

Also be patient with yourself. No one is able to just get up and run, you have to ease your body into it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you need convincing then frankly I don't want to convince you. Why? Because on top of being one of the best ways of getting fit, running is a basic survival skill. And when the **** hits the fan, I don't want to be the slowest runner in the group. So go on, carry on with your not-running. Means those of us who practice at it will come out on top. Because you know what they say, you don't have to be faster than the bear. You just have to be faster than the guy next to you.

EDIT: For the record, I used to be like you. I still am. I hate running. But I do it anyway for practicality's sake. C25K, an Australian Shepherd, a good pair of shoes, and a soundtrack consisting of cheesy training montage music from '80s film soundtracks did it for me.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Ok, the reason why I want to be 'the joiner' is that I secretly craved being able to run. I was a power lifter in college and spent an enormous amount of time, money, etc in the gym. I like the idea of being able to run simply because it is something I can do just about anywhere. Because I am a consultant on the road, I need to be able to find an activity that allows for this.

I have hit a great weight loss goal. It was what I believe was hindering me from picking up running before. All that extra weight on the joints wasn't a good idea. I think that I am ready to step of to the plate.

These are great reasons. You can do it!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ok, the reason why I want to be 'the joiner' is that I secretly craved being able to run. I was a power lifter in college and spent an enormous amount of time, money, etc in the gym. I like the idea of being able to run simply because it is something I can do just about anywhere. Because I am a consultant on the road, I need to be able to find an activity that allows for this.

I think that I am ready to step of to the plate.

You are already a runner. If you want, you do.

I am an on again off again runner.
    One of the things that got me back into running was "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" because I enjoy Murakami so much.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to join this cult? There are lots of cults to join....gym rats, soccer teams, hikers etc. Why running? What pulls you to it? The only way you will get the motivation is to dig deep inside yourself and figure out your "why".

This. I love running--I just ran a half marathon weekend before last. If you don't like to run, don't do it! There are tons of other activities you might find more enjoyable!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you need convincing then frankly I don't want to convince you. Why? Because on top of being one of the best ways of getting fit, running is a basic survival skill. And when the **** hits the fan, I don't want to be the slowest runner in the group. So go on, carry on with your not-running. Means those of us who practice at it will come out on top. Because you know what they say, you don't have to be faster than the bear. You just have to be faster than the guy next to you.
    :laugh:
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to join this cult? There are lots of cults to join....gym rats, soccer teams, hikers etc. Why running? What pulls you to it? The only way you will get the motivation is to dig deep inside yourself and figure out your "why".

This. I love running--I just ran a half marathon weekend before last. If you don't like to run, don't do it! There are tons of other activities you might find more enjoyable!
    This:happy:
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Form.... check that running form. Don't strick on your heals... it makes running easier on your joints and a lot more enjoyable.
    Go for it, if it's what you want to do!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This:happy:

I see where you are coming from.....but I have to say that when you are bigger, it's easy to "hate" running, but to still have a desire to do it. Running is like that thing you should be able to do, but can't. Running is what fat people can't do. So, it's almost like proving that you are getting fit, you are making progress, you are changing, if you are able to run.

A lot of people who start out like that end up loving it. Because once you make yourself do it for a few weeks, you get hooked. You get the runner's high, you get the feeling of empowerment, and you know that you NEED to keep running.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making yourself do it to start. If you don't like it, you can quit. But maybe it will be the start of something really great.
  • hippietrailbadass
    Options
    Join the trail running subculture. We're a weird group. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'll say it. Don't run, We need some slow folk for when "they" come to devour us all.

I think someone said, heal toe strike, and really shoes shoes shoes shoes. Makes a big difference.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Buy a bike.

Pass runners...

I've passed many a biker on the uphill sections, just sayin'. :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It's my THERAPY! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have hated and avoided running my whole life. I realize now it was mostly because I couldn't do it. I couldn't go very far or very fast and it hurt when I tried. I've dropped almost 30 lbs and runnning is a lot easier now. I started on an elliptical and strength training. I started losing weight, I started building up endurance. One day I got bored with the elliptical and tried the spin bike that was even more boring and left me feeling like I didn't get a workout. Then I tried the treadmill and found a challenging workout that applied to real life. I started running outside and now I enjoy running.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
    --John Bingham
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I get up at dark thirty to run and to me it's a peaceful way to wake up. This is my time. Running resets my mind and spirit.

The morning slowly comes alive, silently at first with the only sound being my footsteps and breath. As the season changes so do the sounds & smells, crunching of leaves and acorns....the wonderful smells that transport me back to lost memories of my childhood, the flowers, foliage, and early morning breakfast of coffee and bacon....

My work requires travel and I often stay for months in one place & running helps me to tune in to my new environment. I have a sailboat on Galveston Bay and when working in Houston I live aboard; and one of my favorite runs is through the Kemah Boardwalk along the bay..... smelling the wonderful scents of the waterfront & loving the sounds of the water murmuring for me to slow down and enjoy....and then through the darken and silent carnival rides....eery....I am alone. I have seen horror movies with scenes like this, but I dont quicken my step, because I am now also a vibrant beast.

And if I paced myself just right, I am totally and perfectly on.

When is the last time you really had time to enjoy this type of world?
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. Always have. I've never experienced "runner's high", and I never understood my crazy friends who ENJOYED going for a run.

but, a few months ago, I decided that I'm doing ok with my diet, but I need to up the physical activity. I started with walking. 10 min a day. Went up by 5 min each week. Eventually, on my 20min walks, I thought "I bet I could jog, just a little bit. It would be good for me." And I did. Then I launched the C25K app that I'd downloaded (a year ago) and never used. And I gave it a shot.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks into C25K now. I actually DID get up before sunrise today to get my workout in, because I won't be able to do it tonight, and I don't want to get behind this week, especially with thanksgiving tomorrow.

And I have to say- my attitude is slowly changing. While I don't really LOVE my workouts, and I certainly don't think "gee I can't wait to get home and go run!", I am definitely really proud of what I've accomplished, and I feel really good at myself after I do it. If you had ever told me that I would even be CONSIDERING running a 5K race, I would have laughed at you. But now I think "you know what, I *CAN* do this, and that's amazing."

And the one other simple plus to running is- all you need is shoes. No gym membership, no fancy equipment. Just put on your shoes and get out there.

You can do this!

(but like others said, if you really do hate it... there are plenty of other activities out there. And the best exercise is simply the one you LIKE, and will actually do.)

Good luck!!