Convince me about running

Replies

• rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    I'm a new runner myself and had to take a small hiatus due to neck surgery. But I do get up early in the morning and run but I started with the Couch to 5K to get rolling. It makes it nice and smooth. I tried this years before and my knees did not like it a bit. Since I started working out, to the pushing of my mother-in-law, I started taking Osteo Bi-Flex and not sure if that's what helped but it has the "joint shield" in it and I have NEVER had any joint pain in it. I do believe that once you do it and feel the "ah" of it, you will love it. When I had to stop it was really hard on my psyche, I really craved to run again and just got the ok from the doctor to do it and can't wait.
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    One day I realised I wanted to change my eating and exercise habits, joined the gym and hit the treadmill. People love it, people hate it. Good research for it and bad, all I know is I love it. I love setting my self goals and hitting them, I enjoy running when usually I would just watch it on the telly with a bag of crisps and a can of coke lol. There's days when it hurts and I don't want too, but I push through and feel better for it. But that's just me! :)
  • Wow. this brought me to tears! I recently lost my dad, and I so miss the things I did with him! Great memories that you are building! I really admire that!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Why do you want to join this cult? There are lots of cults to join....gym rats, soccer teams, hikers etc. Why running? What pulls you to it? The only way you will get the motivation is to dig deep inside yourself and figure out your "why".

This. I love running--I just ran a half marathon weekend before last. If you don't like to run, don't do it! There are tons of other activities you might find more enjoyable!
    This:happy:

I see where you are coming from.....but I have to say that when you are bigger, it's easy to "hate" running, but to still have a desire to do it. Running is like that thing you should be able to do, but can't. Running is what fat people can't do. So, it's almost like proving that you are getting fit, you are making progress, you are changing, if you are able to run.

A lot of people who start out like that end up loving it. Because once you make yourself do it for a few weeks, you get hooked. You get the runner's high, you get the feeling of empowerment, and you know that you NEED to keep running.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making yourself do it to start. If you don't like it, you can quit. But maybe it will be the start of something really great.
    I get that. Even at my heaviest (220) when I WANTED to run but it was hard, I never said I HATED it. No it wasn't fun at first but I just wanted to get better at it. Running is not for everyone. Simple as that. I think a lot of people get sucked into the idea that the only way to be "fit" is to run. I think the best way to be fit is to get out and be active doing something you truly enjoy. Being a "runner" is not required.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Gosh idk...I love running, I love the culture, I love the people, gratitude and accomplishment it's brought into my life. I'm not sure that I've ever hated it...even at the beginning...is it something you could learn to love? Sure I think so, but if it starts out of hatred...that just seems like a weird place to start.

It's part of who I am now and a lot of what I do today is to prepare for better performance on the road tomorrow. I think you either just need to decide you're going to do it and start a program like C25k or find something that you don't hate. Good luck to you!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    If you run you can eat more food.

I love food.

^This^

Also, start slow, build endurance, use C25k, come back feeling good, not knackered, and eventually you'll find you're running miles while still feeling good.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Running has been my primary exercise to lose weight. When I was fat, my body basically said don't run fatty. My joint hurts, my lungs hurt, it sucked. But as the weight came off, it got easier. I set running goals and as I met them and passed them I started to enjoy it. Now, it's fun for me. My advice, stay off the treadmill. I get that sometimes it's easier, but get outside. There is so much more to see and places to run.

On the flip side, you need to find something you enjoy enough to do on a regular basis. If you force yourself to run or like running, you will be more inclined to quit. So maybe look to start with weight lifting, walking, riding a bike, whatever. Then when you lose some more weight, maybe running will be more appealing to you.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I hate running... I know that before I can ever start running I need to change my thinking, maybe even the words that I use, when I think about running. None are very pleasant.

However, I am a big guy. I have on occasion, gotten up from the couch to go run a mile. Maybe I was inspired by a movie, maybe, I was just a glutton for punishment. Either way I was able to struggle through... in pain.

I hate the sore joints, and I can only remember once the 'runner's high' achieved as a child running for the track and field team. (I threw shot put and discus. I had to run as part of the team, not by choice.)

So why this cult of shoe and road? What is it that makes it possible for you to get up early in the morning and trudge five or ten miles no matter the weather?

I am interested in joining the cult... even have the dixie cup held out for my daily dose of Kool-Aid... Just need a nudge in the right direction.

I hated running when I started over 30 years ago. It was back in the day when they first came out with the Sony Walkman cassette player (LOL). They were expensive but I bought one and it was the only way I could run (can you imagine having to rewind a song to play it again!! and it wore the battery down fast). If my batteries died so did my run. But I got stronger as I continued and once you get conditioned you crave it, but you have to push through for awhile to get to the conditioned stage.

Running became my friend. It was the only thing consistent for a long time while my life had a lot of crap in it. Then it was always there during good times too and I developed happy memories. I have happy memories of running 5k and 10k races and then finally a few marathons. It just became part of my life.

But the trick for me was that as the years accumulated so did the fat, and no amount of running could make up for the fact that I simply ate a few too many calories for my size. I'm small. It didn't seem like I ate too much when I looked around me. I hate healthier than anyone I knew. I don't pig out, binge, or emotionally eat. I don't sit in front of the TV and eat, I don't even watch TV. The problem is serving sizes are designed for 6' tall men and I'm a 5'1" female. I didn't realize that, so the weight piled on and accumulated year after year (ever hear them say typically 10 lbs per decade?), well that is just because if you never take steps to eat at a slight calorie deficit you will keep accumulating it. I kept thinking maybe if I train for another marathon I will lose it. Nope, I finally learned you can't out exercise too many calories. Once learned to cut calories, and put weight training first and cardio 2nd then I finally changed my shape at age 50. I never stopped running, but I put weight training first.

Since I lost 60 lbs at age 50 people around me in my life are inspired, people at work, people at the gym, everyone has seen me transform into a new person. I met an event coordinator at my gym who is going to have me speak about it at the next Marin County half Marathon in March. I'm going to run it as well. I'm hoping that at age 50 I can beat my time from my 30's because I'm 20-30 lbs lighter compared to then and my weight training leg work has made my running performance better. I want to prove you can be a good runner even when you lift heavy. Anyway, I'm glad I never quit running. I'm super excited to give the little chat at the run as well as to run it.

So, running is an acquired taste. :)
  • Wow. this brought me to tears! I recently lost my dad, and I so miss the things I did with him! Great memories that you are building! I really admire that!

Sorry this was in response to Jeansummers post... I guess among my tears I did not hit quote. =)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Why do you want to join this cult? There are lots of cults to join....gym rats, soccer teams, hikers etc. Why running? What pulls you to it? The only way you will get the motivation is to dig deep inside yourself and figure out your "why".

This. I love running--I just ran a half marathon weekend before last. If you don't like to run, don't do it! There are tons of other activities you might find more enjoyable!
    This:happy:

I see where you are coming from.....but I have to say that when you are bigger, it's easy to "hate" running, but to still have a desire to do it. Running is like that thing you should be able to do, but can't. Running is what fat people can't do. So, it's almost like proving that you are getting fit, you are making progress, you are changing, if you are able to run.

A lot of people who start out like that end up loving it. Because once you make yourself do it for a few weeks, you get hooked. You get the runner's high, you get the feeling of empowerment, and you know that you NEED to keep running.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making yourself do it to start. If you don't like it, you can quit. But maybe it will be the start of something really great.
    I get that. Even at my heaviest (220) when I WANTED to run but it was hard, I never said I HATED it. No it wasn't fun at first but I just wanted to get better at it. Running is not for everyone. Simple as that. I think a lot of people get sucked into the idea that the only way to be "fit" is to run. I think the best way to be fit is to get out and be active doing something you truly enjoy. Being a "runner" is not required.

I get that too - and I'm all for people doing whatever motivates them!

I just know that I did use the word "hate" and quite frequently and now my Christmas list is filled with running gear :laugh:

So, it's possible to make the switch. For some, it just needs to be done (even briefly) to prove that it can be done. It's sort of like eating your veggies.....a lot of people come on here and complain about having to eat them, and we all say "suck it up and do it anyway because it's good for you." Maybe running is like that for some. And then maybe, you figure out that you really like it - like you might really like some veggies. And maybe not and that's ok too.
  • For me, running is a kind of gold standard of cardio fitness. Though I like things like biking, spinning, and step, running is a kind of reality check because I know what I was able to do at age 21, 25, and 30.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Buy a bike.

Pass runners...

I've passed many a biker on the uphill sections, just sayin'. :)

That was you?

*shakes fist*
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    I spent nearly 20+ years "wanting" to be a runner, but hating running! Started in my teens when I ridiculously thought I could try out for the track team. . .FAIL!!!

So, I spent my teens, 20s and 99% of my 30s. . .wanting to be a runner, but convinced I just plain hated it.

That started to change about 3.5 months before my 40th bday. My church organized a 5k fundraiser for a ministry called Feed My Starving Children (google it. . .they ROCK!). Anway, I signed up thinking I was in decent shape. . had been working out and losing some weight for a few months. . .a 5k should be no problem. Except. . .I couldn't run a full mile continuously. After what I'll simply say was a DISMAL 5k that HOT Memorial Day in 2011. . .I was p!ssed! I spent all of June ruminating on that miserable failure of a 5k endeavor. So, I made the decision to start training myself to be able to continuously run (jog) a 5k starting July 1. It took nearly till my bday in Sept to make the full 5k jogging. . .then I signed up for my first "official" 5k.

It was about a month past my 40th bday and I was REALLY anxious. I didn't want to get lapped by some 70 year old woman! So I ran, and being a novice went out WAY too fast! Ended up taking a 30 second walk break, but finished respectablly at 26:29. Turns out, I was 2nd place for my age group and I got a beer glass!!! I was a WINNER!!! The hook was set.

I won't bore you with the rest of the story, but someone planted a bug in my ear about a half marathon for Spring 2012. . . I did it and another one this past September and a 15k this past weekend. What drives me?? finding out how fast I can get. Setting a goal and reaching it. Being the "runner" amongst my friends. Being called "crazy". New running shoes. New running gear/clothes. Being in the best shape of my life. Knowing I'm setting a great example for my kids. And the feel of the air on my face and the sun on my back. That's my "kool aid". . .Don't know if it helps fill you dixie cup, but I'd say give it a chance to grow on you. You may surprise yourself!!!
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    There's a saying... "The first step is always the hardest." And it couldn't be more true. I get up early and run in the warmer months, and seriously dread it until I'm about 1km into my run. It's only then that I remember why I do this and why I love it. The more you do it, the more you will learn to enjoy it. I also love running because you can always push yourself, always a new goal to strive for... Run longer, run faster. It's great! Good luck to you!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Ok I'll bite. Two & a half years ago I was just beginning my weight loss effort, a seemingly impossible task. But I definitely didn't want to be morbidly obese any more so it was my only other alternative. I had been walking 2-3x a week & had started flailing about on the weight machines at my gym with regularity...then one day I saw a woman almost my size jogging on the treadmill. I couldn't help but think how amazing she was, because even if I thought my body could handle it, I was far too self-conscious to try.

I thought about her all the way up to the following day, which happened to be really dead in the gym. Since no one was around, I figure what the hell, I'll give it a go. After a couple minutes of walking, I took off on a lumbering jog for 30 seconds & didn't die. No way! During my 30-40 minute session I threw in a few more 30 second jogs & felt pretty damn proud of myself by the time I was done.

I looking at C25K but since I was >100 lbs overweight I knew I couldn't do it in 9 weeks, but after that first try I DID believe I could do it. That was new. I modified it so the progression was much more gradual, & required myself to be consistent with my training. Three times a week I would faithfully get on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes & work on my running, together with slowing down the progression of the running intervals, that made the vast majority of my workouts very manageable & not torturous at all. Very few of them were truly awful, & many were downright AMAZING. If I got stuck & couldn't sustain 5-minute jogging intervals for the duration of the workout, I just repeated it until I could before moving on.

Initially I got hooked on running because it proved to me over & over again that my body is capable of more than I thought. Then I started running outdoors & appreciating more of the other stuff running allows you to enjoy, just like Doodlewhopper mentioned. Then I signed up for & ran my first 5k race a year & a half ago. Instant addiction. Up to this point I was the only one cheering myself on in my head. To have complete strangers cheering me on & telling me I rule was a whole nother level of awesome. I needed more of THAT.

Enter 10k training. Long story short, I did yet another thing I didn't think my body was capable of, & even signed up for another 10k the following month. My race addiction escalated this year...I've done 9 races since Jan from 1 mile to duathlon to half marathon. And by the end of this year it will be 12 races.

Signing up for races keeps me dedicated to my training. Knowing there's an end goal I've already committed to goes a long way to keep me from slacking on the weekly workouts. I also discovered that if you really push yourself to commit to that training every week, even when it kinda sucks, you can make sure you have the best possible performance on race day. I trained hard for 4 months straight for the 3 biggest races of my life, & I Kicked *kitten* at all of them. I couldn't be more proud.

Running has given me my confidence back. I'm not done losing weight yet, but I know if I keep running I'll get there, & I'm enjoying the ride (run?).

*tops off your Kool-Aid*
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    The uniquely human ability to run for incredibly long periods of time is one of the traits that permitted us as a species to survive and thrive and is in our genes.

We often get conditioned to think of running in a negative way, many coaches will use it as punishment. Modern culture has convinced us that sweat is unsanitary and gross and we spend our lives seeking out labour saving devices and transportation.

So....why should you run? I can't answer that. I can only tell you why I run.

A number of years ago I was over 235lbs and could barely run around the block when I was inspired to start playing soccer again. Suffice it to say my fitness sucked, 5 minutes on the pitch and I was ready to pass out. Realizing I had to either improve my fitness or spend 90 minutes warming the bench I grudgingly chose the former. Those first miles were painful and exhausting so I decided to figure what I was doing wrong and started reading Runner's World magazine and figured out that it was a process that involved baby steps rather than trying to run a marathon over night.

So I ran (or shuffled slowly to be more accurate) for a minute and then walked, then 1 minute turned int to 2 and then 3 ......you get the picture.

One of my epiphanies came, though, when my daughter's soccer team signed up for a 5K race as a team building activity and she actually had fun! I set my target to run 1 5K in under 40 minutes in September 2009.....I made that goal (painfully - I'd trained most of the time on my treadmill as I was embarrassed to be seen running in public and had pretty bad shin splints by the 3rd km)

My other eureka moment came when I realized I was thinking about running the wrong way. It wasn't exercise or a workout, it was play time. It was my opportunity to be a carefree, goofy kid again even for brief periods of time......no phones, no kids, no clients....just me and the running path, it was a zen experience.

Since then I've gone on to run races up to half-marathon distances (the feeling you get when you find you can actually run 5k or 10 k or more is indescribable) and am in training for a full marathon next May.

Approach your running methodically and train progressively, be consistent and have fun!
  • hahaha I used to be the same way! Honestly, there are still days I hate it, but I know if I don't do it, I'll hate NOT doing it even more. It's not always easy, it's not always fun or pleasant, but the way you feel after you've accomplished it is ALWAYS amazing!!! You can do it! Give it two months - you'll be hooked! Also, note it gets easier the more you do it! :)
  • gleechick609
    gleechick609 Posts: 544 Member
    You know, I had the same thinking as well.

I can remember about 9 years ago when I tried running at night because it was cooler. I ran for one minute, got side cramps and walked back home in tears. The thought of running again after that was never a thought in my mind.

It wasn't until last July that I told my sister, "I want to start jogging. But I think I am too heavy." She turned me onto the Couch to 5K running program. I started that at around 190 lbs. I was so excited that I went to the local shoe store, bought the prettiest pair of running shoes I could find and started W1D1. It was hard. I was tired. The next day, I couldn't feel my knees. They hurt to the point where I couldn't stand or walk. I thought it was "post running aches." I gave it a day. A day didn't help either but I decided to do W1D2 anyway. Worst idea ever. The next day, my knee's were shot. I went to my doctor for a check up. I brought my shoes. As soon as he saw them, he took the shoe and slapped me on the arm with it, especially when I asked if I was too fat to run. My pain was from my shoes. They didn't support my stature and that's why I had major imflamation around my knee's. Because of my stupidity and lack of knowledge, this injury put me on the sidelines for 6 weeks which pushed my training schedule back 6 weeks.

I decided to research "newbie running" tips while I was healing and continue with my cross training. To make a long story short, I visited a RUNNING store, was fitted for correct shoes and socks and started the C25K program all over again. It was 3 times a week for 30 minutes and you did interval training. I could deal with that!

There was a 5K that I did when I was still on W5 but my sister said that she saw no reason for me not to do it. When I crossed my first finish line, tears streamed down my face. The time was 41:03 (a little over 13 min/mile). Not the best time to some people (and I did not run the whole thing) but I was happy with it because *I* finished the race and didn't give up (and also came in under my goal of 45 minutes!). After that first race, I signed up for 4 more. I was HOOKED. Each race was harder but it gave me something to work towards... new PR goals (and the awesome shirts and freebies don't hurt either! :laugh: )

With it being a year into running, I can say that I run because I CAN. There is something about being able to run a mile without stopping....2 miles without stopping.... hell....even 3.11 miles without stopping that gives me this RUSH of energy through my blood! Sure, there are weeks where I get sick of running and take a break. But I always pick up where I left off.

And let me tell you, there are times where I can not run for more than 2 miles without needing to walk. I have bad runs all the time (more in the summer because I hate the heat!) In fact, my most recent 5k on 11/17 was the FIRST 5K that I ran the ENTIRE thing without stopping and had my most recent PR time of 30:24 (beating 32:49 from March 17th, 2012). It's little things like that which make me want to train more and keep running. But it's going to take time! Just start slow and KEEP WITH IT!

Now for 2013, I have 2 big races to train for (and will train SMART this time around with less injury!) The Nike Women's Half in April (If I am picked) and the Broad Street 10 Miler!
  • petepie2
    petepie2 Posts: 6 Member
    Five months ago I got motivated to lose weight. I knew in order to lose weight I would have to work hard. The one time I lost a lot of weight in grad school, I did it by counting calories, lots of kickboxing and running. I loved how the hard exercise made me feel. That was 10 years ago.

I decided to try running again and started the C25K program. I hurt my knee in week 2. After a couple weeks of recovery, I tried again with a knee brace. After several weeks, I was able to ditch the brace and haven't had any problems. (A nice pair of running shoes were a lifesaver!) I've worked my way up to an average of 4 four-mile runs per week and have lost 33 lbs. Last weekend I bit the bullet and ran 6 miles to see if I could. I absolutely love it. I love getting into the zone of a steady breathing pattern and just going, going. I love to see what I'm capable of. I love the feeling that I've just worked hard. I love not having to go to the gym to exercise; I can just head out my front door and either run my neighborhood and run in the park nearby. I love running!!
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    If you run you can eat more food.

I love food.

Ok. Sold!

As to all of you who said don't run because we need slower folks for the coming apocalypse.... *Geez* if you only knew how prepped I am for something like that. However, the first rule of zombie apocalypse..."Cardio"

So. I am a joiner. Now to find one of those dagnab 'running' stores to find a good pair of shoes.