Anyone on MFP drinking meal replacement shakes?

Options

Replies

• dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    10 egg whites, 500ml semi skimmed milk, 100g oats and one scoop of protein to flavour.. Yum Yum

ohh and blend lol
  • sjiphone
    sjiphone Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good day MFP community.I am new to MFP,I am finding it so hard to lose weight and stay focused and motivated.Is there anyone that uses or used meal replacement shakes and has had success losing weight and keeping it off?I would really appreciate your input.Thank. You

I usually drink a protein shake in the morning made from frozen blueberries, whey powder and coconut water. It fills me up and I don't eat a big breakfast. I think that all shakes have the same thing in common, they contain less calories than a full meal. If drinking a shake helps you lose weight then go for it. But remember that it takes time to shed the pounds put on by years of bad eating. It took me about 18 months to shed 60 lbs and I've been able to maintain my weight for the past few months.

Exercise more and eat less is my mantra. The weight will come off - maybe a bit more slowly than we would like, but keep at it. You'll get there. :smile:
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast most days instead of oatmeal that I used to have. I've reduced carbs per my endo and dietician guidance. Doing this change, plus my weight drop allowed me to drop one med I took for diabetes.

I take the protein shake, add almond milk, some cinnamon for flavor and some organic peanut butter. it keeps me full at about 260 calories for the morning
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't and I must say I'm too keen on the idea (for me personally), but I just won a box of Shakeology samples so I guess I'll give them a try. I doubt I'll like them enough to choose them over food, but you never know. I just got them last night so haven't tried them yet.
  • d3nise
    d3nise Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Like a few others on here, I drink the GNC total lean shakes (good protein and vitamins/minerals) every morning and sometimes i'll have a piece of fruit. I am not a big breakfeast person during the week, so like someone else mentioned it stops me from overeating at lunch time. Occassionally, will have as a snack if in a hurry.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I do use a protein, but not a meal replacement, drink. I find it hard to keep my carbs and protein in balance, (very carb sensitive, allergies to wheat and grains) . I eat normal meals, protein, lots of veg, carb, etc...I can barely make a 1200 calorie day and keep a lower fat portion. These drinks ( I use Oh Yeah for the taste) save my day each day, I can manipulate how much I drink, and fill up my protein quota depending upon my food schedule.

The best tasting, low fat ones come from a GNC, or a health food store, or a body builder's supply. While I don't follow a body builder's regime so to speak, they do know how to decrease fat/bmi and increase muscle...and I have learned that when you lose 'fat' you automatically are losing muscle. So they work at keeping the protein in the system (and excercise), to keep the much needed muscle ( which burns fat); protein builds muscle, and that is how I look at it. Whew!

Long response, thought sharing this with you might help you look at how to use these kinds of supplements without becoming reliant on them.....
  • Reubinski
    Reubinski Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use the Slimfast meal replacement shakes for breakfast (as I drive to work), then have a small lunch and a decent meal for dinner. This, in addition to exercising, has been good for me. Nothing really beats a well-planned meal, but the meal replacement shakes are good if you are a bit short on time.
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use the Visalus shakes. I have at least one per day (made with milk or almond milk and frozen berries). The first one I have in the morning and if I have a second one, It's usually mid afternoon if my lunch doesn't fill me up. The nutrition is excellent so they are great as a supplement and can be used to keep up fitness when at good weight (I know body builders who drink them too).

If I didn't have a shake in the morning it would be too long from when I woke up to when I get a chance to actually eat anything. So far, 12 lbs in 2 weeks.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    Exercise more and eat less is my mantra. The weight will come off - maybe a bit more slowly than we would like, but keep at it. You'll get there. :smile:

^^^^^^This is on the money and whilst it sounds easy enough. it's not, it takes time and patience. About four month ago I used protein meal replacement for lunch. I mixed it with Alpro Soya milk and fruit (banana, blueberries or the like). This filled me up and I could last to dinner easily.

However 2 scoops were around 450 cals and I wanted to cut down on those, so changed to mixing with water only and that's how I take my shake these days. I now have tuna or chicken for lunch (both high in protein) whilst using protein drinks after workouts (1 scoop) to help repair those tired limbs.

You need to find what works best for you, that normally means following a routine for 4 weeks and monitoring progress. Personally I only want to drop 1lb per week anything more will not give me the body shape I'm working on. Shakes are less cals than a normal meal so can help with losing weight faster but for me that's a no no.

I think shakes are great if you're in a jam and need something quickly and high in protein, but I wouldn't use them as a meal replacement for any length of time. Maybe as a kick start they can be useful but long term as breakfast, lunch or dinner - hmm I think not. What's your thoughts on the opinions given so far.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    no
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    no

^this
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    I have actually used Body By Vi and Herbalife. They both helped me to lose weight at a steady rate. I mixed them with unsweetened almond milk instead of skim or 1% milk. The almond milk kept me full. I replaced breakfast and lunch along with 2 snacks in between meals. Not all of them are that bad and some promote building lean muscle.

But you have to keep in mind that somethings don't work for everyone. It worked for me and I was satisfied with my results.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I have actually used Body By Vi and Herbalife. They both helped me to lose weight at a steady rate. I mixed them with unsweetened almond milk instead of skim or 1% milk. The almond milk kept me full. I replaced breakfast and lunch along with 2 snacks in between meals. Not all of them are that bad and some promote building lean muscle.

But you have to keep in mind that somethings don't work for everyone. It worked for me and I was satisfied with my results.

And what other kinds of muscle are there?
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I drink herbalife for breakfast 4 to five days a week and somtimes for dinner. they are pretty good. I have at 6am then i'm good until 9:30 or so and have my snack or an early lunch. several different flavors to chose from.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Not me. I like food.
  • DarwinChick95
    DarwinChick95 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i did for a few months and gradually weaned back onto normal food so i didnt pile all the weight back on
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Not me. I like food.

like brussel sprouts and pumpkin pie?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Not me. I like food.

like brussel sprouts and pumpkin pie?

Brussel sprouts are in my food log today.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    UGH the dreaded MRS! Look, they are great in a pinch when you don't have time to make a proper meal... BUT you should really try and change your lifestyle. MOst people who lose all their weight with shakes gain it all back once they go off and start eating real food again. Why? Because they didn't change their lifestyle.

The best maintainable results come from clean eating and exercise. Always have, always will.

P.S. Slim Fast is NOT an option. Worse crap you could ever put in your body.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nope, for the most part meal replacement shakes are too high in sugar and don't give you any fiber. I do drink protein shakes after lift weights, but I try to stick to a low carb/low fat/high protein/high fiber diet. You look better, feel better, and feel satisfied.