ELLIPTICAL vs TREADMILL. Your thoughts please?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Elliptical because I have one in my bedroom in front of a TV and I would have to go to the gym for the treadmill. I hate the gym.

I prefer anything outside, though, over anything inside.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used to love the elliptical, but I actually injured myself more on it. Even though it is low impact, it is not natural movement like the treadmill is. Therefore it strained my ankle joint and caused me to get bursitis (before people think I'm making this up, this is straight from my physical therapist). So if you have any ankle or foot problems, the elliptical is not the best option.

Overall, I dislike the treadmill. I hate walking in place going nowhere. I do like the incline, however. I always felt the elliptical had more variety.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I do them both. It's a different workout on each of them. I tend to burn more calories on the treadmill (high incline, slower pace), but the elliptical is my warm up machine of choice.
  • NaEl1
    NaEl1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use both i started on the elliptical because i wanted to work up to running now i do treadmill and i love it!!!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, though I'll take running outside over it any day. I used to stick to just the elliptical because it would say I was getting these huge calorie burns, but I saw absolutely no results and I never really felt like I got a good workout. Running is much, much more challenging for me.
  • simonsaysso
    simonsaysso Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like them both for different reasons. When I'm on the treadmill I feel like I'm accomplishing something and I love the incline. The elliptical is great for a change of pace, a break on my joints and burns those buns! Overall I prefer the great outdoors but indoor equipment is a necessary evil. I"m currently debating buying one or the other machine for the bad weather days so bump for others opinions as well.

I agree with this100%.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day and how I'm feeling.
    I feel like I get a better workout on the treadmill, even though the calorie counter reads lower than the elliptical. However, when I get off of it I feel like I've really exerted myself and put a lot of effort in.

If I need to get some studying done and still want to go to the gym, I'll choose the elliptical. I can crank the resistance up for an hour or so while I'm reading notes if necessary.

About a year and a half ago (July of 2011) I was in a bad car accident that damaged my back. When I first got back into the gym I was incapable of running on the treadmill at all at that time. Anything more than a walk made me feel like I was going to pass out from pain - and truthfully even a fast walk was too much at times. At the time of my accident I had been in fantastic shape and was easily running a few miles everyday, so to suddenly be stuck at a crawl made me crazy. I started on the elliptical, and it didn't hurt but I didn't feel like I got the same workout.

In April of this year I was finally able to start creeping in a very slow jog on the treadmill. I was stuck around 5 mph, but could complete about a mile + at that pace. I've slowly been trying to up that over time, but generally speaking the sharp pains limit me. This past month I've finally been able to start increasing my pace again without the back pain but with the added 30 lbs of weight I have on me, there are other joint strains.

So if I'm having a bad joint or back day, I use the elliptical. If I feel the need to get my heart pumping and like I've exhausted myself, I use the treadmill!
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of the elliptical. In my opinion it gives you the most bang for your buck as far as time spent v. calories burnt. espcially if you do interval training on the elliptical you can burn some calories quick! I don't care for the treadmill personally because it hurta my knees and tires me out very quickly :/
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to be elliptical fan and hated treadmill. Now I do like treadmill with inclined too. I don't run.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The elliptical hurts my hips, so treadmill.

Of course, I like my bike best, but that wasn't an option... :tongue:
  • ngregory87
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical machine! I would eventually like to start running but I need to lose more weight before I do so. Due to being overweight my entire life, I've developed mild arthritis in my knees. The elliptical is low impact so I can workout longer and harder on the elliptical than if I were attempting to run on a treadmill - on which I would last about two minutes! :P
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I hate the elliptical, even with tough resistance I never feel like it's giving me a real workout.... it only looks like I'm working out. And the calories burned aren't all that. I get my heart rate up and breathing heavy with the treadmill with NO incline and just a steady pace. 45 mins of that on a regular basis is guaranteed toning for me.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Elliptical! I have arthrits and had a hip replacement in '05 and was looking at a knee replacement soon. After starting with my new elliptical machine I can now go up ladders on US Navy ships, (my job), with no pain and I have a whole lot more energy. I have also quit using all suppliments, (glucosamine, msms and chondroiten), as well as stop taking an 800 mg ibuprofen and ultram just to get to sleep. Way easier on the joints. Never tried a treadmill because of the joint issues.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    I'm only good at burning 800+ calories with an elliptical Plus it's the only thing where I can work out 6 days in a row and not be sore.

This is exacttly why I don't like the elliptical very much. Work out on it for days on end and never get sore...seems pointless IMO. I do use it to warm up before lifting.
  • stockytoskinny
    Options
    I'm so glad someone asked this question because my gym partner and I have been having a really tough time with the ellipticals at our gym. Both of us are fans of the treadmill but we've slowly been trying to work our minutes up on the elliptical as well. I understand that it's all down to personal preference but after reading this thread I'm definitely going to spend more time trying to get over my elliptical fears.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I try to run 3-4 times a week but not in a row. I use the elliptical in between... and usually keep it on full tilt with lower resistance... this way my legs get somewhat of a break but still challenging as hell. (and it works out the bum)
  • syounker70
    syounker70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Elliptical by far...way easier on my knees and legs and i burn more calories.
  • chuck211
    chuck211 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel like a weirdo using the elliptical. Am I the only one?

Me too!! But you gotta do what you gotta do!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Treadmill - It's much more versitile

You can walk, jog, run, steep incline, sprints, etc. Elliptical is boring for me.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Studies show that treadmills are far more accurate in calories burned than on the elliptical.

I choose the treadmill. :)

DITTO !