Do you have to be American to have thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• jenTjenTjenT
    jenTjenTjenT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, but by eating the food you would be renouncing your British citizenship.

LOL!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If I was supposed to be giving thanks to my fore fathers all these years, that was lost on me. Oops.

The tradition began before any of the people known as our forefathers were born, so I'm pretty sure you're OK. :smile:
  • psychic_atrophy
    Options
    To me, Thanksgiving is about just that, giving thanks. It's a time when I can spend time with family and reflect on what a wonderful life I have. As Americans, and really any Western country, we are so so very lucky just to have things like running water, medical care, and a meal on the table. In our own countries, states, and cities there are those that are starving and sick and homeless. And yet we have so much food that we abuse it. Thanksgiving should be about more that what's on the table. So for getting preachy there for a moment. But that's what Thanksgiving means to me, being thankful. And giving back if you can, donating money or time to those who are less fortunate.

Anyone can and should celebrate Thanksgiving. Its about family, togetherness, and gratitude.
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    Being a Black American, Thanksgiving has nothing to do with celebrating forefathers. I see it more as a day to spend with people that I love. I don't recognize it for historical reasons...because it would then be about forced intercourse, stealing, and genocide.

Eat up America!!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brit, married to an American. And I LOVE Thanksgiving. To me, it's one of the best holidays. Family getting together, no presents and a great dinner and a time to reflect on what one is thankful for. I think it's a great tradition, and I'm glad you're getting to experience it. Enjoy!

Best post ever!!
  • jjpavio
    jjpavio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well, you said you have lots to be thankful for, that's something that transcends nationality. I think the bit about the Pilgrims, etc is American, but being with those you care about and giving thanks for the people and blessings in your life isn't.

All my family but my parents/siblings live in the UK, and my mom never became a US Citizen, but she's the one who always told us it's the sentiment behind the holiday that matters, not the nationality. Plus, she learned to love corn and pumpkin pie, foods that were alien to her as a child and teen in Britain. So, if nothing else, you'll have a lovely time with friends and may also discover a new favorite food. Sounds like a win-win to me.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm not Mexican but I get the opportunity to celebrate Mexican Independence day in September with family and friends. I think of it as an honor to be considered for the invitation.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I guess it would make more sense to celebrate our Thanksgiving than our 4th of July, enjoy the meal.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    no more then you need to be french to enjoy Bastille Day.

Or Mexican to enjoy Cinco de Mayo.

Anyway, it's more of a tradition to just to take time to be thankful of the blessings that surround you.... and football.... and apparently now, consumerism.... but most of all just to be thankful.
  • chrishg
    chrishg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the wisdom of Brits eating Thanksgiving dinner with Americans - but I seem to remember there was a tea party in Boston that turned into a bit of trouble :)
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well its not really a holiday where you have to perfrom some religious ceremony and its not going to conflict with your morals. Just go and eat the good food and enjoy the company. That's pretty much what we do here in the US.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    There is usually no religious association with thanksgiving so most everyone recognizes the holiday. Thanksgiving means getting the family together around food and catching up!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian. We have Thanksgiving. For us it's just a harvest festival. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

Think of it that way?

As in - just a moment to appreciate all we have and be thankful for good food and good friends!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Don't feel awkward at all..I work for a European company in the U.S. and my ex-patriat friends here all LOVE to go to American Thanksgiving celebrations. Its a fun tradition to think about what you are thankful for in life, and to enjoy some good food (and watch football) with friends...

Have a good time! :drinker:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I say who ever wants to can. Its a day to be thankful. Way back in those days, they were thankful for the opportunity to start a new world. And for the harvest, food. There are many cultures that celebrate a "harvest day" type meal in wall/winter.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to be American. You absolutely cannot partake in family meals of turkey and delicious sides at any time if you are not American.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    do you think you have to be American/Canadian to really celebrate thanksgiving?

nope, have fun :)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brit - I've had Thanksgiving in Canada when visiting my cousin and Thanksgiving in the US when staying with friends.
    Both times it was lovely to be in a lot of friendly company with amazing food, and sampling things I wouldn't normally have (mmmmmm candied yams!)

Seriously????

Some people have chosen to invite you round to share a meal and their hospitality... I am struggling to see how you would be feeling out of place.

My parents were from Mauritius and whenever I cook authentic Mauritian food for my fellow Brits, they love the whole experience of trying something new.
    Go and enjoy it.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a girl from Great Britain and someone actually asked her if they had Thanksgiving over there. She said yes, they celebrated when the Pilgrams left :) Not really relevant, just thought that was funny:laugh:
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Actually while we're on the subject is there ANY way of making candied yams and staying within your macros.
    For that I would be TRULY thankful...!