did p90x make you want to throw up???

Options
I started doing P90X today (the Intervals one) & 20 minutes in I honestly felt like I was going to throw up & had to stop! I'm not usually such a baby with workouts, but I guess I've gotten pretty out of shape since I had my baby...

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that a.) I'm not the only one, and b.) that it gets better with time-- And motivation to continue doing it despite this bad first experience!

Replies

• drbaska
    drbaska Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You picked a challenging program to get back into shape with - but you will get stronger. I've definitely heard from others about feeling sick, and even throwing up. What made you choose P90X? Is this your first foray back into working out since you had your baby?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I was at my parents house and thy had p90x so I decided to mix things up and do the cardio one for fun. I made it through the whole thing but after wards I did feel a touch unwell. I pushed myself pretty hard in it though.
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Becoming nauseated while exercising is a side effect of your body freaking out because you've pushed it too hard too fast. I know we've seen it on the Biggest Loser, but it's really not a good state for your body to be in. Ease into the exercises regime. P90x is a very intense program, ensure you PACE YOURSELF, and drink plenty of water. Rest when you need it. You will become more capable of enduring the workouts as time goes on, so don't worry that you aren't doing enough.
    It would be a good idea to wear a heart rate monitor to keep and eye on you heart rate. Calculate your max, and ensure you do not go over it. As a bonus, that trusty heart rate monitor should also tell you your total calories burned (which is awesome).
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I started doing P90X today (the Intervals one) & 20 minutes in I honestly felt like I was going to throw up & had to stop! I'm not usually such a baby with workouts, but I guess I've gotten pretty out of shape since I had my baby...

That probably means you couldn't quite handle the intensity level (and also that you got a good workout b/c you pushed yourself). Keep at it, just take it a bit slower.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    It did make me throw up the first time I did it (I ended up doing 2 rounds anyway). Embarrassing but true.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I first started it, I was more of a heavy lifter, bulky, and very low reps with very heavy weight. I wanted to try something different, and I thought I would kick the programs *kitten*. That's only because some of the people doing it, I thought I could kick their *kitten*. So, the logic follows. The first one, I almost threw up. I was not used to thht kind of intensity, meaning the constant working. I was used to longer rest periods, and more short bursts of energy with heavy weight (3 reps). Not moderately heavy for 8 reps, and then again and then again and then again. I barely made it through my first couple of weeks. But, from there, it got better. Now, I kill it. So, yes, you'll condition your body for it over time.

Now, I'm interested in getting back into the heavy stuff. But, I don't have the gear, and I hate gyms. Trying to figure out what to do.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I threw up once while running...it's from working too hard
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    These programs are meant to be hard. I remember transitioning from p90x to Insanity. I felt like throwing up every time, and I was working out regularly at the time! They are just meant to push even athletic people. Make sure you take breaks if your heart rate gets too high.
  • kclynn7
    Options
    P90X didn't, but insanity def made me want to throw up.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel that way sometimes. It's not great.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I wanted to throw up when I heard the trainer's cheesy jokes!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    No, but I didn't jump into P90X until I was already pretty fit. Now that I am where I want to be weight wise, I am focusing on getting stronger. If you're feeling physically ill, you need to back it off a little bit.

How did you do on the P90X fit test?
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Ive turned green a few times. drink less water before/during andvtry not to eat right before. :) it gets better-keep pushing!
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    P90x made me feel like I was going to throw up. Insanity actually made me throw up. Until I invested in a heart rate monitor and realized I was working my body too hard. Pace yourself. The way most of the p90x Dvds (with the exception of legs/back and the cardio workouts) are structured, there is a clear halfway point. I used to fast forward to the cooldown at the point when I first started.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    no
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    intensity-gauge.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    no

^this
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Don't try to make it through an entire P90X video the first week! Just do what you can.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I wanted to throw up when I heard the trainer's cheesy jokes!

This.

But yes, I got nauseous the first time or two. Throttle back on the intensity for now. You don't have to keep up with the trainer or the on-screen exercise models. In time, you will get more fit, and you won't have that same reaction.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    only if you are a girl.