Thanksgiving Rants - I'll start

Options
13»

Replies

• Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No complaints here. I get the delicious food my father makes. And sire I know longer talk to my insane mother, I don't have to deal with any BS.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    being nice for one day is hard when an entire family is encouraging divorce the second you are not with the SO

outside of all the belittling, snickering, and alienating. But even smiley snarky comments are hard on me. I'm an unmedicated bipo. (bipolar) unmedicated do to bad reactions to nearly every medication they put me on.

its easy to judge a situation your not in. but try to remember, this time of the year is hard on some ppl. and a "suck it up" attitude and lecture is not really going to help.

Absolutely no judgment intended. I was only commenting on the people who are whining about someone not washing dishes, or helping to clean up or eating and not contributing or drinking too much. I would never encourage anyone to be a part of something that borders on emotional abuse. In that case, I would choose to stay home. So sorry for you situation. :flowerforyou:

:blushing: thanks for your kind words.

and i wanted to. i kinda hoped i'd get sick, catch the flu, something like that.

no such luck.

i'm hoping cupcakes with help me out. outside of that my plan is to hide and read book/play 3ds.
  • TashiaMH
    TashiaMH Posts: 70 Member
    Options

No really, I can't. I'm avoiding the details for personal privacy reasons, but really the family is bat **** crazy and intolerable. Just needed to rant. All is good. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ha! Yea... that's my husband's side of the family... crazy!

I pissed off my MIL this week so she cancelled coming to Thanksgiving dinner. It's going to be the best Thanksgiving ever now! :happy:
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    All the family is on the east coast. We used to do big family get together, everyone bring a dish or two to pass, the hostess did the turkey and stuffing. The women cooked, the men cleaned up and washed the dishes. The guys watched football, the kids played outside, and the women chatted.

I really miss it. When my husband was in grad school, there were other students that we could share meals with. After grad school, we are still the other side of the country, and haven't been back to visit in a few years due to job uncertainties (better to save that vacation time and money for if they cut his job.)

But, we will skype with family, have a good meal, maybe go for a walk. Not the same as being with loving family though.
  • gabmoody
    gabmoody Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I am Australian, no Thanksgiving here - sound like a nightmare!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Being in Canada we already had our Thanksgiving, but I could rant about various things. This year I found a way to solve all problems with undesirable behaviour from certain parties. I invited a couple of single friends who no one else really knew. Everyone was on their best behaviour. My fam and inlaws are decent people but the holidays stress different people out and there's are sometimes "behaviours" to deal with. I'm glad to find that my little scheme worked out in mitigating this. I'm sure it would not work in all families.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Any inclination to rant I may have is overcome by remembering that my nephew just returned from Afghanistan last night and will be at the Thanksgiving table tomorrow. Y'all have a great holiday ... hope it goes smoothly for everyone. :)

This will be such a special holiday!!!! Please tell him thank you for all he has done for his country.
  • ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    MIL is a big food pusher, constantly filling people's plates with food they don't like. She still hasn't learned her 49 y/o son hates veggies (she saved his untouched cauliflower and carrots from last night). Thanksgiving isn't about having every root veggie Newfoundland can grow or a *kitten*-ton of food in general.

I have to act like a ninja to get my food, otherwise it's a knife fight to keep the GD veggies I hate off my plate. They also have this fascination with serving me corn because I'm from Iowa. They think I have to have corn with every meal. Also, they think I need to have 2 Thanksgiving meals because I'm American. Canada has theirs in October. I'm fine with one Thanksgiving; granted it's weird to have it before Halloween, but that's me.

And they never have pumpkin pie. WTF? :huh: Though the Beothics may not have had pumpkins, they sure as hell didn't have tiramisu! I bought a pumpkin pie this year for Canadian Thanksgiving and guess what? IT VANISHED. Even the non-dessert eaters ate pumpkin pie.

Just so this isn't all IL hate, my maternal grandmother enjoyed picking on what I ate. Her picking got so bad I got my food and hid in the car to eat from then on. Then her mantra became "How is Zyxst so fat? I never see her eat?" I'm glad that b*tch is dead.

YOU ARE HILARIOUS!!!! I am laughing my aXX off!!
  • lj4n
    lj4n Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yup, already had our Thanksgiving in Canada AND we do have pumpkin pie every year even with whip cream!!! Seems weird to me to have Thanksgiving so close to Christmas. I have had the occasion more than once to be doing all the cooking & clean up for big turkey dinners alone but as I listened to some of the conversations, to put it politely coming from the 'other' room I was glad not to be part of it. No complaints from me!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I like food.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My only rant is the gym being closed. :(
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    No rants here. I've finally gotten to the place where I claim the holidays for my own family to celebrate as we please. No more crazy relatives, drama, or stress.
    We visited with the in-laws (love them!) on Tuesday because hubby will be working 7a-7p tomorrow. Thanksgiving Day will be just the children and myself. We will bake all our favorites--in our jammies, if we wish!--make "what I'm thankful for" crafts, and listen to Arlo Guthrie sing "Alice's Restaurant". Our own little traditions!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Not a rant, but a little sad that my son won't be joining us for Thanksgiving. He's in college at Georgia Tech and the break is too short to justify flying him home. He's just about my favorite person in the whole world.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I miss my mom (it has been 4 years) and my MIL (10 years now), and the debates over whose house we have dinner! I'm sorry my kids don't have a "grandma's house" to go to.

Now there's no debate. I cook for whomever wants to come - this year we're 17, with folks coming from both sides of the family. So excited that m 12 year old daughter wants to get up early and help cook, like I did with my mom years ago. The circle of life!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

And they never have pumpkin pie. WTF? :huh: Though the Beothics may not have had pumpkins, they sure as hell didn't have tiramisu! I bought a pumpkin pie this year for Canadian Thanksgiving and guess what? IT VANISHED. Even the non-dessert eaters ate pumpkin pie.

No pumpkin pie is unacceptable! We have back-ups in case our pie bringers don't bring enough!!
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It seems that no matter where we go there is drama. I have had it. Time to define our town traditions.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My only rant is that since it was just my own little family for Thanksgiving I had no one to send leftovers home with!